It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:20 pm

Post subject: Re: [Day Two - Early Afternoon] Refuge of the Mind
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:17 pm 

Wasako found herself quickly placing her hand on her lips to subdue a giggle when Mai mentioned lover. She supposed that possibility crossed her mind but she didn't want to be so crass to mention it outright. Eventually, she gave a few accepting nods and looked down. "Right, I could only imagine that he told you what you needed to know. Just like your other volunteers too. Of course, as Yogo-san says, it just might be he was a hunter...or serves his Clan in such a role."

As for Lions being known as hunters, that was a reputation she never knew of.

"When it comes to practicing your art, did you have to look for a or consider a...sponsor?" She said the last word like it was a strange concept to her.

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pm 

"A sponsor?" she asked, uncertain as to the meaning. "Do you mean to ask if there are lords or Samurai who would offer advantages to my self for receiving tattoos from me? Oft I may only need ask of the support of lodging in some cases. Something many have been all too willing to afford me when they have seen my work."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:32 pm 

Aya had found the Mirumoto's question an odd one too....but Dragons were odd, this was known.

Still she was in no rush to press the woman to clarify, while she took stock of the Togashi's arsenal of tools.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:46 pm 

"Hai," she nodded at first then thought twice on it. "I think so, at least. I was told about such a thing when it came to artistry but I confess I knew little of how the process worked. Lodgings would fall into that category. Perhaps there is such a person here? Our talk with Ikoma-san and your past venture would indicate that there could be some potentially interested parties."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 am 

"Perhaps," she inclined her head, "but I am not in a dire need for lodging. I have made due with what has been afforded me thus far and I will continue to manage. Of this I am comfortably certain."

"What is most important, for now, is that I find those willing to allow me to truly practice my art. May, as I bring up that thought I should return for a time to my work I was about to begin here. That I might have something to show just one such prospective individual."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:51 am 

"Oh, of course," she said with an understanding nod and gave Mai a bow, seeing as they had interrupted her earlier from what she was doing.

She retreated a few steps and joined where Aya was standing. "My apologies for the topic dive on the art of tattooing. I guess I just wanted to merely check on Togashi-san's continued venture."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:08 am 

Aya smiles a bit.

"Ah, it is no matter, Wasako-san. It's been an interesting glimpse into the Dragon clan. Yesterday, I met Togashi Iko, which was my first glimpse of the Dragon." she revealed.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:18 am 

Wasako raised her brows momentarily at Aya's words before nodding soundly. "I suppose there are more than a few of us in attendance this season, which is peculiar I am told," she said finding the sentiment of being regarded as a novelty a bit strange.

Last edited by Mirumoto Wasako on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 am 

With the visit completed, for the time, Mai took to her focus immediately. It would not do to suggest such a thing and then not devote all of her focus on the art itself. Bringing the inks before herself. Pulling up the tebori tool, she dipped the end in one of the small ink pots. With the color now coating the end of the needles she shifted it in her hand so that she could shift her body into position.

Bringing her arm down in from of herself she propped it in the cross of her legs, sitting cross legged as she was. Holding the needle in a turned around manner she checked and double checked its position before she made the first thrust into the skin.

With her hair pushed out of the way she remained utterly still as she continued the process. It would take her some time to make a considerable amount of progress but she would eventually make progress. Tattooing oneself was no simple task, but it was one she was greatly capable of.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:36 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
Wasako raised her brows momentarily at Aya's words before nodding soundly. "I suppose there are more than a few of us in attendance this season, which is peculiar I am told," she said finding the sentiment of being regarded as a novelty a bit strange.

Aya shrugged.

"I'm not a creature of the courts, so until recently mostly I knew those who wear red and black." she admitted.

Which was a bit of an odd thing to admit given that they were in Lion lands.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 pm 

"I found court to be a strange experience, perhaps not so much that there was anything truly strange about it. There were a lot of variables in the air that perhaps made me realized that despite speaking the same language, people weren't actually speaking the same language? I hadn't gone so far into it but there were some emotions running, I think? The recent current events have sparked some outrage."

She gave a shake of her head, "I take it that you've only recently been to the Lion lands as well?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
"I found court to be a strange experience, perhaps not so much that there was anything truly strange about it. There were a lot of variables in the air that perhaps made me realized that despite speaking the same language, people weren't actually speaking the same language? I hadn't gone so far into it but there were some emotions running, I think? The recent current events have sparked some outrage."

She gave a shake of her head, "I take it that you've only recently been to the Lion lands as well?"

Aya nodded.

"Hai, it's a pretty recent experience. As for the language of the courts, I've always found that when there's a clear and present danger, when action needs to be taken....there's always some petty limp-wristed buruecrat willing to leap in and say, 'But maybe we should wait, maybe the monster devouring the peasants has a good reason to do so...." she offered with a roll of her eyes.

Aya could not understand the mindset of some people who would value mere politics over killing monsters.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:11 pm 

Wasako paused momentarily to give a glance around at the sentiment presented by Aya. There was a time when she wasn't too sure about the intention of the returned Emperor, especially when she knew very little about what was going on.

"I suppose many of us have found ourselves here for another reason than intended and people are perhaps looking to adjust in different ways. Perhaps they have no guidance from everything being thrown into chaos and are merely hoping to learn their first lesson before fully knowing which course to follow."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:28 pm 

This was exactly the type of hesitancy that Aya destested.

"If I was a courtier, I could cite Leadership or the Tao to explain why that attitude is wrong. And everyone would say oh how clever I was, and then continue making clever points." she said dismissively.

She took a half step closer to Wasako and lowered her voice a bit. Intense Yogo was intense!

"But I'm not, and have not the inclination to be. All I will say is that when you are walking along a bridge, and the bridge gives way underneath your feet, it was not your intention to fall, and adjusting to your situation leads to only one inevitable conclusion. You can try and scramble for the remainder of the bridge, you can call upon the kami, you can aim for the river, but only action gives you a chance at salvation, never inaction."

She stepped back, and offered a short bow before turning to leave.

"I only have time for the first lesson. Either the ground or the river will teach you the second. See you at the bottom, Wasako-san."

And with that the Yogo made her...

/exit unless stopped!

Theme Song

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 pm 

Wasako did frown slightly as wasn't exactly prepared to be lectured by the Yogo. Despite that, she was receptive to what she said on the matter. It seemed clear that Aya certainly was on the side of expediency and action. "Of course, I do agree that some lessons are final ones, Yogo-san," she said in agreement on the matter. "It is my hope that we avoid that..."

The Dragon made no move to stop her, especially considering that Aya likely already made up her mind already. However, she still bowed politely to bid her farewell properly. "Carry the Fortunes, Yogo-san."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:28 am 

"That happened abruptly, Mirukoto Wasako-sama," Mai said, her focus never faltering from the work. Subtle movements of her arm brought the needles quickly in and out of her skin, leaving the ink behind.

They were fine instruments, the needles, it was a smaller work which required less needles and more focus. This also made the progress both slow and more painful, but it was a price that Mai had paid many times before and was quite accustomed to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:34 am 

"Hai..." she said thoughtfully as kept her eyes on the direction where Aya was last seen.

She gave a shake of her head and settled into a seat on the ground. "Here I'm wondering if I said something wrong. I could only speculate what the others and the courtiers must be doing, though I don't have much of a real idea myself. It is true that we, as in everyone here, aren't exactly doing very much at the moment."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:36 am 

"Many are preparing for what they will needs come to face," she said, her voice holding that distinct quality of one who was focused elsewhere and yet she continued, "there is much that will need doing in the time that is to come. Yet many here were not and are not prepared for it, they may yet needs the time to allow the truth to settle."

With a lack of concentration she hissed, causing more pain than needed, took a breath and then continued. All without altering her position much that she could continue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:21 pm 

She found herself biting her lower lip when she heard the hissing. While it wasn't her getting the tattoo done, it certainly sounded like that hurt than anything else.

"I confess that I'm a bit inexperienced in the matter," she said as she looked off. "In my many years at the dojo and helping my sensei, I haven't really seen war even as a bushi. This might seem a bit naive to say but I've found there is more than just fighting the enemy when I thought that was all it was about."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 pm 

Mai paused in her work for just a moment at the last of what Wasako had said, nothing the thought and then returning to her focus on the tattoo as she replied,

"For many the honor of battle and to rend the foes of their family is all that they wish. Though, I wonder how many would have shared a different path had they put thought into it further. Honored though as their sacrifices are, I wonder," she admitted.

"May, Mirumoto Wasako-sama," she paused, the focus of her work taking her for a few seconds, "that this thought is one that may lead you down your own path?"