It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D2 EN] A Late Meeting (Open)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am 

Koushi bowed his head in acknowledgment of the weight of that statement. "I have a letter prepared for Kyuden Doji, if a messenger could be spared. I am certain that the representatives of other clans would be equally appreciative of an opportunity to inform their superiors."

Carries: Daisho, Fan, Medical Bag.
Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 am 

Kendo nods.

"It will be done."

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:59 am 

"If a messenger can get out through this weather, one should be sent - the letters can be disseminated once they are safely clear."

A soft sigh.

"I have a sneaking suspicion that this city is not the only one which will face trouble - but it is important to make the situation known so that aid, when available, can be sent."

Crossing her arms and tapping her chin, she added, "What is the strength of the garrison? Which is to say, if we were to come under assault at multiple points, will we be able to fully man all the gates and towers at once? That would inform whether we should utilize a strong force in reserve, or whether we can have a strong initial defense and only hold a small portion back."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:31 am 

Koushi blinked, falling silent in deference to those with more command experience than he on these matters. But he kept his ears pricked for anything on which his expertise might be brought to bear.

Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:42 am 

Clad in armor since earlier this evening, Horonigai enters the court room after receiving notice. A sharp bow to the Governor is provided with a greeting, "Konbanwa, Shimizu-sama," while a shorter one follows to the other samurai, "Minna-san."

She takes a moment to analyze the maps and documents over the table before laying out her thoughts.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 am 

Horonigai wasn't the only late arrival. Iko entered the room on the Imperial's heels and offered a bow to all those here.

"The Dragon would thank Shimizu-sama for this opportunity." She greeted softly enough to be heard, but not to interrupt any ongoing conversations.

Carries: Daisho, Yumi (where appropriate)
Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:27 am 

"Of course. Welcome Seppun-san, nice to see you again."

He looks to the Dragon. "And I welcome the Dragon, as well."

He gestures to the table.

"Suzume-san was just putting her expertise to good use in assisting me, and Doji-san has been diligent in ensuring we adhere to Compassion. They are both to be applauded."

He stands up and takes a few steps away then turns around.

"Our garrisons are sufficient, but not great. The Shimizu family is new, as is the control over this city. I regret to say that I have spent more time ensuring a smooth transition than I have ensuring the protection of the city.

"This is not to say I have been negligent. Engineers have kept the walls in good shape, and we have got stores. As any Lion would be expected to do, we also kept in good training.

"But. We are not exactly hosting a true army behind these walls to confront a supernatural one outside of it. Honestly, I don't see a way we win in open confrontation. I was speaking to Matsu Kōgyoku yesterday, and she reminded me that, in some fights, winning is not on the field of battle but to the tenets of Bushido.

"In this small company, which I trust can see the dire situation we find ourselves in, I wish to say: defending this city might not be a fight we can win in bloodshed, but it is one we must win as samurai.

"We must do what we can to take the right course of action when confronted with a foe that seems to have no sense of right or wrong itself."

He steps back to the table, and a look of concern passes over his face... like maybe he just said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:34 am 

The Miharu looks to the Governor, requesting a moment to speak. When granted, she commences, "I understand Doji-san's idea of moving the remaining people standing at the gates to the ports has been already raised. In the current scenario, I would advise that as the best course of action. If there are ships at the port, some might depart. If there are none, at least they won't be trampled and break morale of the samurai garrisoned inside."

She crosses her arms at her back, chin raised high. "Considering that this fortification is the gateway for the fastest and most well-protected route toward Otosan Uchi for the attacking army, it is but logical that they will come this path and raze this city down to ashes in order to avoid retaliations on their flanks or back after the crossing is done. The next potential standing force they will encounter are those of the Emerald Champion –– the nearest mobile force after this city within the passage to the Empire's Capital. If they do not attack here first, they won't have the advantage. I highly doubt they will simply pass by, yet, in the unlikely case they do, we should follow suit and then clash at their backs as soon as another force faces them."

She nods, looking back at those assembled. "It is essential that we hold here for as long as we can, and send messengers to ask aid from additional forces in order to encircle them while we are under siege."

Horonigai raises her finger up. 'Additionally, I volunteer to guide the refugees at the gates to the port, as soon as we are ready. If this is the plan Shimizu-sama endorses."

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:41 am 

Iko is no great strategist, or tactician, but she had a few questions after the explanation she received.

"If it doesn't breach any sort of securoty issues, might I ask how many heimin and hinin can be found in the city? If we are anticipating this catastrophe to be over in... One week, two at the most? Can we send them off to the ports as early as tomorrow, before the enemy arrives, to invite the rest of the samurai outside the gates within to strengthen our fighting forces?"

"I realise that would leave us without servants and other niceties, but this us war minna-sama. Also I am showing a great trust with a matter that I don't believe is a Clan secret, but if it is I will pay for this later. Last night the Dragon delegation were visited by our Champion Togashi Motaro, and he left us a relic of power. Are there any other assets other than warriors or walls we could bring online for our mutual defenses?"

Carries: Daisho, Yumi (where appropriate)
Description

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm 

Koushi's eyes widened in momentary shock. but the courtly mask descended again just as quickly. Dragons...

)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm 

Togashi Iko wrote:
"... Can we send them off to the ports as early as tomorrow, before the enemy arrives, to invite the rest of the samurai outside the gates within to strengthen our fighting forces?"

Horonigai endorses Iko's suggestions with a firm nod and a snorted, "Un!"

Togashi Iko wrote:
Last night the Dragon delegation were visited by our Champion Togashi Motaro, and he left us a relic of power. Are there any other assets other than warriors or walls we could bring online for our mutual defenses?"

The Seppun tilts her head and widens eyes at hearing that a Clan Champion was among them. "That is... great news! A Champion. Here. This is... well... where is he?"

She looks left, and then right while hands go slightly up.

Last edited by Seppun Horonigai on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:59 pm 

Chihaya sighed, and then said, softly, "How many would you ask to leave their homes to an uncertain fate, without guidance or protection?"

With a small shrug, she added, "We cannot be sure the port can hold them, or provide passage elsewhere, especially for so many. Moving families with children and elderly, likewise, will be a slow moving and easy target."

Looking down at the map, she added, "I'm not certain we can trust all of those who are outside the walls, either... cities have fallen before, when their gates were opened from within. Given how many have already been allowed entry, we may need to keep a guard on the gates at all times."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:10 pm 

Koushi looked from the Sparrow to the Governor and then back again.

"If I understand Shimizu-sama correctly, Suzume-sama, if they stay here we only condemn them to die with us. Better, I think, to give them an opportunity of escape, however narrow, than to force them into a fight to which they cannot contribute."

)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:14 pm 

"Shitsurei shimasu," Horonigai reinforces apologetically, "Allow me reinforce that moving those outside the gates as quickly as possible would be advised. Opening the gates and shuffle people around is not something we should risk doing. Not at this point."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:17 pm 

Doji Koushi wrote:
Koushi looked from the Sparrow to the Governor and then back again.

"If I understand Shimizu-sama correctly, Suzume-sama, if they stay here we only condemn them to die with us. Better, I think, to give them an opportunity of escape, however narrow, than to force them into a fight to which they cannot contribute."

"Do not be certain that they cannot contribute."

She drummed her fingers on her knee, and then added, "In defense of their homes, even peasants can fight - and putting their elders and children out into the winter, away from the only fortified position in reach, is too great a risk. Suppose we are wrong and this army passes by, catching them as they pass? It would be a slaughter, all because we had the hubris to believe we knew the minds of our enemy so perfectly."

A soft sigh. "Within these walls, at least, they have some shelter - and they have the strongest fighting force in the area ready to defend them. I believe those within should stay - and those without should proceed onward, and quickly."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:20 pm 

"Is our greatest duty to this city or to this Empire?"

The governor finally spoke up. He was a man who liked to allow time between words and thoughts, not one who quickly rushed to speaking. He appreciated there were many here to give voice to many ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 pm 

Horonigai impulses were tamed by the Governor's example, and she allowed others to express thoughts before jumping in.

Breathe, she reminds herself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:30 pm 

"My duty is to the empire - but this city is part of that empire."

She sighed. She didn't think the governor needed a speech on the finer details of duty from a Suzume, given that as the governor, he would know that his duty was to the city he had been entrusted with, so she simply added, "The most important thing, as far as I am aware, that we can do is delay this force - and with luck, break it against the walls. We have done our utmost to find solutions for those refugees in need - and with messages sent onward, we can give warning to others."

Tucking her hands into her sleeves, she added, "If there is more which I have missed, please tell me - I am working upon supposition."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm 

"We do not have long before an army arrives. If the most important thing is to delay the army... to what end? Delay it from what? A delay entails a final goal, and it is hard to delay a thing when you don't know its destination."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:04 pm 

"If nothing else... delay it from harming those under our protection."

Chihaya rested her hands in her sleeves. "I was not there, but from what I hear, they were quite indiscriminate in their assault - maybe when they arrive they will not seek battle, and will instead parlay - so much the better, but for now, the most we can do is fortify the city, send word to the rest of the Empire of the situation, and move these refugees onward and out of the path of danger, no?"

Glancing at the reports, she added, "If there is concern about those peasants remaining inside the walls being unable to aid in defense - my clan integrates closely with ashigaru soldiers in our units - I could aid in drill, if you believe that we will need to levy a force as reserve, and if we have weapons to spare for such an undertaking."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next