It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:35 pm

Post subject: News from Outside (LA, Closed, Izumi's room)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:27 pm 

Tani was... admittedly hesitant to make her way to a Daimyo's room. She was, after all, barely a corporal. But the information that she had was... interesting, if not valuable, and of a sort that was more appropriate to consult with a shugenja of standing rather than the governor. And so, dressed in her nicer kimono as a sign of respect to Izumi's station, she scratched on the door. Behind her, a servant stood with a pot of hot tea and two cups.

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

Post subject: Re: News from Outside (LA, Closed, Izumi's room)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:08 pm 

"Enter" comes the voice from within the room.

Inside, Kitsu Izumi was pouring over scrolls that were stretched out across her table. Upon seeing Tani and the tea, she begins to carefully roll the scrolls up to make room on the table.

"Matsu-san. How can I help you?" Despite her attempts to conceal it, it was difficult to ignore the tired quality to her voice.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:11 pm 

Tani bows to Izumi politely as she enters. The servant follows the proper protocol of bow-put down tea-bow-get the fuck out. As Tani rises, she looks to Izumi and takes a breath. "Kitsu-sama. I wished to speak with you about an unusual occurrence that was noted when scouting today. I hope I am not interrupting important business?"

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 pm 

"Important, yes, but that does not mean that the sun ceases to rise in the morning." She sighs and takes the opportunity to pour a cup of tea for each of them. "What did you discover?"

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:15 pm 

Tani seats herself and takes the cup. "You have no doubt noticed the terrible snow storm that afflicts the village. Well, when we reached just a few miles away from the city, the snow had ceased. This would not be... overly unusual, but it seemed as if it had not snowed in a few days from that point. As if..." She frowned, "As if the city were the epicenter of a localized storm."

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 pm 

"Hmm." Izumi lifts her cup and takes a slow sip of her tea. "There are rumors of snow maidens in the area, but I do not know why one would care about this city."

She falls silent for a few moments, tea still raised in front of her. "I would recommend speaking with the Mantis. Their shugenja are quite skilled at manipulating the weather within localized areas."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:36 pm 

"Gomen, I was unaware of either." She bowed her head. "I will do my best to make arrangements to speak with one and see what can be done to alleviate the worst of the storms." Taking her tea, she sipped it gently. "In the mean time, is there anything I might be able to assist Kitsu-sama with? I know that the situation is... difficult right now, but I would prefer to know that something I am working towards is directly productive until the battle begins."

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:14 pm 

"Unfortunately, I cannot help with that, Matsu-san. My preparations for the moment are for what comes after the battle." She returns her tea cup to the table. "So long as the Toshigoku portal in Kyuden Asako remains open, the threat of a new army - or multiple such armies - appearing from Toshigoku to reinforce the Steel Chrysanthemum remains a troubling possibility. Furthermore, it is possible that, after his defeat, the Steel Chrysanthemum will return to Toshigoku and re-enter the world through the portal, years, months, or even days later."

Izumi shakes her head. "I see no way to win this war while the portal remains open."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:17 pm 

She nodded. "Then it will be up to people like me to make sure you have the chance to do so." She took a breath. "I am no great scholar, no shugenja of any skill. I will not be able to help you with whatever you must do to close that portal. But, at the least, I will clear you a path to success."

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 pm 

Izumi regards Tani with an intense stare, as if she were somehow peering into the woman's very essence. After a moment, she nods her head in approval.

"The heavens have marked you for greatness, Matsu-san. I can use that." She leans to the side, takes a scroll, and unfurls it on the table, just to the side of the tea pot. It showed a map of the lands surrounding Toshi no Omoidoso, including Kyuden Asako.

"Kyuden Asako will most likely be behind enemy lines by the time my preparations have completed. A small task force will have to slip past the enemy, reach Kyuden Asako, and then protect me as I close the portal." She traces a path along the map, then looks up to Tani. "This is most likely a one-way mission."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:28 pm 

Tani studied the map, listened to her explanation. Once everything was clear... especially the one way aspect of the mission... she nodded. "When the time comes, I will be ready."

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:38 pm 

"There is another consideration, Matsu-san." Izumi's expression darkened. "It is entirely likely that those going on this mission will be exposed to the unchecked influence of Toshigoku. The touch of any Spirit Realm leaves a mark upon one's soul that cannot easily be removed, and which allows the realm to claim that soul upon its release from Ningen-do."

She pauses for a moment, choosing her words carefully in light of Tani's father. "While the Empire is most familiar with the jealous touch of Jigoku, the threat posed by Toshigoku is no less serious. It is likely that you will be condemned to an eternity of conflict and slaughter, even if you survive the battle."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 pm 

Tani took a breath at that. Images of her father swept through her mind. The man he had become... the monster. She closed her eyes, fighting those feelings as best she could. And when she looked back up to Izumi, though her face outwardly was perfect On, tears streamed down them. "If my soul is the price to pay to end this madness, that we can stop more from becoming monsters like my father became... that is a price I can pay."

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 pm 

"Yes. Well." Izumi shifts awkwardly and looks down at the map. "That is... good to hear, Matsu-san. I will inform you when the operation commences." She makes a faint sound as she clears her throat.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:49 pm 

Realizing that she was crying, Tani took a moment to wipe away the tears and breathe. "Apologies, Kitsu-sama." She sipped her tea one last time, made sure that Izumi's was full, then rose and bowed low. "At your leave?"

Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:07 pm 

"Of course, Matsu-san. May your ancestors watch over you." She winces slightly, only realizing after the fact that the typical farewell might end up just being another nail in the coffin, but... well, not much to do about it now.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:11 pm 

Tani does not respond further as she makes her

/exit

Description