It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: [D11, EM] Flying the Nest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm 

A few moments after first light, Kakita Masahiko emerged from a side door from the palace, stopped a moment to chat with the guards, and began to move off down the street in the direction of the Crane embassy.

Owns: Kyuzo

Post subject: Re: [D11, EM] Flying the Nest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:04 pm 

As it happened, Akodo Touki was just walking down that street. His stride was long... although not so long as that of the Crane. Indeed, the fellow was large enough that he might have been two Crane, or perhaps the individual largest parts of several large Crane combined together. Grimacing, Touki stopped that line of thought.

Touki cleared his throat. "Good morning, Kakita-sama." His voice was a deep monotone. "This one is Akodo Touki. May I assist you?"

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:18 pm 

Masahiko smiled pleasantly and returned the bow.

"Kakita Masahiko. And I don't think so, Akodo-sama. I was just returning to the Embassy to take up my shift."

His own voice was a pleasant tenor. "Unless you'd care to join me for breakfast?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 pm 

Touki considered this a moment.

"In fact, I have not head breakfast yet. And I have no imminent tasks. If it would not interrupt your shift, I would be pleased to join you for breakfast, Kakita-sama." All delivered with the same flat monotone; still, his fairly bleak expression seemed to become marginally less so, even if he didn't quite smile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:47 pm 

"Doji-sama's requirements for my services are much less than those Kakita Airi had for me. I don't think it will be too much of an issue."

His smile brightened as he began to figure he wasn't about to be accosted by one f the new guys for his old arrangements.

"So...there's a nice noodle shop just down the street, here. I think you'll like it."

He gestured toward the destination, a fairly well-to-do establishment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:53 pm 

"As you will." Touki said, without enthusiasm, but agreeably enough. Still... as the large Crane smiled, Touki's lips quirked just a little bit, almost to a smile himself. "I... do like noodles." Progress!

Touki matched his pace to Masahiko's as best he could. "It sounds as though you've recently had a change in your duties, Kakita-sama." Touki said, semi-encouragingly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:52 am 

"To a point, Akodo-sama. I was once a guard, and then an advisor. Now...I suppose I am a diplomat. One bows to the expressed wishes of one's superior."

Arriving at the storefront, he slid open the front door to allow Touki to enter first.

"I am so pleased that you like noodles, Akodo-sama. This will be a treat."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:35 am 

That actually won a half-smile from Touki. "Yes. Such is the way of samurai life. Death is as light as a feather, duty as heavy as a mountain." He intoned, his expression thoughtful. "Although I have often found solace in duty."

A respectful bow as the larger samurai held the door for him. "Thank you, Kakita-sama." He stepped inside, waiting a touch stiffly for Masahiko, Having been invited to breakfast, it seemed Touki was the guest. Therefore, he would give Masahiko the lead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:19 am 

The massive Crane swanned through the doorway after the Akodo and was soon swarmed by the peasant proprietor, although there was a notable pause when the middle-aged lady caught sight of his guest and then raised her eyebrow at the Kakita. This produced a slightly embarrassed smile and a half-shrug, which seemed to assuage the woman's concerns, as they were led to a table further in the interior and orders were placed in short order.

"This has become a haunt of mine. The hiyashi somen is excellent." His warm smile seemed to glow in the cool shadows of the interior at this early hour. "But you were saying something about finding solace in duty. I wonder, what sort of duty do you carry that it weighs so much less than the saying suggests?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:13 pm 

"I shall follow your recommendation, then." Touki said, inclining his head. And he did so, as the orders were placed.

Touki turned back to his breakfast partner. The Lion sat very straight, and very formal; most likely long practice from many hours spent on-duty. He frowned thoughtfully. "Whatever duty I am assigned to. This past season, it was as a guard in Toshi no Omoidoso. Now, it is in defense of Nikesake and it's people against the forces of the..." Touki cleared his throat. "Against the Emperor's murderer."

He paused a moment. "I suppose that wasn't exactly what you asked, though. A superior of mine said an occupied mind is a healthy mind. I have found this to be the case." Another brief pause. "He was also a friend."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:34 pm 

This guy has had some troubles, Masahiko thought to himself.

"That's true enough, Akodo-sama." The Kakita's smile remained warm, open. "And the product is clear to see. The city remains free and well-defended, after all."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pm 

Touki sometimes felt that he might be better understood if he introduced himself by shouting "My wife is deeaaadddd!!!" He couldn't, of course, nor did he want to. Not really.

Touki grunted. "Free enough. Under siege." He straightened, give Masahiko a nod. "But I assure you, we shall guard the walls with every ounce of our strength."

His expression softened slightly. "I fought beside one of your fellows yesterday. Daidoji Tetsuko-sama. She did your clan honor with her prowess."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:30 pm 

"Hai, Daidoji-sama is a powerful warrior. And an inspirational person. A true samurai, in the serving sense of the term." He paused. "Think how much healthier our minds would be if they were occupied with duties as weighty as hers."

Masahiko's powerful hands folded on the table. "Although, I must say that I much prefer the simpler tasks I was given years ago to the rigors of diplomacy. I cannot help but feel unsuited."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:46 pm 

That brought a smile to Touki's lips. "Would that we were all so fortunate." He chuckled dryly. "I have spoken with her before. She is much inspired by her grandfather, something that a Lion certainly understands." He frowned then, though, his gaze drifting out in the direction of the city gates, beyond which were a number of Lion ancestors.

Touki cleared his throat. "I'll admit, Kakita-sama, I had you figured for a warrior." He was large, after all. "May I ask what has brought you to diplomacy? I understand that one must do the duties one is assigned, of course." Touki gave a slight shrug. "But I would gladly fight beside anyone defending the city."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:52 pm 

"Oh, a warrior I am and will always be." He gestured to his frame. "I mean, look at me. Even my clan could not help but see where I was best suited. But times are as they are, and new orders have come down."

He met Touki's eyes. "You see, my superiors are convinced that you all mean to come after us, just as soon as the succession business is cleared up."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:21 pm 

Another dry chuckle. "Quite. Well, it is good to have duties to which one is well-suited."

Touki blinked, then grimaced, looking away. "I cannot speak as to the minds of my superiors, of course. Nor do I have much sway with them." He looked back to Masahiko. "On a personal level, I would find it..." His lips pressed together a moment as he considered the right word, "-distasteful to fight those I had so recently fought beside. I would, of course. But that duty would be heavier."

Another grimace. "I will admit, Kakita-sama, I have found the turmoil of the last five years to be unsettling."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:27 pm 

"Quite." The huge man let the word rumble for a moment. "I suppose that many among the samurai of our rank will feel similarly, but one who has stood in the fields cannot help but see the slaughter spirits as an object lesson in the problems of our times."

He sighed.

"Not that our way of thinking counts for much, now that Doji-ue is missing."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:43 pm 

Slowly, Touki nodded. "I have had much the same thought." He said, eyes narrowing thoughtfully. "Such turmoil, and now the Emperor slain by an ancestor out of time, while our own ancestors wage war against us." He shook his head, grimacing again. "I cannot claim to understand it, but the implications trouble me anyway."

He nodded, his brow creasing. "I heard that. Still no news, I take it? No sightings, good or bad?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 pm 

Masahiko shook his head. "No. This ronin, Mari, sent out an animal messenger to try to locate him, but it doesn't seem likely to bear results. And it is unfortunate, because he has been instrumental in forestalling war between our clans in the past. Indeed, before the mess of a few days ago, I was under the impression we were heading toward a longer peace than previously anticipated."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:45 pm 

Touki grimaced, nodded. "Unfortunate indeed." He was silent a few moments, considering. "I suppose we shall have to see how things resolve."

He smiled wryly. "Perhaps we can handle one crisis at a time. If fate will allow us the luxury, that is. There was, as you said, the mess several days ago. Perhaps the future will bring us back towards peace." He didn't sound optimistic.