It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:50 pm

Post subject: Re: Day 1 LE: A Farewell to Dragons (open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:08 am 

"It is a relief to me to see that the majority sees the threat for what it is. And I suspect that many, if not all, are arguing the opposite case out of a lack of information and firsthand experience. The response of the Phoenix is a welcome reminder that the people of the Empire, even for all of our fighting and discord, truly do care for one another. It is exemplary of the honor of those that serve the heavens," Kin says in response Tomomi's statement of Phoenix support. He clearly had no issue with talking about the issue. Despite the swirling images of death that haunt his thoughts now, he would not allow his concerns to stand in the way of his duty to the Empire.

"I'm not sure how cohesive or organized the Steel Chrysanthemum's plans were among the returned. But I could not begin to understand what kind of influence he wields over them either. Whether it is a loyalty to him, a drive of their nature, or an overarching plot that spans longer than the time since their return is completely a mystery to me in all honesty. I know very little of the truth of their return and there has been no information filtered to most on the subject. I also have no real knowledge of the truth and history of Hantei XVI. Do you have any insight from a historian's perspective on that?"

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 am 

(ooc, waiting on results of roll to see if I have deeper than general knowledge insights, but here's what we currently have).

Taking a deep breath, partly to sort thoughts and memory of old lessons that she'd been rifling through all day, Tomomi answers the question. It's much easier than analyzing whether, or how much, most people cared for random people vs. caring enough to earn favors or pad the layer of people between themselves and danger.

"His reputation is warranted. As Emperor, his words were, of course, always correct for the time and his actions divine in nature. One must remember that Fortunes have wrathful aspects and rules that are occasionally difficult for mere mortals to fathom." This was a rather standard disclaimer. Some form of it graced nearly every history that delved into the Steel Chrysanthemum's reign. "We still really don't know the overarching purpose or value to the Heavens of his cruelty and brutality, but it was a harsh time for the court. His reign began well, but...he saw plots everywhere and acted to squash them. The people of the Empire suffered greatly."

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, satchel of paper and writing supplies, small mirror, incense

"people are trapped in history and history is trapped in them" -James Baldwin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 am 

Quietly listening to the history lesson, Kin seemed truly interested in understanding this threat, at least the mindset of the one at the head of the threat. He would be delving into the more practical concerns of the spirits tomorrow but having an appreciation for man seemingly leading them could definitely not hurt. And so he paid rapt attention to the history lesson...

(glad to wait for the results)

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 am 

"He was known as an amazingly skillful courtier, which should be remembered as he tries to reclaim the throne that is no longer his. The...brutality of the murder at this year's court matches the paranoid hunts of his later years. He ordered the Crab Champion to murder his own mother, the dowager Empress. This was after having much of the rest of his family killed, or being strongly suspected as the cause of their deaths." She pauses, thoughtful. "By all accounts, the early days of his reign were prosperous and well organized. He was known as the Golden Chrysanthemum. then."

"But, not for all that long. The heavens began to show their displeasure of his actions, and it was not so long before the grimmer sobriquet Steel Chrysanthemum began to be used. To control all of the returned spirits he has, and to have them hide their nature out among the people all this time, reflects the cleverness and talent he had as a courtier. But the brutality he ended court with...it's clear that he has not lost his fondness for the tools that ended up convincing his own Seppun guards to end his reign."

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, satchel of paper and writing supplies, small mirror, incense

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:53 am 

"I am glad to know this. I had expected him to be at least capable of the dance of court. After all, he had positioned himself for his act of treachery quite capably. I wonder if his new nature has dulled the edge at all?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:35 am 

Tomomi doesn't frown, exactly, but there's a furrow to her brow that would have barely been noticeable with a younger woman's face. Now the slackening of tone deepens it to a rather obvious hint as to her concern. "There is a belief among several of my kin with experience in such things that the returned ancestors are actually spirits from the Realm of Slaughter." It didn't feel right actually saying the true name of the realm in this temple, she doesn't bother keeping her voice low or hiding it from the monk nearby. It's not really a rumor she minds sending through the city if it causes extra caution or brings someone forward with knowledge of how to combat such things.

"I am very loathe to say that the Steel Chrysanthemum is anything of the sort..." Did Emperor's go to Yomi? Or did they join their divine ancestors in Tengoku? She'd have to look that up. "but it may be that surrounded by such influence, it is hard for the more calculated schemes to remain formost in his arsenal. Otherwise I think he would have spent more time building support before making such a bloody move."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:14 am 

"Well, whatever the case, it's still a dangerous situation. I do have meeting soon to learn more about returned spirits, the dangers they pose and how best to deal with them. With someone that is practiced in hunting disruptive and dangerous spirits. I hope that it will be revealing and helpful for the situation at hand," he replies. He was happy to have the additional information but there is not much to do with it for now and her tone suggested that she may be reaching the extent of her understanding of the Steel Chrysanthemum.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:25 am 

She definitely was, though she was resolved to read up if any of the libraries in town offered anything more. "That sounds like someone whose expertise will be in demand here. Would you mind sharing their name before we depart?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:30 am 

"I am not actually sure myself. They work with Bayushi Norikami, the pair of them working to hunt monsters and dangerous spirits. From the little he explained to me of his experiences it seems they are quite knowledgeable."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:21 am 

"I will look them up then. Perhaps they would find clues in my interviews with the returned that I haven't the knowledge to spot." She offers an appreciative bow. "Until we meet for tea then, may the Fortunes favor you."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 am 

"You as well, Isawa-san. Take care." He bows to the Phoenix and then starts making his way back to the castle to get some sleep.