It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:59 pm

Post subject: [D11 - EM] Great, a siege... (Open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 am 

'' For fuck sake...'' Yuichi barely managed to arrive safely to the city on the previous night, evading the forces of the Steel Chrysanthemum just as the city gates were closed in order to endure a siege.

This had to be the worst assignment the Oni masked Yogo had to fulfill in a very long time. Although the possibility of death was, indeed, an improvement, compared to the horror of the miai with the false gaijin that called themselves Unicorn. One of such gaijin was even his wife now...

Inside the city, first things first, Yuichi needed to pray to the kami. The big shrines outside of it were of course out of reach, so he moves through the streets of Ninesake until he discovered the Street of Scrolls and some of the lesser shrines inside of it.

He discovered a small shrine dedicated to the Seven and decided to make pray in there and perhaps even prepare himself for a siege.

What a day...

Carries: Wakizashi, Robes, Scroll Satchel, Paper Wards (17), Fan, Kawaru coins, Pearl, Incense, Jade fingers (1), Magical Wards (3)

Post subject: Re: [D11 - EM] Great, a siege... (Open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm 

Things had changed since the siege and Wasako would be foolish to think that anyone could wake up and perform their morning routines. Instead of going to the temple to meditate, she found herself patrolling the streets. The rain had finally stopped and that was perhaps a good sign as she thought she would wake up submerged underwater. However, the sun was still reason enough to sport her straw hat. Some of the locals were wise enough to board up before the siege but others were less lucky, some stores were gutted of their wares by either the invaders or the desperate.

She raised her brows when she saw the Yogo (?) on the street making a move toward one of the shrines. It was hard to tell with the oni mask and the frightful things that lurked around them. However, she was curious enough to follow him into the shrine to ensure this man was more human than beast.

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 pm 

The Oni masked Yogo first took a bit of meditating incense that he always carries with him, light it up and bowed in front of the Shrine.

Then, ignoring the wet surroundings and the mud, he sat in seiza right in front on it and bowed this time much more respectfully, showing deep devotion to the Kami.

He stood in that position for a while and then he opened his scroll satchel and took out one fine piece of paper. He made sure that the paper was not going to be damaged by the water.

Then he appeared to took a small peeble into his hands and suddenly the Yogo's eyes through his mask began to shine like if they were a pair of small suns. The small ponds around the priest started to float around him, and then they began to syphon into the piece of paper that was on the ground, coalescing into it.

When everything was done, the eyes of the Yogo returned to normal and he picked up the piece of paper, raising it as if he was checking it. It now was glowing and in it center there was a blue kanji for the word 'Good Fortune'...

[OOC - Rolls]

Casting Reversal of Fortune as a ward; 1 raise for duration; +1k0 Spellcraft; +1k0 Wards; +1k1 Void; 24|Pass [TN22; 1 VP; 2 CR; Pearl of Purity]

+1 Ward with Reversal of Fortunes
1/2 Void points left

Carries: Wakizashi, Robes, Scroll Satchel, Paper Wards (17), Fan, Kawaru coins, Pearl, Incense, Jade fingers (1), Magical Wards (3)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:01 pm 

Despite his choice of mask, Wasako was relieved that this samurai wasn't an actual oni. She did linger close by, perhaps not wanting to interrupt the rather elaborate ritual he had been performing. Even though she didn't know the full details of the ritual but it was likely any sort of blessing or consecration would be worth its weight in gold in the coming days.

Once he was done, she would try to catch his attention with a bow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:09 pm 

Yuichi noticed the dragoness bowing to him, although he somewhat ignored at first, still checking the paper ward he had on his hands.

'' If you are looking for praying in this shrine and my presence bothers you i can go and find somewhere else, Dragon-sama...'' The oni masked Yogo said to the Dragon woman. His voice tone was the one of a ningen. Indeed, he was not an oni.

'' I hope that Inari-no-kami has blessed you today.'' He said still in seiza. '' I'm Yogo Yuichi.''

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:42 pm 

She narrowed her eyes on the Yogo and crossed her arms. "...My apologies if you think I come across as not receptive, Yogo-san. Your presence hardly bothers me, I suppose I was just interested in what you were doing. It's been a long last few days and I've met many of your kin already. It seems fair if I were to meet you. This one is Mirumoto Wasako, of the Northern Wall Mountains. And thank you, I haven't yet but will remind myself to. I hope this day has treated you well so far?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:53 pm 

'' Well you are very kind, or maybe not very wise.'' Yuichi said as he rose up from seiza to bow to the Dragoness respectfully. '' It is common sense that the presence of a Yogo should bother and that you should avoid us, Mirumoto Wasako-sama, less you get cursed or catch whatever crap people say about us'' He shrugged.

'' As well as death could treat oneself...'' Yuichi said with a rather sarcastic tone. '' Had to smuggle myself into this city, some of my companions died, and for some reason i got inside the city while everyone was trying to get out of it. Beyond that, i guess, i'm fine?'' He said as he shrugged.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 pm 

Wasako frowned briefly as she placed her hands on her hips. "Is that what the Yogo are known for? I can't say I was aware of that but now I wonder what that says about your kinswoman, Yogo Aya. I only assume that's not her intent, even as she finds herself in the company of many people. She is well-appreciated at the very least."

She could only frown once more regarding the talk of death. This seemed like a reoccurring theme in the Yogo but she only knew two and could not make a solid assumption. "...my apologies about your companions, Yogo-san but we are glad to have you with us now."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:09 pm 

'' A bad sign coming from a Yogo, if you ask me.'' He laughed a bit. '' Well appreciated until the curse is discharged upon someone. But no matter, i'm not trying to start an argument with you Mirumoto-sama.'' He adds.

Then Yuichi is seems to be somewhat confused. '' Why are you apologizing about them, Mirumoto-sama? You didn't kill them.''

'' We will all die at some point of this endless journey. Their deaths just moved them a bit forward, or backwards, in their eternal path through the Kharmic Wheel.'' He adds in a bit of more priestly tone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 am 

She raised her brows at the Yogo and gave a shake of her head. "...I mean, there's been a lot of deaths as of late and I wish that they were preventable, as naive as it might be. Every death here is unfortunate and shouldn't be taken so lightly. However, what you say is also true, Yogo-san. We all die eventually and find ourselves on the Kharmic Wheels once more. Death is not an end but perhaps a milestone. Hopefully, we learn something in all of actions and the lessons that we learn in life, apply them to the next place we find ourselves in the Celestial Order."

With that, she held up a hand with her fingers pointed upward and offered a quick prayer to the fallen as a gesture of respect and reverence for their sacrifice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:33 am 

Yuichi offers a nod to the Mirumoto's words. Preventable in the face of conflict he don't think so, but death is death, and samurai walk right next to it each day.

Seeing that the Mirumoto offered a silent prayer Yuichi started once again doing the same. Although once again he also contacted the kami.

He adopted meditative seiza and took out another of his strange sheets of paper. His hands in prayer mode, while a small pearl lies between his fingers. Suddenly his eyes and the pearl started to shine once again and from around him fire appeared out of nowhere...

The bright flames dance around him, covering his whole body like a shroud. Then suddenly they started to coalesce into one single point close to the Yogo's hands.

He moved his hands slowly and touched the sheet of paper, transfering the concentrated fire into the sheet, which didn't burn. Instead the spiritual fire draw the kanji symbol for 'Purity' on it in a bright orange-red-yellow tone.

Once this was done, Yuichi released his breath and inspected the magical paper sheet.

'' So, what brings you here, Mirumoto-sama?'' He asked while inspecting the paper ward. '' If i might ask.''

[OOC - Rolls]

Casting Fires of Purity as a ward Fire/School; +1k0 Ward; +1k1 Void, +1k0 Spellcraft 28 |Pass [TN17; 1 VP]

+1 Magical Ward with Fires of Purity
0/2 Void Points left

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 am 

It was rather curious watching Yuichi perform his ritual once more after the prayer, especially with how blatantly he was manipulating the elements around him. She supposed that this might have looked normal to Togashi monks and shugenja but this was still unusual enough that it had Wasako's attention. A part of her had to assume that he was only doing good on the temple grounds. Surely, if wanted to do her harm, he might have done so already when she witnessed the first ritual. She did give him his due space and watched him finish quietly.

She neared him again once he spoke. "I had initially come to visit the city of Toshi no Omoidoso, since my sensei had sent me to observe the Lion. However, I didn't expect walking into a war and now I find myself here. At the very least, it's been quite a learning experience and one that presents several lessons in war."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 am 

'' We don't expect things happening in our lives, but they pass. That is how the elements shape us into the journey of our souls.'' He commented as he again put away this second paper ward into his scroll satchel. The Yogo then rose up.

'' I guess you could learn a lot about war if you observe the Lion '' He shrugs. '' Not much about anything else, if i'm being honest here. The Lion are always so predictable, except in the area of war.'' He says to her with some disdain in his tone directed towards the Lion. '' This whole mess was caused by them, or at least, they were the ones that made it possible in the first place and now the whole empire is divided because of them.''

'' But only the Fortunes know why the Heavens act as they do, so, here we are, enduring as best we can.'' He shrugs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:11 am 

"If the Lion are supposed to be predictable, I haven't seen much evidence of that. That's probably just me coming in with fresh eyes. Perhaps in time, I'll notice some patterns or ultimately, they'll slip past my notice. However, what you have said is something to keep in mind at least."

She gave a shake of her head. "War itself can't be that predictable, especially what they change in regards to the surrounding area and the people. I can't imagine there can be something predictable found in the ripples that it causes. We are likely seeing difference consequences and endure our own personal battles."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 am 

'' You misinterpreted me, Mirumoto-sama. War coming from the Lion is very predictable. The people of my clan understand it. If you want to anger of a Lion push his tail'' Yuichi commented, trying to say the riddle that has passed through Scorpion generations, although perhaps not with the same exact words.

'' Excuse me...'' The Yogo said as he once again took out the Pearl that he had been holding before and another of his sheets of paper. This time he adopted a much more 'sturdy' pose, clearly lowering his point of balance. Both hands were extended forward with his palms looking to the sky while his elbows were on a roughly forty five angle.

He flexed his left leg and advanced one step and once his heel touched the floor it created some vibrations that could be felt in his nearby, his eyes and the pearl began to shine once again. The light passing through his Oni mask.

The vibration he caused, made some dust to be suspended in the air around him. The dust seemed to start to move towards him, surrounding him. He presented the paper sheet with his right arm and the dust stopped moving towards him and instead moved into the paper...

Once again the magical effect drew a kanji on the paper, this time it was for the word 'Armor'. And like before, his eyes stopped glowing and he exhaled his breath.

'' Like i was saying, war can be predictable. Though battles are not. The Lion are predictable if you move them towards conflict but once the conflict starts, you are right.'' He commented. '' There's no way to know what will happen on the field.'' He said.

'' Hantei XVI-heika's troops from what i understand are mostly spirits from Lion ancestors. Coming from Toshigoku, the realm of Slaughter will make them predictable for those that know how to command on the field.'' He said. '' Those spirits only wish one thing, to kill and to destroy. There's nothing else in their souls.''

[OOC - Rolls]

Casting Armour of Earth as a ward; 1 CR for +1 duration; +1k0 Spellcraft; +1k0 Wards; 8k4 -26|Pass [TN22, 2 CR]

+1 Magical Ward with Armour of Earth (+1 minute)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:41 pm 

"Of course..." she murmured before the Scorpion excused himself once more. She side-stepped out of the way so that he could perform his next ritual. When the dust appeared, she took a few more steps back but they were ultimately destined for him. Whatever this Yogo was doing, she could imagine that Yogo Aya was doing the same in her spare time when she wasn't being blunt.

She stepped closer once more when he was done. "And this has been an unconventional conflict with a lot of surprises, I was told. Even the veterans from the Shinomen Forest find this to be a conflict they find little in common with. And hai, that seems to be the intent of the spirits. What sort of Empire could an Emperor from that realm hope to create even? It might be a dynasty of eternal war."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:34 pm 

'' Well, not much different from what regular dynasty has been over the centuries if you asked me'' Yuichi says as he puts away his new ward into his scroll satchel.

'' War has been common since the first day Hantei-no-kami and his siblings fell from the skies. War has never stopped. It just recedes from time to time. If you ask a Crab, they will look confused if you said to them that peace has been what the empire has endured.'' Yuichi adds.

'' But we are not supposed to talk about it, neh?''

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:25 pm 

Wasako frowned but has to concede to the Yogo, considering that she was rather removed from the world and the Southerner would know best about wars. Their lands were rather malleable as a result.

She crossed her arms at the Yogo, "If it's so not unusual, may ask for your opinions then, Yogo-san? Would you consider this conflict as business as usual, then? What are your opinions about the factions here, both warring and political?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:55 pm 

'' Ha, You wish to know the opinion of a Yogo? '' Yuichi laughed. '' Well, indeed you are different from the others. Most people would not give one crap about what me or my family thinks. '' The Yogo nods.

'' The answer is simple. There's only one enemy that must be defeated, and that enemy lies to the very south on the borders of this Empire. Everything else is just a distraction from what we should be doing.'' Yuichi said.

'' Dynasties, bastard sons, a brother eager to take power, a returned soul, nothing of that matters as long as the southern enemy still lies there. People hates us not because we are some weird brutes, they hate us because we are the talking and walking reminder that there's something evil lurking and bidding his time, Mirumoto-sama.'' Yuichi chuckles.

'' Certainly something is happening in Ningen-do, we Shugenja can feel it, a distorsion of the natural order is happening, but we still don't know why is happening or for what reason. The return of the, so called, Unicorn is just one sign that something big will happen in the near future, and i don't think we are even ready for it.''

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:17 am 

Wasako did ask for it but that didn't mean that she couldn't regret it later. After her encounters with Yogo Aya, she did expect that it was going to be something with spiteful cynicism involved but that wasn't the case.

She nodded slowly afterwards, narrowing her eyes before she realized what he was talking about exactly. "Oh...You're speaking about the Wall? I mean, south of the Wall, as they say? I suppose we've been aware of them for a while...but has anything appeared lately? Have you met any of the Crab here, by chance?"