It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: [D1LE] Haunting Melody
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:55 pm 

(eggspecting but others welcome)

Touki sat in the garden, a quiet spot in the shelter of a tree, dimly lit by lamplight. It was perhaps a bit chilly, his simple court kimono providing only limited protection against the bite of the winter's wind. This was something he'd done many times since being stationed here; far from every night, but whenever the mood took him. As it took him now. Those who had been staying at the castle were doubtless familiar with it. Those who had just arrived would doubtless become so.

Lifting his flute to his lips, Touki began to play. He was no true master, but he is neverthelessfairly good. The notes were clear, soft, pure in their simplicity. And somehow sad, or perhaps that was just the tune he had selected.

He played on, the wind carrying the haunting melody further.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

Post subject: Re: [D1LE] Haunting Melody
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:57 pm 

Soft footsteps followed the melody as a Scorpion entered the garden. "Oh.." she glanced at him, squinting in the darkness of the evening. "Lion-san. You melody is a beauty."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:01 pm 

The melody halted.

Touki's dark eyes peered curiously at the Scorpion, narrowing for just a moment. Then he rose, giving a polite bow.

"Thank you, Shosuro-sama. I am pleased that you think so." Touki's voice is deep, a low bass, perhaps even deeper than his larger than average size might suggest. And very monotone. "This one is Akodo Touki." He looked at her, waiting, his flute down at his side.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 pm 

The Scorpion eyed him up and down, slowly, before giving an appropriate bow.

"Greetings Akodo-san, I am Shosuro Sara, actress of Taishou Hikari." She smiled coyly, then moved closer, though still appropriate. "May I?" she extended a hand towards the flute.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 pm 

Touki eyed her up and down too, although the only response, either to her smile or her step, was a slight twitch of his brows.

He hesitated a moment, turning his flute in his hand. Then he nodded. "You may." He held it out, carefully, with both hands.

He waited to speak again until she took it. "Do you play the flute, miss?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:17 pm 

She gracefully raised the flute to her lips, but before playing, she nodded. "The flute and many more. The burden of the actress is that she must be proficient in everything to be able to do her duty."

She started a low, slow melody, and stopped after a few notes. "It is a remarkable instrument Akodo-san."She handed it back. "My apologies I was just curious. And it felt good to have some culture after...everything."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:20 pm 

"An actress, huh?" Touki gave her a respectful nod as she handed the flute back to him; she was pretty good, after all.

"Thank you." He said politely. "It is a family heirloom, of sorts. My father gifted to me on my gempukku, although I'd been playing since before then." Touki spoke with the same monotone all through.

His dark eyes regarded her curiously, noting that pause. "May I ask if you have a favorite instrument, miss?" Touki asked, his tone softening just a little. "Or, since you're an actor, perhaps I should say 'form of performance'?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 pm 

Sara started slowly walking in the garden, taking in the site.

"Oh? It is a lovely piece Akodo-san. May you respect your father's wishes with many wonderful performances."

She took one step forward, a small, dainty step. "Oh? Depends on how I feel. The flute? It is an instrument for when words are unneeded, and even intrusive. The samisen in skilled fingers is a wonder to behold, and nothing gets your blood rolling like a drum."

She shrugged. "For my performances...why, the ones I am in the spotlight." She smiled coyly to him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:57 pm 

"I see." Touki said, nodding. "An instrument to match each occasion." He looked down at the flute, still held gently in his hand. "And you're right about the flute of course. Miss." He cleared his throat gently, his eyes strange.

The moment passed.

The remark actually got a smile from Touki; barely there, but his lips definitely curled up, and his dark eyes glinted. "A good answer, Shosuro-sama." He shifted slightly, his posture relaxing. "Perhaps you could tell me about one of them. Your favorite performance?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm 

Sara mused, and her steps moved on. "My favorite? The one I was set to play before the Emperor..." Her tone turned dark, but she turned around slowly towards her companion. "It is a play about...quite many things. Love, tragedy, duty. The usual themes really, but execution was..." Some joy glinted in her eye. "It would have been magnificent. We had Soshi Jo to craft illusions for extra effects!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 pm 

"Oh." Touki grimaced. Blast, he'd meant to turn her towards happier things. Not might-have-beens.

Still, he watched, his expression neutral but his eyes interested, observing her strangely kinetic mode of conversation. By contrast, Touki stood pretty much entirely still, head sometimes moving to track as she stepped here and there.

"I'm sure it would have been fantastic." He said, again gently. "If only you'd have been here this last season. I think I would have enjoyed seeing something like that. Or... even something not quite as grand. Illusions for effects..." Touki's brow furrowed as he considered the possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

There was a girlish giggle from the dark silhouette that was Sara-chan.

"Well, who knows. It seems court has been extended this time. We might even have time for a play." She swirled around and moved forward, seemingly uncaring f Touki followed.

"Are you from around here Akodo-san?2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 pm 

Somewhat bemused, Touki continued to follow Sara with his eyes, if not anything else. Slowly, he crossed his arms over his broad chest, a relaxed pose. "You almost seem to be practicing a dance, miss." He said, a hint of amusement in his deep voice. "I imagine that's another of your skills. And quite right; I'm sure there will be time for you to have the spotlight." Another one of his tiny smiles.

Slowly, he shook his head. "No." He said shortly. After a few moments, he relented. "This is my first time to the coast. The ocean was... quite an experience, the first time I saw it." His gaze went distant for a moment, before refocusing on the constantly moving actress.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:01 pm 

Akodo Touki wrote:
Somewhat bemused, Touki continued to follow Sara with his eyes, if not anything else. Slowly, he crossed his arms over his broad chest, a relaxed pose. "You almost seem to be practicing a dance, miss." He said, a hint of amusement in his deep voice. "I imagine that's another of your skills. And quite right; I'm sure there will be time for you to have the spotlight." Another one of his tiny smiles.

Slowly, he shook his head. "No." He said shortly. After a few moments, he relented. "This is my first time to the coast. The ocean was... quite an experience, the first time I saw it." His gaze went distant for a moment, before refocusing on the constantly moving actress.

"Oh, never been to the coast before? My first time too, although I am from Ryoko Owari." She smiled fondly back at her home, recalling it from before the fire.

"What can I say, I am a samurai-ko of several skills. I do not like limiting myself." She raised her fan in front of her face. "Besides the flute, what else does Akodo Touki occupy himself when not on duty?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 pm 

Touki acknowledged the first with a polite nod.

"Me?" Touki's eyebrows went up; he looked almost surprised. "Well..." He frowned, considering. "I spend a lot of time in training. Bettering my skills as a bushi in service to the Lion. And I regularly visit the temple." He spread his hands. "Little of consequence besides that. Study. Reading. Considering the nature of existence. That sort of thing." That last was said dryly enough that it was probably a joke."

He inclined his head. "And what does Shosuro Sara do when the spotlight is not on her?" Another touch of a smile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 pm 

"Oh, wallow in self-pity, run through the snow away from the armies of monsters. You know." she suddenly reversed curses and moved closer to him. She smelled of perfume...and sulfur and dirt.

"Training, bettering yourself...such a paragon of Lion duty Akodo-san." she twirled around him, dancing around the man. "What do you think of our existence then?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:26 pm 

Touki's eyes widened, just a little, as Sara came suddenly closer, although he did not move away. It seemed he used his own scent, some masculine variety, spice and cedar. He cleared his throat. "Perhaps I should have asked what you choose to do." Gentle amusement touched his monotone. Dark humor was still humor, after all.

"That's me." He said blandly. "I... uh..." He frowned, pausing as she circled him. "Should I be doing something, miss? Accompanying you with my flute, maybe?" Finally, he turned as she did, rotating in a circle.

This time, he definitely smiled. "Do you mean what thoughts do I have, or what my opinion of it is? For the first, quite a few, for the second..." Touki shrugged, almost grimacing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:29 pm 

"See Akodo-san, words are important?" She stopped twirling and stood opposite of him. "I create my own spotlight. My duty is on the stage, and if there is no stage, then I am a failure, am I not?"

She smirked and snapped open her fan, hiding her mouth. "No need. I'll let you know if I'd like your music. As for your own thoughts... I desire to know everything Akodo-san. You seem to hide a profound deepness behind your facade of a simple Lion bushi."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 pm 

Touki's eyes narrowed thoughtfully, watching Sara with growing curiousity. "I... see. Or I think I do. 'All the world's a stage', right miss?" He inclined his head to her as he quoted Furuyari. Was she always acting, then?"I wonder if the same applies to warriors like me. Failures when we are not on the battlefield.

Another smile as Sara's fan snapped open, obscuring her expression. "Do I?" He asked. Touki took a small step closer; the conversation seemed to demand it. "I suppose a Scorpion would know a mask when she saw it. And an actor would know someone playing a part." His eyes narrowed again. "May I ask what part you are playing now, Shosuro-sama? Or if I ask, would you tell me?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 pm 

Sara tilted her head. "Isn't Akodo or Sun Tzu said all of life is a battle field? Or someone. Apologies, I am not up to date on my military reading."

She lowered her fan. "We are always wearing a face, no?" She mimicked a grim face, referring to On. "Today? Or rather tonight, I am pretending to be someone who is not scared about what will happen now, with one Emperor who should be living dead, one who should be dead alive, a child without a father. And by father, I mean the Empire."