It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D2EA] On the Catwalk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 pm 

Touki half-smiled. Again, it was more expression than he showed during the entirety of the previous night's meeting.

"It would not be my first choice. If you really wanted, well, I suppose I would have to. Although before we cut each other down, I hope you'd explain what I'd done to earn your enmity, Ikoma-sama." Touki said, his tone dry.

He cleared his throat. "But I'm afraid I don't take your greater meaning."

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:49 pm 

"You sound reluctant, which I am thankful for as I would prefer not to fight you either. However, my point was about killing someone that is your kin, even if that person was a killer. I'm a duelist after all" Homura motioned to the ground where her stance was previously.

"You speak of taking the fight to the Emperor's murderer. Can you look past that the Emperor's murderer is an Emperor? Or perhaps, was an Emperor? Can you raise your blade against a child of heaven?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 pm 

"I am reluctant. I'm enjoying this conversation. Touki murmured, but then he grimaced, looking off to the side. "But yes, I see your point. I said much the same to Ikoma Sugimoto-sama yesterday. As Lion, we are taught to revere our ancestors. And now those same ancestors have committed the greatest blasphemy, and move to cut the rest of us down."

He looked back to Homura, then down at his hands, which he spread. He was silent a few moments. "I think I could do it. Just as, if honor or duty demanded it, I could fight you." His lips twisted. "I hope you aren't offended when I say that would probably be easier for me."

Raising his head, Touki looked at her once more. "Still. It is just one more feeling to set aside."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:15 pm 

"If you said it would be more difficult to fight me than the Steel Chrysanthemum I would be more concerned Akodo-san."

Homura moved closer, her voice dropping.

"There will be need to fight soon, and it will be a fight that any honourable samurai will struggle with, because you are not fighting what you would consider a normal enemy. You are fighting history. Not just our own, but the whole of Rokugans history, lead by a child of heaven. You may even have to face your own ancestors. Many will not be able to do that."

There was a pause.

"Contingencies, ne?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:28 pm 

Touki smiled without humor. "I see that your wits are as sharp as your sword, Ikoma-san." He said, pitching his voice more softly to match hers.

He considered for a few moments, lips pursed. "It is said that misfortune in this life is the result of misdeeds in a past life." His lips pressed firmly together as he shook his head. "How must we have sinned, that the very ancestors we revere have returned to fight us?" There was real pain under his deep monotone.

Once more, he tilted his head, regarding her curiously. "Do you think you will be able to, Ikoma-san? Ah..." He tilted his chin up. "If you do not think the question too rude."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:39 pm 

"One needs to be sharp to survive the dangerous waters of court, Akodo-san" Homura said with a nod "I wish I could answer what we have done to cause such a thing. However, when you look at the incidents that have happened just in the last five years, it seems less of a surprise that this is happening. Our actions now will be what we are truly based on."

She paused as he asked his question.

"Am I an honourable women, Akodo-san?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:46 pm 

Touki sighed. When he looked at Homura, she would once again see that pain in his eyes, the same as when she'd surprised him with a smile. "As it happens, Ikoma-san, I have come to much the same conclusion."

He frowned then, looking at her with narrowed eyes. At one time, he'd fancied he'd been able to measure someone by studying them. But that was before... when things like that had more meaning.

Touki shrugged, just a little, his broad shoulders rising and falling. "I don't know, Ikoma-san. But I have no reason to think otherwise."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:51 pm 

"That, Akodo-san, is the correct answer to say."

Homura grinned, not confirming either way.

"As for your question, I say truthfully; without any hesitation, yes. And once the deed was done, I would offer my life to atone for doing such a deed, even if it is removing a great evil from this world."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:43 am 

Touki smiled, just a little. "I like to think that I manage to say the correct thing from time to time." He murmured. Her grin was nice, and didn't remind him quite so much of her.

His expression sobered. "As is proper." He gazed off into the middle distance. "I suppose I would, too. I hadn't thought that far ahead." His monotone stayed the same; it seemed he didn't much care one way or another.

With a gentle shake of his head, he looked back at Homura. "I expect many others say they are willing, but would find they are not when the time comes. I don't doubt you, Ikoma-san." He gave a quick bow. "But others may find their honor is strong until it is truly tested."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am 

That's because I'm not honourable Touki-kun. I'm a true Ikoma.

"I'm one for the moment. It's much better when you live in the now, rather than worry about the what next. If you can enjoy the moment, then when the time comes for you to pass to the next life you can pass without any regrets. It's how I live life, and it's worked well for me so far, but the Ikoma are very different from the Akodo or the Matsu, ne?" Homura grinned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:04 am 

Again, Touki found himself smiling to match Homura's grin. Well, a little bit, anyway. "That's certainly true, Ikoma-san." He said, gently amused. "Although I must say, if there's anything I've found true about your clan, it's that you defy expectation."

The thoughtful expression returned. "Yes. A samurai is supposed to die without regret. Or fear." His lips twisted. "Or desire, I suppose, although that one seems much less relevant.
Enjoyment..." He was silent for a few moments considering. What would death hold for him? Not much, he suspected, which left him ambivalent.

His head tilted. "Does that mean you don't often consider the future, Ikoma-san?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:37 am 

"I very rarely consider the future Akodo-san, because that is the life of a duelist. My future is either enjoy the flowers on display, or prepare for a duel that may be my last moments. In that sense, the future is not for me to decide. I'm not an ambitious woman, I don't have grand ideas of who I would want to be or where I want to go. I simply live to serve the Lion in the best way I can."

Homura shrugged.

"If I can serve with duty and honour, and with a smile on my face, then I can go into the next life content."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:11 am 

Touki considered this for a time, his expression thoughtful. "I cannot find any fault with your reasoning, Ikoma-san. The life of a duelist must balance on the edge of a blade. Although I think I have no more ability to shape the future than you do." He took a breath. "And, death can come to samurai at any time. May it find all of us content."

He frowned suddenly, as his conscious mind caught something his unconscious mind had first noted. "Flowers, miss?" She'd put a strange spin on the word.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:21 am 

"I think you have a bright future Akodo-san, you just haven't found it yet. The Akodo always have very bright futures, so that us Ikoma can tell stories about them for generations" Homura said with a nod, although it fell into a frown at his question.

"By the kami...It doesn't matter Akodo-san, don't worry" she shook her head "it's a courtly phrasing that apparently isn't as well understood as I believed it to be."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:32 am 

Touki chuckled ever so dryly. "We do appreciate it, I assure you. Even if it does not always seem that we do. We Akodo are not always the best at expressing ourselves."

What there was of his smile faded. "Although, my future..." His lips pressed tightly together.

After a moment, Touki shook his head, eyebrows going up. "Forgive my ignorance, Ikoma-san. As a guard, you would think I would be privy to phrasing and gossip. In truth, it's often safer to not listen; your On cannot be tested by something truly scandalous if you don't overhear it."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:36 am 

"Your future is what you shape it to be Akodo-san. I could give a lecture on the importance of honour in all your actions, but I think Matsu Kōgyoku-sama claims the rights to that. I would want to take that from her."

Homura shook her head.

"If you really wish to know, in this instance Flowers refers to the courtiers and artists, dressing up in their finest to look their best for court. Thus, flowers."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 am 

"Of course." Touki said, fighting a half-smile. "It wouldn't be proper to take what a superior has already clearly laid her claim to." His expression turned thoughtful. "But my future is at the whims of my superiors and fate, in equal measure." He shrugged. "Such is the life of a samurai, isn't it?"

"Flowers." He echoed. "It makes sense." He looked at her, lips parting, then shook his head, leaving whatever he'd been about to say unsaid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 am 

"All of our futures are at the whims of our superiors Akodo-san. Even a duelist like me. Mine is more just which court when and where. Although that seems to be either Lion or Crane lands, so hopefully it will extend further out. I spoke to a member of the Dragon delegation who mentioned about an invite to their lands, which would be very interesting."

She tilted her head when Touki chose not to speak, but let it go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:57 am 

"Dragon lands..." Touki frowned thoughtfully. "Would that be a first? I have never had the opportunity to travel there. I have been to Phoenix, and Scorpion. Being stationed here was the first time I'd seen the sea."

He gave her one of his half-smiles. "It sounds as though you have an interest in travel, Ikoma-san. Shall we travel about this garden, and you can tell me about it? It's a little chilly to stand in one place and talk."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 am 

"Seems we have almost traveled to the same places. Though instead of Phoenix, it was Crane. Hai, let us walk, it will do good to keep moving, lest we become ill on the eve of battle" Homura moved into step alongside Touki, nodding to him. "Lead on Akodo-san."

She nodded as they began walking.

"It would be a first time for me travelling to the Dragon lands. I have been to the Crane lands on multiple occasions, and a visit when I was much younger to the Scorpion lands. Otherwise it's been nothing but Lion lands."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next