It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Post subject: I Need A Hero (Epilogue)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:38 am 

The search for Doji Etsui brings the survivors of Nikesake back to Toshi no Omoidoso, which yet stands, and then onwards to Morikage Toshi. Bodies litter the castle and surrounding lands, bloated from the rain as hundreds of crows pick at the dead, feasting on flesh.

Here and there, the corpses of Lion samurai shuffle about aimlessly, swinging their swords at groups of crows or hunching over the dead, feasting on whatever flesh the crows left behind.

Post subject: Re: I Need A Hero (Epilogue)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:46 am 

Striding briskly at the fore of the group is the irrepressible giant of the Crane clan, Kakita Masahiko. Ono slung over the shoulder guard of his heavy armor, he remains on high alert, ready to defend Lady Kitsu against any threat that might choose to engage their little posse.

Investigation/Perception roll vs. Ambushes=25

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:49 am 

It had been a long time since Tetsuko had ridden so hard and she could feel the saddle sores long before they reached their destination. She was not sure what they should expect as they neared the scene of the now deceased Emperor's Winter Court. Whatever fanciful ideas she might have had, well, they did not look like this.

Calmly she took in the scene before turning to her companions. "It seems the past few weeks have not been kind to Morikage Toshi." Her gaze settled on Kitsu Izumi, and she pushed her disgust down as best she could. "Is this close enough to the devastation for you Kitsu-sama?"

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 am 

Izumi slumps over her horse, scanning the environment with tired eyes. "This will suffice," she says, her gaze lingering on the undead Lion.

The daimyo carefully lowers herself from her horse and then leans against it, out of breath. "Someone should do something about them," she says after a moment.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:09 am 

Monkhbaatar sat atop Meushi, with his Dai-kyu at the ready. The ride had not been so hard for him as he was used to living in his saddle. He was tired, sure, but he had ridden longer, harder and faster before. He had backed off his best pace so that the others could keep up.

Equipment: Daisho, armor, dai-kyu, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:14 am 

Tsukimi had offered her assistance to the Crane back during the debacle over the Ambassador's sudden death, and when the call had come to ask for assistance, she had been more than willing to join the expedition in search of the Crane Champion.

She knew that if Togashi Motaro had been in need of help, she would've been glad to have such fine samurai with her. Even if unused to horse-riding, the Togashi nun had managed surprisingly well to keeping in the saddle.

It was a heavy burden on her soul that she didn't have her sacred swords with her - something that she would have to rectify in the future after this - so it had been a surprise to her that the Kakita had entrusted her with his katana for the dangerous mission. If she somehow lost that weapon, though, she'd probably hit the Pit of Despair on an emotional level rather than a physical one.

The sight of undead samurai shuffling about was a distressing sight, and she clutched the jade pearls of her prayer beads around her hand as her hand weaved in a mudra of tranquility. She tried to get a read on the number of undeads in the area.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:29 am 

Kitsu Izumi wrote:
Izumi slumps over her horse, scanning the environment with tired eyes. "This will suffice," she says, her gaze lingering on the undead Lion.

The daimyo carefully lowers herself from her horse and then leans against it, out of breath. "Someone should do something about them," she says after a moment.

Touki was keeping a careful eye on the (creepy yet sexy) Kitsu Daimyo as they traveled; he knew she'd been through a lot, and her health seemed poor.

He bowed. "As you wish, Kitsu-dono." He drew his long blade, moving to cut down the undead monstrosities as they shuffled about.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:32 am 

Masahiko's smile widened as he moved to support Touki, massive axe at the ready.

Battle!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:39 am 

Arrows would be of little use here. Sliding off her horse she freed her sword from its saya. "At least the slaughter spirits that someone released from from Toshigoku seem to be mercifully absent."

She nodded to Masahiko. "Shall we put these unfortunates out of their misery Kakita-san, Akodo-san?" Tetsuko took up a defensive position, ready to defend the other two bushi from the undead.

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:42 am 

Kami, Tetsuko! She's right there!

Masahiko blinked, then shook his head to regain his senses.

"Right. Yosh! Let's do what we do best!" Then he hacked the head off a zombie with a single swipe of his mighty axe.

That felt good.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 am 

Tsukimi cast a glance of did I just hear that to the Crane, but said nothing. She was here to help, not to get involved in Crane/Lion rawr.

She focused her inner fire, drawing a deep breath that ignited the embers within. Total concentration, breathe like fire.

Drawing the blade, the Lion on her arm shimmered like gold and she maneuvered to protect the Kitsu daimyo from any incoming harm.

----

D13 I Need A Hero. Activating Touch of the Void Dragon (Fire). TN 15: 5d10o10k3 30

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:45 am 

"I did not come to the Crane asking to help save their Champion," Izumi reminds them, her tone bitter.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 am 

"Minna-sama," the Dragon interjected, as the 'neutral' party present. "Lives are at stake. Whatever grievances we may carry must wait for now."

Well. She didn't disagree as such with Tetsuko, but for Tsukimi this was not the time or place.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:46 am 

Monkhbaatar didn't head off to fight the undead. Rather, he was able to shoot at them from afar and could close and retreat much faster than the others. So he simply remained at the ready.

He had Meushi at a walk as he started circling Izumi and the other horses, keeping an eye out.

Equipment: Daisho, armor, dai-kyu, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 pm 

While he had not been of help in the battle, he was able to heal some of the wounded afterwards. And from there, continue on to follow, in case a priest was needed.

And he found that a priest was definitely needed here! However, he only really had one way of dealing with the undead - he summoned up large boulders, which were the swirling green color of jade, and threw them at the creatures. Not because he was disgusted by them, but because it needed to be done.

He only had a few favors with the Earth kami, without exerting himself, but it was enough to put several of the monsters down.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:40 pm 

In contrast to her more measured kin, Yuko had given herself over to the battle. She moved through the zombie hordes with the grace born out of Togashi training, a rhythm instilled by the Asahina, and a thirst fueled by the blade in her hands.

When she stopped a second later, she was surrounded by decapitated bodies. She made no move to flick the blade clean. It wanted to be slaked in the ichor. She could appease it, in this - at least until the job was done.

Carries: Kakita blade (Ketsuyoku), wakizashi, tanto, aiguchi, shards of a biwa, kimono

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:22 pm 

The giant's axe looped easily, the momentum of the swings ebbing and flowing until the souls of these fallen Lion were put to rest.

At the end of the ordeal, he nodded to the combatants and bowed to Izumi.

"This task is finished, Kitsu-ue." He took out a rag and began to wipe the gore from the edge of his axe. "How can we be of assistance to you?"

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:10 am 

Izumi closes her eyes and speaks with the kami, her voice quiet. "That way," she replies, pointing to the north. "They fell back into Phoenix lands."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:13 am 

"Then that's where we're headed," she said with a firm nod. There was hope in that they had fallen back, rather than pressing towards the army.

She just hoped that these undeads weren't a sign of a darker fate that had befallen Doji Etsuo and his compatriots.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 am 

Touki took a moment to bow to the Kitsu Daimyo before turning to Masahiko. He gave his fellow warrior a nod, moving to take the front side by side.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)