It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D1LM] Preparing for the Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:32 am 

Chihaya just nodded.

There was no arguing with that.

Stepping away to the side, she watching with interest as he displayed the basics.

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:38 am 

Touki stared at Yukarin for a few moments, and then gave Chihaya a quick glance. Was this what it was like being a sensei? Only, every day?

He exhaled slowly, almost a sigh. "Perhaps it would be better to start like this." He turned again, holding the sword in front of him. "Your grip should be wide. Your sword should be pointed towards the enemies eyes. Too low, or too high, and you will tire quickly. Stand as I do." Holding still, he gave Yukarin a semi-encouraging nod.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:56 am 

"...wide. Okay."

She copied his grip, and her muscles relaxed a little, "Huh... I guess I should have thought of it more like a lever; Two distinct grip points make it feel much less like it's trying to slip out of my hands."

Practice sword held more firmly now, she moved on to her stance, which was actually worse than her grip had been. But that was swiftly taken care of and feet that had been parallel were now spread for stability. Overall, she looked much less like a mouse trying to pick up something twice its size.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:58 am 

Oh, young man, you have no idea.

Smiling faintly as he tried to dial back his teaching to her experience level, Chihaya just observed with hands tucked in sleeves.

Now try and teach children who cannot stop fidgeting or attempting to hit their neighbor upon the butt while practicing.

Rolling her head to the right, she listened to the crack of her neck. She felt old, some days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:37 am 

Yukinaga decided he needed to work some of this tension out. The morning and the news it brought were extremely disturbing. Since he had only arrived a night ago he had not yet had a chance to visit the dojo.

The scorpion bushi entered and observed proper forms of respect upon doing so. He noted the others but did not interrupt as they appeared to be teaching.

Yuki found his own spot on the floor and began with stretching so as not to pull any muscles during his practice.

Carries: Daisho, Tanto
When appropriate: Light Armor and yumi with arrows

Theme Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 pm 

Yasuki Yukarin wrote:
"...wide. Okay."

She copied his grip, and her muscles relaxed a little, "Huh... I guess I should have thought of it more like a lever; Two distinct grip points make it feel much less like it's trying to slip out of my hands."

Practice sword held more firmly now, she moved on to her stance, which was actually worse than her grip had been. But that was swiftly taken care of and feet that had been parallel were now spread for stability. Overall, she looked much less like a mouse trying to pick up something twice its size.

This time, Touki's eyebrows went up in (very mildly) pleased surprised. "That is a big improvement, Yasuki-san. And you are correct to think of it like that."

He glanced over as the Scorpion entered. Touki straightened briefly, greeting the newcomer with a bow, but he turned back to Yukarin; the lesson needed to be finished, after all. "Hold that stance. Make sure you are comfortable." He frowned. "Elbows in, a fraction more."

He gave her a nod. "When you feel you are ready, strike, like so." Moving at half-speed so she could see, Touki stepped forward, raising his practice sword, bringing it down as he planted his lead foot to connect with the head of the dummy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 pm 

Yukarin nodded, wiggling a little bit in place to make sure she was comfortable. When she was sure of her footing, she gave a swing. The strike was fair enough, considering she'd only practiced with her family's no-dachi a handful of times. There wasn't a lot of strength behind it, and it wasn't a very sharp or energetic strike. But it was clean and precise, not actually wavering.

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:40 pm 

Touki gave her a nod. "Well-struck, ma'am. That was very good." He intoned. From a Lion, that was practically jumping up and down with enthusiastic praise. Really, it was quite a good strike.

He gave her another nod. "Okay. Now, do it another nine-thousand, nine-hundred, and ninety-nine times. Then, I can show you the next strike." Tone and expression were both completely neutral. He was probably joking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:34 pm 

Chihaya raised an eyebrow at that particular advice, but said nothing.

Perhaps there were different teaching styles among the Lion...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm 

If there was joking, Yukarin didn't seem to react to it as such. Instead, her response was more... enthusiastic than anything.

"Hai! I know practice makes perfect, so I'll definitely give it that, Akodo-sensei. I probably will have to spread out so many repetitions over a few days though."

...well, maybe she WAS in on the joke after all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 pm 

Touki half-smiled. "Your enthusiasm speaks highly of you, Yasuki-san. And your dedication to your family's weapon."

Gently, he shook his head. "I am no sensei though, even if I showed you one technique." His eyes narrowed thoughtfully. "Perhaps I could show you another strike. You could work on that one in a few days, after you've finished your ten-thousand repetitions of the first one."

The joke continued.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 pm 

Yukarin glanced over to see there was a Scorpion on the other side of the dojo before turning back to start repeating the strike some.

"You're teaching me. That makes you my sensei. And you don't need to be A sensei to be someone's sensei. Anyways, I ~do~ pride myself on my memory. So I suppose teaching me now, even if I won't start for a while, couldn't hurt."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 pm 

Chihaya shrugged, letting him teach, and stepping further away so as not to interfere, before resuming her own training, this time beginning a kata which, interestingly, began with a very similar strike - but then flowed into a staccato pattern of parry, guard, and then strike, working through the 8 fundamental attacks a student might learn.

The motions were practiced and fluid, but never quite the same each time, always seeming to make some small adjustment for balance, or a difference in extension or angle, depending on distance from the dummy.

It was hardly impressive in complexity, but the execution was sound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 pm 

Touki gave the Sparrow a quick bow as she went back to her training.

He turned back to Yukarin. "Well." He chuckled, ever so softly. "I shall be a sensei for one, then."

Turning back to his dummy, he repeated the strike they'd just performed; this left him facing slightly away from Yukarin, so he looked back over his shoulder at her. "You see how my stance has reversed? I am standing just as I was before, but with my left foot forward instead of my right."

Touki shuffled back a little, maintaining the pose, and then stepped forward with another overhead strike. "It is very similar to the first, but you will feel slight differences. Your balance will be different. The set of your shoulders will be different." He gave her another nod. "So. Try it."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 am 

Yukarin lowered the blade a bit as she watched. She didn't start immediately, moving her feet a bit as though testing the steps out instead.

"...it's a bit like dancing. Yosh."

Raising the long wooden sword again, she was a quick learner it seemed since she was pretty clean with not just the steps but the balance of it.

"Feels like it too."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:56 am 

Yukinaga was a little ways off practicing his own swordplay, it was simple but fluid not a form for those that strike viciously but rather for one that flows like a razor wind the stabs and cuts he inflicted on the dummy were not that of a thunderous crash but a faint clack and scrape each blow lacked force but one with a sharp eye and knowledge would note each one landed in the gaps between where armor would be if this were a real opponent. Where helmet ended and neck would be exposed, where arm joints met body and were left just vulnerable enough to exploit.

He heard the comment from Yukarin and without breaking stride he commented "Some forms more than others but yes swordplay is much like a dance of death."

Theme Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:05 am 

Touki's lips parted, but shut again as he glanced over at the Bayushi. He cleared his throat. "Different clans have different thoughts about the nature of swordplay, of course." He said, his monotone voice exceptionally neutral. "Although the fundamentals are the same for each of us."

He turned, giving the Bayushi a more formal bow. "Bayushi-sama. Welcome to the Kyoki Dojo. This one is Akodo Touki." It was definitely his standard greeting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:11 am 

Yukinaga took a step from the dummy and gave a short bow in reply "This one is Bayushi Yukinaga. I apologize for my interruption of your lesson Akodo-San. I merely heard and reacted to the comment. I hope I did not offend with my input." he replied back noting the neutrality in the lion's tone not sure if it was normal or offended but he decided to play it safe, he was after all a visitor here.

Theme Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:22 am 

Yukarin hadn't heard the comment... or the following exchange. Her footwork had taken her a bit away where she wouldn't overhear. Not purposefully, actually; It was more that she was concentrating pretty fiercely now that she had something for her mind to think about besides being overwhelmed. Dance or no dance, she'd clearly found something inspiring, and she had at least the form to take on a four year old blindfolded Matsu... maybe even a five year old!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:09 am 

With On still solidly in place, Touki shook his head. "Not at all, Bayushi-sama. Your input is welcome, should you wish to give it."

He turned partially, the better to face all guests. "As I explained to Suzume-sama earlier, this dojo is open to all visitors. Lion or other clan. Experienced or beginner." He cast a quick glance over at Yukarin. "So long as they have the desire to better themselves." The whole speech was delivered in the same low monotone, with little variation; it was possibly just how his voice was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next