It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:23 pm

Post subject: Yam Your Friend [D2, Late Evening]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:48 pm 

Still clad in armor while help around the Lion, the young Miharu takes a break to get some food in her belly alongside other troopers. Receiving a warm bowl in her hands, Horonigai nods in thanks.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

Post subject: Re: Yam Your Friend [D2, Late Evening]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:05 pm 

Chihaya had gotten word of much of the happenings, in part, at least, through the arrival of numerous new lodgers at the inn where she was staying.

She'd, fortunately, been in one of the smaller rooms already, so she didn't feel a need to move - it wasn't like a family could fit in the space regardless.

Now out on the street, dressed in dun brown kimono, black hamaka, and red obi, with her warm brown lacquered breastplate and sabatons added, she wandered the city, looking at the new crowds, wondering if any of them might be snakes in the grass.

Her musings were interrupted by coming across a Seppun with bowl in hand, and she smiled and bowed in greeting. "Good evening, Seppun-sama. It seems you've been busy."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 pm 

Horonigai slurps some of the food and cleans her lips with the padded fabric from the interior side of her armed forearm before replying to the Suzume. The Seppun rests the bowl and rises to offer a bow. "Konbanwa, Suzume-san~! Yoroshiku onegaihimasu!"

She smiles and gets the bowl again, offering it with both hands. "I have plenty here. Would you like some? Inari-no-kami has been kind today to many inside these walls, ne~!"

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:41 pm 

Chihaya chuckled, and waved off the offer with a smile. "Thank you, but I planned to pick up some dango, and would hate to spoil my appetite. Would you like some?"

The stall was close, after all.

"You've been working hard, and you should keep up your strength."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:49 pm 

Dango! she wonders, excited, as the food on her plate looks paler and tasteless. Horonigai nods positively, and asks. "Eto. Would love to. But... eto... shouldn't we be rationing with all these people around?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:55 pm 

Chihaya chuckled. "Of course, it was to be my dinner - I have grown used to such meals... those which can be eaten while traveling."

Strolling to the cart, she claimed three skewers, each with three round balls impaled upon them.

Offering one to the Imperial, she added, "Have as much, or as little, as you need, and then share along the rest, neh?"

Popping one small ball into her mouth, she chewed contentedly, and swallowed, noting "We have not yet been told the plan for distribution - when that time comes, we will need greater restraint - until then, do not let what is already made go to waste."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 pm 

Horonigai nods the the more experienced bushi and replies, "Hai!"

She tries to resist looking at it, but fails and gets one of the balls popped up into her lips. She grins to Chihaya with a sly expression and chews it with much pleasure. While munching, she mentions. "Un. Share the rest," and offers it to a kid on the streets –– which undoubtedly accepts.

She licks her lips, first and mentions, "Eto. Suzume-san. About yesterday, I appreciate the words. Things are clearer today. Yet, I'm still confused and would be pleased if I could get your perception out of the situation."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:13 pm 

Chihaya ate another dango in pensive quiet, and then dabbed her lips with the inside hem of her kimono sleeve.

It was a working garment, so she wasn't too concerned.

"In what matters in particular? I admit the conversation wandered, and I suspect spent a little too much time on trivial matters."

She had some idea, but wished confirmation, before bringing up the moment of hesitation the Imperial had shown.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:38 pm 

"Ne," She starts, rather more serious, and holds the bowl on her hands a tad firmer, "In the matter of actively voicing out support to a cause and influence others, or... allow things to go by and simply do one's best."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:58 pm 

"Ah."

Chihaya contemplated that with another dango.

After she finished it, she tossed the skewer into a nearby cook fire, and gave a question in reply, "I believe one should do one's best, regardless. As for causes and influencing others... there are many causes in the Empire. I believe we should influence others to remember their duties - to those we protect, to our lords, and to the throne."

A small sigh. "I expect you mean... what to do about the matter of succession. Do you have any idea where the Seppun stand on the matter? Or the Hantei's brothers?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm 

Horonigai is pleased with the precision on the Sparrow's questioning, yet, she frowns even further in worry. "I... know nothing."

The Seppun breathes deeply, "My Family is bound to guarantee succession and atone for failure, I assume. As for the late Emperor's brothers, eto..." her eyes lit up and she trails off after saying, "Kato-dono..."

Horonigai closes her eyes peacefully for a moment, breathing in. With a tiny smile, she shrugs. "He's known to be mysterious and knowledgeable, so, I can only expect he'll do the right thing and guides us into that path. I, for one –– until that happens –– will fight to maintain peace so succession occurs. If this means I need to confront our ancestors with the blade when words fail, so be it. I cannot allow further Hantei blood to be spilt."

She nods, confirming, and adds, "In the other hand, I believe strengthening imbalance while bolstering one Clan's grip to the throne is detrimental to the Empire."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm 

"Indeed, and some would argue that this ancestor is, himself, Hantei, and thus has a claim."

Chihaya's face gave away nothing of her feelings on the matter.

"It is a situation without precedent - and accordingly, it is difficult to fall back on tradition to answer this question. I suspect we may have to choose our own destiny. The greatest flaw, and greatest strength, of this realm is that within it, we humans are free to act. Honor will have to be our guide."

A faint smile. "The Tao says: 'We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.' Now is perhaps the time for the living to take inspiration from those tales and achieve their own greatness."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:35 pm 

"Hai! A Hantei. My own ancestor. I'll fight against his armies if needed be. Yet, I won't bathe my blade or allow others to do so, with his blood."

She nods, reassuring to herself and to Chihaya, "Ne, I hope this makes sense to Suzume-san as it does to me, as complicated as it may seem. Thank you for the passage on the Tao. I hope we all get inspired for greatness during these days."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:47 pm 

"What will you do if he threatens the empress and her child?"

Chihaya's expression was bland.

"If Hantei threatens Hantei... how does honor lead?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:57 pm 

"I will do as I said. I'll defend them, but not draw blood form a Hantei."

Horonigai expresses the thoughts imprinted in her mind, both as a Seppun, and as a Miharu in training since her infancy.

"I once watched my cousins argue with each other, and they drew blades against one another. Otosan was visting me at the dojo and saw it. In a blink, he interloped both, standing in the middle. He told them they would both have to hit him first before they would hit each other."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:40 pm 

"One... hopes that concern for your life would stop his blade."

Her tone expressed some doubt.

"I can still hope for a more... complete... explanation of events from those in a position to know - that way we can respond to events with a better clarity."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:54 pm 

She widens her eyes, and cocks her head back with a rather worried and high pitched, "What's that supposed to mean?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:14 am 

"That if he was willing to spill the blood of a Hantei, I do not think he would hesitate to strike you down as well."

Chihaya sighed, and then added, "I pray we never have to put that to the test."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:02 pm 

"If Heavens want to strike me down," Horonigai looks up to the sky. "They can do so at any moment."

The eventually pious Seppun nods repetitive times in agreement, puts her bowl on the counter, and claps her hands twice in prayer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:09 pm 

"Well, it seems they're content to wait a little longer, at least."

With a dry chuckle, she switched to the second skewer, biting the first dango and then extracting the skewing in a deft motion.

Ah, that was bliss. Sometimes the simplest pleasures were the most profound - you were alive, and the dango was warm.