It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: More Tea Couldn't Hurt [Day 2, Late Afternoon, Expecting
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:58 am 

Degarashi drummed his fingers lightly upon his thighs. "Prior to my time coming to Lion lands, most conversations about my art happened solely during training. It's... unusual for anyone to have anything beyond an academic interest in me."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 am 

She leaned in.

"Who said my interest isn't academic? I'm smarter than I look you know."

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:08 am 

Degarashi smiled at that. "I meant in the more literal sense. Comparing notes about styles, that sort of thing. However, if there is further interest, I'm happy to oblige. I can't seem to get enough of friendly conversations."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:30 am 

"Ah, that kind of academic. I mean, that can be fun and all if it's driven by genuine interest and not someone just trying to get someone to hear their opinion on something. Not that I dislike critics, but they're certainly not very fun. Usually."

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 am 

"Everyone in the Shosuro Butei school is a critic, believe me. But even regular conversations during my training held an undercurrent of professional interest and not personal. Being treated as if you're no more interesting than your profession takes a heavy toll."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:54 am 

"Oh... well, I do have some idea how that feels. Having a family lineage that was famous for its strength of the connection to the elements, having everyone around me talking about my inability to speak to the kami was something I grew up with. Certainly, being defined by something like that is a bit unfair, since it turns you into just one aspect of who you are."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:10 am 

"I'm finding far more fellow samurai aware of those kinds of trials than I expected. For a long time I believed the severity of my experience was a unique one, but it appears I was mistaken." Degarashi watched Yukarin closely. "What was your experience like?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:29 am 

A small shrug, "I'm not sure what there is to say. Like I said, my family tends to have a lot of people with the gift; Certainly both my parents are strong priests, and my siblings trained as shugenja as well. That's kind of made me an outsider at family gatherings, in a way, but it's not like they seem to dislike me or treat me badly or anything. It's more like..." she tapped her chin a moment, "...more like I was often overlooked. Certainly I wasn't given any sort of inheritance of import to them; My great grandfather's no-dachi was passed to me only because Unicorn priests do not weapons typically, overlooking the fact the the Ide Emissaries rarely do as well."

Yukarin put a hand on her knee as the other picked up a rice cracker, "Not that I want to make it sound too rough; I love my family, and my older sister in particular took very good care of me when I was younger. I had a happy life with the Unicorn, even during the rough times. I just know that that is despite not living up to my parents' expectations and the judgments of those who knew my family's history like my sensei."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:56 am 

Degarashi's expression reflected one of mild surprise, having found yet another with a strikingly similar past to his own. He glanced down at his empty cup, rotating it between his fingers. "Never so alone as you think, neh Yukarin-sama?" His voice had a soft edge to it. "My family is known more for their striking looks and dedication to honor, in imitation of the Lion. My brother is practically a Paragon, and possessed of a limited tactical brilliance. Whereas I," he gestured at himself, "am this. Capable, at best, of being truly memorable when I am being one other than myself. My parents never openly stated they wished I were any different, but those tend to be words you feel more than hear."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 am 

A nod, "Actions do speak louder than words, after all. And children understand a lot more than parents might guess. Still... we both turned out all right, no? I, for one, am more than happy where I've ended up. There may be dreams unlived and choices questioned, but I can hardly imagine I'd actually be any happier if any of that had gone through."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:38 am 

Degarashi nodded his agreement. "I'm beginning to discover that, with time. Part of me still wishes for the glory and attention that my brother receives, but to achieve that I would need to change everything about what I am, and I am not wholly comfortable with that notion, so some other part of me wishes to remain as I am." His eyebrows popped up briefly. "Perhaps I should relax my studies on the Dragon for a time."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:45 am 

"Studies on the Dragon? As in studying the Clan?"

She was a bit confused by that; Perhaps studying for an acting role?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 pm 

"Just a moment of levity. It's something I say whenever I get needlessly philosophical. Studying for a role as a Dragon has a tendency to linger in ways other roles do not."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:04 pm 

"Ah, the famous Dragon inscrutability. I know that feeling. I definitely find overthinking and philosophizing rarely lead me to a good place; If there's Enlightenment that way, then it's not the sort of Enlightenment I want. Better to move on and act, do, explore, discover first hand. At least for me."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:23 pm 

Degarashi's face suddenly became carefully neutral as he pressed his palms together before him. "Ah, Yukarin-sama. You must search for yourself if you wish to find yourself, but must take care not to hide yourself. If simply try to wait for yourself, your false self will overpower your true self, and your true self will become your false self."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:38 pm 

"If I don't know myself by this point, 'Dragon-sama', then I haven't been paying enough attention. After all, I'm pretty talkative and straightforward, and no matter where I go, there I am."

She pinched the back of her other hand lightly with a small smile on her face.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:58 pm 

"I should really follow my own advice, as I often forget myself among the many roles I assume. It can be quite difficult to remember to be myself."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 pm 

"Well, those aren't mutually exclusive things, right? Who you are could be a person who takes on many roles."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:52 pm 

Degarashi covered his eyes with one hand and held the other up in front of him. "Oh please, no nore Dragon philosophy, I'm not sure how much more of it I can take."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:09 pm 

"I sound like a Dragon philosophizing? Iiiinteresting... I might be able to use that some time, if I can get it to be intentional..."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next