It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D2EA] On the Catwalk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:20 am 

Touki had walked the garden many times before. He led them down a familiar path, walking at a leisurely pace, snow crunching softly under his feet. He had a very precise mode of walking, as though following an invisible line.

"Oh? Do you remember anything from Scorpion lands?" Touki glanced at his walking companion, eyebrows raised. "I've been several times. Most recently a year ago. I was a guard in the Lion delegation to the new governor in Ryoko Owari. It's ... interesting." He shook his head, half-smiling. "Fine to visit. But I don't think I'd like to live there."

"Did you have a favorite place?" Other people's interests always fascinated Touki; another way to occupy his mind, perhaps.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:31 am 

"Ryoko Owari also. I was quite young, so my memory is not the best. I remember thinking the buildings were built very differently, and it seems more alive and colourful. Like it was always a festival or something. I was travelling with my mother, as she was returning to visit her parents. The one and only time I met my grandparents before they died."

Homura looked thoughtful at the question.

"Hmm, my favourite place. And I can't say in your wonderful company?" she grinned "I would have to say the Ikoma Libraries. It was a quite incredible sight, and so peaceful."

Well, my favourite place is in a lovers bed, but that's not a singular location

"What about Akodo-san? If not Ryoko Owari, then where is your favourite place?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:51 am 

"Always a festival. That's an apt way of putting it, Ikoma-san." He said before flashing a quick smile at her. "And you can say that. But I'd think you were just flattering me."

Touki's smile lingered on her a moment longer as they rounded a gentle path. "I've been to the Ikoma Libraries. I found it almost daunting. All that history." He took a deep breath. "But yes, certainly impressive. And peaceful."

"In your charming company." Touki deadpanned, but then his expression turned from almost playful to thoughtful. "Perhaps... hmmm. I best remember when I first saw the ocean. I didn't just walk down to the beach. I went up to a viewpoint. Cresting that hill, and seeing it for the first time..." Touki's shoulders rose and fell as he took a deep breath in and out. "I don't think I understood the ocean until I saw it. All that vastness... I stayed there for some time, gawking." He sighed. "I do not know if it is my favorite place, but perhaps my favorite memory of a place."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm 

"The history is in more than just the scrolls too, but I can't imagine you were allowed into the restricted section" Homura lowered her voice slightly to sound more conspiracy like, but the grin on her face hinted at teasing at least.

"Of course my charming company would be the best place to be. Everyone always acknowledges that I am a delight Akodo-san" she chuckled "although hearing how you have described the ocean....I've truly never looked at it. I usually travel between cities and normally don't stop to enjoy the nature around us. Which is something I need to do more. I have always prioritized getting to my destination much earlier, so I can learn the layout of a city quickly, but usually I don't need to be as early as I arrive. It does mean I get to spend an evening writing up the many letters I send to people though."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:34 pm 

"The restricted section." Touki's eyebrows went up, amused. "How intriguing. Are great mysteries contained within? I suppose Akodo aren't allowed..." He shook his head sadly.

A quick smile, his olive eyes glinting as Homura described herself, and then Touki nodded. "In other circumstances, I would suggest that-", he pressed his lips together a moment, "-some of us visit the same spot I did to see the ocean. That seems unlikely, now."

Touki's expression brightened a little. "Well, there is other beauty to see. Have you had a chance to enjoy this garden, Ikoma-san? Or have your letters stopped you... official duties, I take it?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 pm 

"When a samurai is born, a reading is taken of their lives and stored in the restricted section. They're then watched so every moment of their life is documented. We're always watching you."

She was clearly teasing him, although he may miss the hint as her expression was neutral.

"Perhaps once this enemy has been defeated, you can take me to view the spot from where you saw it? It sounds like an enjoyable sight, and sharing the beauty of the world with a friend would only improve it, ne?" she smiled at him "as for this garden, I was here yesterday showing Agasha Poemu-sama around. She had not heard the story of the garden, so I was able to share that with her as well. I hadn't been close to the tree before though, do you know if it's a Willow tree or something else?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:14 pm 

Touki looked at Homura. "Just how closely are you watching, Ikoma-san?" He murmured, his eyebrows going up.

He sighed, smiling just a little. "And yes. We shall do that. Once this is over." His eyes widened, a response to the pang in his heart at the sight of her smile... but it was less pain this time, more just an emotional remembrance.

"The Kenku tree?" Touki frowned, turning so as to get a better look at it from where they now stood. "A willow, yes, I believe so." His eyebrows went up. "Did the Agasha enjoy the tale?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm 

"That's confidential" Homura said with a grin.

"Are you asking if someone enjoys a story from the Ikoma, Akodo-san? There is no better storytaller than an Ikoma you know! Hai, she enjoyed the tale. As it was a story about the Phoenix, I had to flesh it out a little to make it interesting, but nonetheless it was still a good story. Although I do wonder if it is more rumour than fact, perhaps if one stands under the tree and issues a challenge to the Kenku it will appear. I should try that next time."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:49 pm 

"I see." Ever so briefly, Touki flashed a grin back at Homura. "I shall have to be careful, then."

He nodded. "Of course, you're right. I wish you'd been at the shrine earlier when I was trying to explain the legend of Matsu Hitomi to a Daidoji."

Frowning thoughtfully, he continued to study the great Willow. "So it is said. If you do, I shall be your second." His eyebrows went up. "And yet, I had an interesting discussion with a Shosuro the other night. Perhaps the Kenku has tired of the sword, and is waiting for someone to paint an amazing painting. Or trim the perfect ikebana." He gestured to a large maple, not far from where they were, a little off the path. "I often play the flute under that tree. Perhaps I should switch trees."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:12 pm 

"Do you need to be careful if you are dutiful?" Homura teased with a wink.

"A legendary swordsman, er, swordsbird, who has trained generations of swordsbeings throughout its life, but now wishes to find something new to inspire them. Hmm...that's a curious idea. Although, does an artist ever bore of their trade, if they have dedicated years to it? For all we know, these Kenku are so long lived that the way of the sword is all they know. I would love to speak to one though."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:53 pm 

Touki's chin tilted up as he smiled. "There is more to the life of even the best samurai than duty, Ikoma-san." He murmured, matching her. Well, partially matching her; at his best, Touki was still somewhat subdued.

"The legends do seem to speak of them as so dedicated." Touki said, frowning thoughtfully. "It is an interesting idea, that one might seek something else, but I expect that's all it is. Actually, I expect that the whole of the legend is an interesting idea."

He paused, turning to look at Homura. "And yet, Kenku are real." He said, still frowning thoughtfully. "Perhaps I should not doubt... and perhaps you will get your chance to speak to one someday."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm 

"Is there?" There was still that teasing in her tone, her grin not going away.

"Just think if every legend we heard of was actually real and true. Many that were myths are coming to life as it is, ne? The Naga, the Nezumi, the Kenku. All things that might seem unimaginable if you go back only a couple of years, yet they're all talked about and in the Naga's case even here. Perhaps even the Crab are not over exaggerating their issues beyond the wall either?" Homura shrugged. "I'll continue to try, and if the kenku shows up I'll show my skills."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 pm 

Touki gave her a look, eyebrows raised. "There is. It almost sounds as though you'd be interested in learning more, Ikoma-san." He murmured, his deep voice innocent.

"Yes." He agreed. "Many myths, both good and ill. I remember wishing I'd been in the campaign in the Shinomen..." He gazed off, sighing almost wistfully. A lifetime ago...

Shaking his head, he looked back at Homura. "I should like to see a Kenku, I think." His tone didn't sound very excited, but perhaps that was just how Touki was. "Perhaps I should try as well."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:45 am 

Oh? What have we here?

"The Ikoma Library records are thorough Akodo-san" Homura dropped her voice, keeping the slight edge of tease in it.

"From what I hear, it was a brutal campaign. Many samurai fell to ensure the Naga fell in line, but we were successful. If you want to learn more about the campaign, I suggest talking with Matsu Tani-sama. She is one of the veterans from that campaign here in this city, and has been in battle with the Naga Lords that ruled the Shinomen Mori. As for the Kenku, it only seems to be interested in Iaijutsu from what I hear. Perhaps we should arrange to borrow some bokken to train under the tree?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:14 am 

"Hmmm." Touki murmured. "Then perhaps I should be asking you about them. They sound intriguing." His expression remained innocent, but his dark olive eyes glinted as he gave Homura a sidelong glance.

It was harmless, wasn't it? Nothing to feel guilty about.

Touki pushed the thought away. "Matsu Tani." He echoed, his eyebrows going up, clearly impressed. "Perhaps I should. And perhaps we should." He gave Homura a nod. "My draw is not nearly so quick as yours, but I am well-practiced with the sword." Touki said modestly. "Perhaps it will be enough to draw the Kenku's attention."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 am 

"Hmm, they are confidential. But, with the right incentive I could perhaps give you some hints" Homura smirked.

you are fun to toy with Touki-kun.

"There are others also, I just recommended Matsu Tani-sama as one of our kin. She is more approachable than the others I've met as well. Togashi Iko-sama has other tales as well, and she was the one trained by the Kenku also, although she doesn't like being reminded of it so I would guess she gets asked about it a lot."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 am 

"Well then." Touki's gaze went down, his cheeks coloring just a little, mixed excitement and guilt. "I could certainly provide incentive, if it comes to that."

He cleared his throat. "In fact, I'd be interested in meeting Matsu Tani-sama. I've heard of her skill as a warrior. It would be an honor and a privilege to test my skills against hers." His eyes narrowed. "The name Togashi Iko is not known to me. How was it that she earned this honor?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:59 pm 

Homura leaned in slightly, whispering "I'll hold you to that, Touki-kun" before straightening up as if nothing was said.

"From what I understand, one only gets to be trained by a Kenku if they can defeat them in combat. I'm unsure if that's a duel or an actual skirmish, but Togashi-sama is one of the most talented duelists around, so it would support that theory. Makes me curious how good a Kenku is."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:47 pm 

A quick smile is the only indication that Touki heard anything.

"Is she?" Touki frowned, more in thought than concern. "Perhaps that is why her name sounds familiar. Alas that my draw is only fair."

He crossed his arms casually over his chest. "If the legend is true, the Kenku defeated all of the samurai in the village." The corners of his lips curled up, just a little. "Phoenix samurai."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:38 pm 

"That does give more validity to the story, ne? A Kenku came to face the Phoenix and left disappointed" Homura grinned "if the Kenku had come to a Lion city, they would have found many potential students. Thankfully for both, I'm here now."

She put her hands behind her back, looking around.

"To think they built a whole garden to display their failure."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next