It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:39 pm

Post subject: [D2EA] On the Catwalk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm 

(eggspecting)

Touki had not been exaggerating when he'd told the Shosuro that he spent a good deal of time in the garden. There was his evening performances, of course. But also, he often took a walk there when he needed to clear his head. Under normal circumstances, that was fairly often. With recent events, Touki suspected it might be simpler to set up a tent in the corner, if such things were allowed.

Dressed in his simple court kimono, well-made and stylish, but slightly ill-fitting, Touki strolled casually through the garden. His expression could not be called serene; it never could. But its usual neutrality was perhaps a touch more pleasant than usual.

He paused a moment, glancing around, his dark eyes sweeping the garden. He was near the center now, and while clever use of space meant much was hidden from his gaze, this was probably the best vantage point available.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

Post subject: Re: [D2EA] On the Catwalk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:59 pm 

Homura had spent much of yesterday both in the garden and talking about the garden. One things the ancient Sparrow farmer in the bath had mentioned was training in the garden, and while Homura hadn't done it before nor had any interest in giving the woman credit, it did seem like a good idea.

Her sparring earlier with Tani was very much not where she was at her best. She was a duelist, trained for the first strike more than trained for war. So under the willow tree, where apparently a Phoenix had failed to impress a Kenku (no shocks there) Homura stood. Eyes closed, in a perfect dueling stance. Silently waitnig a perfect moment to perform the single perfect cut.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 pm 

The willow tree was in a prominent place in the garden. Touki could hardly fail to notice it, nor the somewhat familiar figure underneath it. Recognition lit in his dark eyes.

He considered a moment, frowning, before beginning to make his way slowly over. His feet padded softly, but not exceptionally so, on the path; an alert listener would hear him, but could tune him out. He would come to a stop nearby Homura, but a safe distance away; there was always the chance she was about to practice a lunging draw cut of some sort, and he didn't especially want any bruises.

Touki waited expectantly, arms folded casually across his chest, waiting for Homura to strike.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:42 pm 

Time seemed to slow, the wind blowing through her long hair. It was freezing, and you could see the Lion duelists breath, but she seemed to not feel the cold. In a sudden moment her eyes opened, and she struck forward with a fast-sweeping arc, slicing an imaginary opponent with her blade, pausing at the end before shaking the imaginary blood off and sheathing her blade.

She then turned, giving the man a smirk before bowing.

"Two more steps forward and you would have been in my striking path Akodo-sama."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:55 pm 

Touki was perhaps best described as an indifferent duelist, choosing instead to focus on perfecting his strikes. Still, he could tell that Homura was both fast and good. His eyes widened a little as she suddenly lashed out, cutting through the air, and no doubt an imaginary opponent. Down to flicking their imaginary blood off her very real blade.

Her comment earned a half-smile from Touki; it was more expression than he'd displayed during the entirety of the meeting. "In that case," Touki bowed, "-I'm glad I was careful not to draw any closer. You have a good strike, Ikoma-san. I would not care to stand in it's way."

He straightened, clearing his throat. "I apologize for interrupting your practice, miss. Did you want some privacy? This garden is a good place for it."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:25 pm 

"I chose this location for the exact opposite in fact Akodo-san. In life, you rarely get to face an opponent in the perfect situation, without distraction from the elements or those around you, or even the terrain" she brushed her feet along the snow to emphasize her point "I am acutely aware of those walking the garden paths. The crunching of the snow, the biting wind and freezing cold. Yet I need to place myself in the zone to place the perfect strike, lest I fail my duties.

Homura smirked.

"So please don't feel like you're distracting me. You are, but for a good reason" she chuckled. "You were at the uh, tactical discussion yesterday, ne? I don't believe we properly met, I am Ikoma Homura."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:39 pm 

Touki's eyebrows went up, just a little. "I see. Very good, Ikoma-san. A commendable attitude. And one I will admit I hadn't considered. Perhaps I should practice here as well, sometime. And not just in hopes of the Kenku noticing." He didn't quite smile, but his lips quirked a little at that; it was possible that he was joking.

He bowed again. "Akodo Touki. It is a pleasure to meet you, Ikoma-san." His voice was a deep monotone. Straightening, Touki cleared his throat. "And yes, while were both at yesterdays discussion, I think it's fair to say that we haven't properly met until now. It was not, after all, a social gathering."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:54 pm 

"There's a saying my mother used to use that would always annoy my father; Spend little time on the plan, for the only thing that is certain is that everything will go wrong. However, I have never seen any flaw in the words. We cannot prepare for the terrain being affected by the weather, nor the surroundings. Contingencies, ne?" Homura chuckled "as for the rumoured Kenku, speaking to one who has trained under a Kenku it appears to be as much a burden as a boon. However she is a talented duelist, so there must be benefits."

Homura adjusted her sheath, peace tying the blade so it couldn't be drawn and approaching Touki with a smile.

"It was not. However, if something of use was gained from it, then it was at least worth it. I'm not one for battle strategy, I know where my strengths lay and it's in the courtroom. Akodo-san I assume is a man of the field?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:43 pm 

"Your mother was wise." Touki said, nodding just a little. He blinked, though, as she went on. "I was not expecting even a second-hand account of being trained by a Kenku. Perhaps the legend is real, after all."

As Homura stepped forward, Touki suddenly stopped. No, froze. For just an instant, his eyes widened, more obviously hazel than dark now. His lips parted, a strange expression on his sharp features.

Her smile...

Perhaps it was not truly like hers. He could feel the memory of her slowly fading, even as he tried to hold onto it. But, for a brief moment, it was so like the smile that he remembered that he felt a shock run through his body, down to his very core. And just as evident, for an instant, on his face.

The moment passed.

Touki looked away, his face expressionless again. "I am." He said shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:56 pm 

"Hai, I hadn't...." Homura paused, looking at the man as he seemed to have some kind of episode. There was a frown, and she remained silent as the man recovered and looked away.

An honourable samurai wouldn't say anything, and wouldn't question it. Homura? Not that honourable. She moved closer, her voice dropping.

"What happened Akodo-sama? Are you ok?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:04 pm 

"It's... it's nothing." Touki said tightly. A muscle in his jaw clenched tightly, clearly an external sign of some sort of internal struggle. His normal bland monotone fairly throbbed with feeling.

Slowly, he looked back at her, taking a deep breath. "My apologies, Ikoma-sama. It's just..." Grimacing, he shook his head. It was strange, how it happened like this, and yet familiar. For a time after her death, the stranges things could set him off. Smells. Sounds. A distant glimpse, a vague shadow. They would send him spiraling back into memory and despair, all at once.

Another deep breath. "Sorry. For a moment... the way you smile. It reminded me..." He shook his head again. "I'm sorry. It's nothing." Back to the bland tone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 pm 

My smile? Perhaps a lover that left too soon?

Homura moved a little closer, nodding and whispering "I understand Akodo-sama. I will go and practice my draw again. Take the time you need." She used the distance to disguise a gentle comforting hand on his arm before moving away. Back under the tree, where she took her stance once again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:26 pm 

The touch on his arm made Touki briefly tense; Homura would feel the muscle tighten underneath her touch. But a moment later, she would feel him relax. Touki nodded, his eyes going to hers, a flicker of gratitude evident in them.

He straightened, watching, as she took her stance. "The battlefield, yes." Touki nodded evenly. "Know your strengths, as you say. In court, the best I can do is echo another's point, or stand at attention." A hint of a smile touched his lips. "On the battlefield, though, that's another matter."

His voice was normal, his expression pleasantly neutral. It was as though the little incident had never happened.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:42 pm 

"Wisdom comes in finding the opportunities that dilemmas provide."

Homura closed her eyes, letting the wind blow over her. Going silent as she took her focus, before another perfect strike.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:26 pm 

For a few moments, Touki studied her. The wind blew past him as well, hair fluttering gently.

"Hmmm." Touki murmured, grimacing ever so slightly. "We certainly do find ourselves in a dilemma. We shall have to be watchful for opportunities."

He stepped closer... very slightly. He still had no desire to be cut in half. "You were there, when the spirits attacked. Were you... there?" He wasn't sure he needed to clarify, but it seemed inauspicious to talk about the Emperor's murder too much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:40 pm 

The step closer brought Touki close enough that he could hear the blade being drawn with speed, Homura striking again. Another perfect strike, her pausing as she did before for a few moments before again flicking the imaginary blood off the blade and sheathing it agian.

"Hai. I was there. I saw a sight I shall never unsee. An Emperor slain before my very eyes by his traitorous ancestor" she turned to look at him, a very serious look in her eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 pm 

Touki met Homura's gaze evenly, nodding once. "It is a great tragedy for the Empire. Few samurai actually meet... met him, face to face. But I think it is rather like murdering the spirit of the Empire. It will touch all of us, in a way."

He tilted his head just a little, regarding her curiously. "Ikoma-sama, you say your strengths are in the courtroom. So you probably understand people." He shifted a little, arms still crossed, weight moving from one foot to the other. "It seems to me that people are still in shock. How do you think things will develop?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:06 pm 

"Hmm. That's a tough one" Homura looked thoughtful. "There will be a lot of anger, which you've experienced already. Then there will be some who try to take control of the situation, or worse exploit it. It will be up to our superiors to ensure that order remains."

There was a pause.

"I would expect a few that think they can resolve this in one swoop to rush ahead and try to take the fight to them as well."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:31 pm 

Slowly, Touki nodded. "That sounds like a good assessment, miss." His brows drew down, his expression turning thoughtful. "I am worried about despair, too. It seems like a possible reaction." His tone was neutral, as though discussing the weather. Which was terrible.

He turned his thoughtful look on Homura. "It sounds as though you have a different idea. Should we not take the fight to..." Touki grimaced, "-the Emperor's murderer?" Flat though his tone was, his eyes were curious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 pm 

"As long as the walls hold, despair should not take hold against any that believe in the Empire. As for taking the fight to the Steel Chrysanthemum?"

Homura looked to the mans blade, then back to Touki.

"Are you ready to fight me, here and now?"