It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: More Tea Couldn't Hurt [Day 2, Late Afternoon, Expecting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:56 am 

"I'm not sure I ever understood that quote from the Tao as much as I do today. The mix of emotions I've been feeling recently are quite heavy. Sometimes I feel my body can scarcely bear them, but some part of me thrills in the challenge." Degarashi frowned. "Perhaps that is an improper way to feel, but I've had few experiences in life to call my own."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:08 am 

"I'm not really sure that feelings can be improper or not, Bayushi-sama. It's like our On; It is not about what is inside us, but how we express it. And I think that it's not what feelings you have, it's what you do with them that counts. If your life is going roughly and your reaction to those feelings is to make your life better at the expense of others, that would be an improper way to react. If you decide, instead, to fight through the tough times by improving yourself through learning and practice, that might be a more appropriate reaction. I mean, I'm not saying it's always easy; No one is perfect, not even the most perfect samurai. But that's why I'm all the more lenient in how people feel inside."

Taking a long sip of tea, Yuka thought about some of the incidents she'd had with other samurai since the Unicorn had arrived in the Empire and how strict others could be on occasion.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm 

Degarashi paused in sipping his tea, the cup hovering just beyond the veil about his face, his eyes flat as he regarded Yukarin. "It is my understanding that bushido names quite a few feelings which are improper in and of themselves, though they are more commonly called sins, if I'm not mistaken." He shrugged, then sipped his tea casually. "However I am no scholar in such matters. I'm certain if I transgress a local Lion will charge in from beyond the horizon to remove my doubt. Or my head."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:31 pm 

That got a small tsk'ing sound from Yukarin before she took another sip of tea, "I am sure there are much more... traditional souls than myself around here, yes. I certainly would not argue the point with our generous hosts if they wished to lecture me on such things. Not that I am saying that was a large portion of this winter court, but..."

A light shrug, another sip.

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 pm 

But, Degarashi could guess from Yukarin's unspoken words, that was precisely it. Degarashi cleared his throat gently.

Fluff Acting: 6d10o10k3 35

Effecting his best attempt at a Lion courtier, he said "Before we commence proceedings with this winter court, I would like to read my favourite passage from Leadership." He sat more upright and pretended to clear his throat again. " Honor honor honor, honor honor, honor honor. Honor honor. Much more honor. Slightly less honor, but still honor. Your honor. My honor." A pause. "War. Even more honor."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 pm 

Yukarin had a REALLY hard time not laughing. It was parody, certainly, but she remembered a couple times where Leadership was read from. And a couple speeches about the nature of honor. Not having a fan with her (it felt too cold for a fan, despite how some other courtiers used the things), so she covered her broad smile with the back of a hand. Keeping it out of her eyes, however, was a futile thing. As was out of her voice, despite how hard she was trying.

"That... is not inaccurate, Bayushi-sama. Though you do not have the stare for such things I think."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 pm 

"You're right, Yukarin-sama, I'm a failure as an actor!" He gestured broadly, as if struck by an arrow in slow motion. Whatever shall I do?"

Degarashi smiled brightly, just shy of an open laugh. "Though not directly rakugo, the nature was similar, given that the intent is to instill mirth. What do you think, will it go over well?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm 

"I suppose that depends on the person viewing. neh? For most, it will be a welcome respite. For others... well, even if your subject matter is not poking fun at anyone, there are some who may take umbrage with levity in a time of crisis. The Crab, from what I know... well, not a one would. But there are many samurai here, and others may see someone not taking everything with grim determination and a set face as making light of the situation itself. Hopefully the sake and refreshments will help those people though."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:08 pm 

Degarashi's eyes glittered. "One might be left to think I'd already considered such an eventuality, sitting here brokering a deal for food and sake, but to comment on such would spoil the mystery." With another sio of tea and a final helping of rice, the Scorpion finished his meal, setting his chopsticks down to indicate such. "Though if I were so forward thinking, I should also look for a champion, just in case."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:57 pm 

"I'm afraid I cannot help you there; I wasn't provided a yojimbo myself. And it would probably look odd if I recommended a Crab when I do not know the other Crab here well enough to recommend anyone. Besides the fact that I would assume you would want a fellow Scorpion to represent you in such matters."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:03 pm 

"That begs the assumption that there are any samurai who would be willing." The tone of voice he used suggested Degarashi meant that to be taken purely in humor. "Only time roll l will truly tell if such is needed, however."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:07 pm 

"Well, the Lion would hardly allow anything too blatant in that respect; They pride order almost as much as they pride their honor. A scene would likely be with words, not drawn blades. At least from samurai. I will make sure any other unruliness is taken care of."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:12 pm 

"I appreciate the offer of assistance. Crowds are certainly much more difficult to control in any reliable sense, but the risk of bodily harm during the performance is one I should like to avoid." Degarashi chuckled. "Mienai-sensei often had students throw tomatoes at badly performing actors. Strictly as a means of motivation, of course."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 pm 

"I wasn't worried about you in that sense, Bayushi-sama. I was worried about the sake."

...she was deadly serious about that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 pm 

Degarashi's eyes widened in mild surprise, but there was good humor behind it. "I'll take great care not to give anyone the urge to throw their bottles at me, in that case."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:58 pm 

That actually got a stifled chortle to make it past her lips, "I shall have to offer a zeni deposit to get the bottles back or something. I hadn't even thought about it that way. Have you had performances in the past turn rowdy then?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am 

"Oh, somebody always gets offended. Especially when you're trying to offend them." Degarashi shrugged one shoulder. "The art of humor is a delicate one. No true humor comes without some manner of pain." He gestured towards Yukarin. "For instance the pain of recitation after recitation of Leadership. A small pain, to be sure, but without which you would not connect with the truth behind the humor."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 am 

"I think I actually heard that from a storyteller once; That emotion, whether its humor or sadness or excitement, works in a work of art because there is truth to it. Or at least, a truth, something that we understand from our experiences and connect with."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 am 

"Mienai-sensei used somewhat different phrasing. Courtier's use their lies to cover the truth, artisans use their lies to reveal it." He sighed pleasantly. "It is not often that I am able to speak in such a way about my craft. Thank you, Yukarin-sama."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:48 am 

That got a curious tilt of Yukarin's head, hair falling off her shoulder somewhat, "You're not? That seems odd to me."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next