It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:25 pm

Post subject: Finding One's Morale Compass[Day 2, Early Afternoon, Open]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:04 pm 

Degarashi looked troubled as he wandered the crowded streets, watching as the refugees poured into the city one after another. The suffering of the people was great, and the press of bodies set him on edge. It was far too easy to take an unseen blade in a situation like this, and a panicked peasant wouldn't even offer the professional courtesy of leaving your corpse alone once the deed was done. Here, all Degarashi had to look forward to if he found the business end of a blade was the slim hope that they might stop after trampling, looting, and re-trampling his lifeless body.

So, out of a mixture of feelings in no way aiding his paranoia, he found himself traveling to one of the city's many temples, favoring one devoted to air and openness, where he could find room to breathe, and perhaps something to distract him from his impending sense of peasant trodden doom.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Last edited by Bayushi Degarashi on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Finding One's Morale Compass[Day 2, Early Afternoon, Inv
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:27 pm 

A green and golden bamboo themed umbrella outstands above the crowd in a nearby corner. Horonigai was caught by surprise with the influx of so many people into the streets, but fortunately managed find an empty spot with a small shrine attached to it.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:39 pm 

Degarashi naturally gravitated towards the colorful umbrella, which seemed to stand out in a pocket of clear space which looked to Degarashi much like water might to a traveler in the Burning Sands. Here made his way to it with haste, only belatedly noticing the young woman holding it. He stopped outside the divine circle, took note of the mons adorning the young lady, and bowed his respect.

"Ohayo, Seppun-sama. One wonders if they might share your refuge from the... refugees. This one, Bayushi Degarashi, especially wonders that."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:25 pm 

"Nani!?"

Horonigai shakes her head, a bit surprised that there was someone addressing. She heard it clear, but couldn't see who it was right away, since the mob wouldn't stop moving around. Yet, it didn't take half a heartbeat for her to notice.

"Konnichiwa, Bayushi-san," the Seppun provides a rushed bow, and an encouraging wave of her hand for him to seek shelter at her side, however tight and narrow that space was. "Douzo, douzo. Come by."

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:34 pm 

Degarashi hesitated only for a moment as he weighed propriety versus practicality, before taking up a spot beside the Seppun. His propriety had already been violated several times in the past few minutes, and if it was to be violated again, it would be on his own terms.

"Domo, Seppun-sama. Have you had r-" Degarashi stopped himself before mentioning rice among the flood of refugees. "Have you been blessed by inari-no-kami today?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 pm 

She takes a tiny step aside –– which really didn't count for anything –– to have Degarashi tucked in at her side. The kimono brushing was inevitable. Horonigai made sure to shift her daisho up not to be a nuisance, even though that meant a clear open guard... to bushi, at least.

"Hai!" She replies to his question, moving the umbrella at an angle that would cover both of them. "Gomen, ne. I've been rude. I am Seppun Horonigai. I hope Inari-no-kami has blessed you today, as well."

The concerned Miharu looks to the crowd. "I hope she has manages to bless all os us."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:47 pm 

"It would be a terrible thing indeed if the touch of the frost dragon lingered much longer..."

He shook his head, then turned to regard the young Seppun in earnest for the first time.

Bayushi's mask, is this what all women in the empire look like? Degarashi was gaining a new perspective into why he was so thoroughly ignored by most. "If I may ask, what has you standing here, of all places, at this time?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:21 pm 

The Imperial politely ignores any potential starring –– or starry eyes –– focused on her. She has been mostly humble how others see her, and understands it is soemthing to be treated with the respect it deserves.

"Eto," She lifts a finger up to explain, "I heard the commotion on the streets and thought I could help. Yet, there were too many people coming and I noticed they wouldn't not stop, or pay attention to small details such as this small shrine. So, I thought that standing with an open umbrella would make people turn the other way, thus protecting the shrine, and potentially help anyone within the wave of people not being able to....," Horonigai taps her chin before completing, "... swim through it?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 pm 

"Ah, a respectable effort, Seppun-sama, to protect so humble a shrine as this. One would scarcely want it trodden into the dirt." He turned to glance at her, smirking so briefly it may never have been there. "This one can nearly speak from experience as to the unpleasant nature of such a fate."

Degarashi watched the crowds as they moved, shaking his head slowly, feeling the nervous energy that many among them struggled even now to contain. "They're close to breaking already. Barely a day has passed and so much has changed for them, and so violently..."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:21 pm 

She nods. A worrisome expression fixed at her furrowed eyebrows. "Yesterday, I was the one dragging myself on the snowy fields trying to protect refugees coming to this city. So, I see hope now, knowing that these ones reached so far. I worry more about the ones that could not escape at all.""

Horonigai pauses to remind herself of what he said about being trodden in dirt, and inquires, "Are you a refugee, too?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 pm 

"In some ways, Seppun-sama, those who passed have experienced a mercy against what must surely come next. The fortunes will care for them in ways we can only hope to achieve."

Degarashi shook himself lightly when asked about his status as a refugee. "I am not, Seppun-sama, merely commenting upon the dangerous nature of the ocean from which we now seek refuge beneath your umbrella."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:25 pm 

"Un!" She notes positively, but it is not satisfied with the reply, questioning again, "You talked about yourself, though. Your 'experience', you said. What about it –– how can you relate being... 'trodden in the dirt'?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:02 pm 

Degarashi glanced at the Seppun, then at himself, as if that explained some of it. "Oh, where to begin..." One might be forgiven for thinking the deep inhale was merely the precursor to a long sigh, but instead; "I'm a trained Shosuro actor who passed my gempukku roughly three years ago, with no status or glory to speak of, and years of ridicule and negligence on the part of my parents and peers along the way. Most of this attention went to my younger brother who, among other things, is more attractive, more tactical, a better fighter, and more beloved. I brought a cat home one week and my parents fawned over it, fawned over my brother, and forgot to feed me that week." This time only his eyes moved towards her. "Oh, and a marriage agreement between the Lion and my brother used to be intended for me. So that's... some of why I said that."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:47 pm 

She doesn't blink –– not even for a moment –– as he tells his story. There's an awkward silence for some heartbeats, and, suddenly, the girl bursts into some sort of silent laughter.

She puts her both hands over her mouth to hold it, of course, and, inevitably, the umbrella falls down on her head, being taller. It immediately closes, engulfing them within.

Inside, she just can't control it, and the laugh comes out with pleads of forgiveness. "Shit-hahahah, Shitsu-hahaha. Shitsurei shimas-hahahaha!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:55 pm 

Unable to help himself, Degarashi begins to laugh as well, as much at the absurdity of what he said as at the utterly deadpan delivery. Thankful for the umbrella covering the lapse in his demeanor, the Scorpion becomes slowly more aware of the sudden closeness caused by the failure of the umbrella.

After some effort he manages to recover first, taking hold of the umbrella and holding it at the ready for when Horonigai recovered, trying not to think too much about where he'd had to reach to recover the umbrella.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 am 

Horinigai takes some time to leash up the laughter, and dries up a tear of joy with her finger. It does blur her so well-prepped eyeliner, but she doesn't notice. With a smiley nod to Degarashi, she mentions it is ok to reopen the umbrella.

Then, she remarks, "Actor, ne~. I wonder how much of what Shoruro-san said was reality and which was the part that was fiction."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:15 am 

"Oh, it was every bit true, Seppun-sama. My brother is Bayushi Yukinaga, betrothed to Matsu Kogyoku-sama. And I was once overlooked for a cat, though looking back, things are often more humorous than they are in the moment." Degarashi shrugged, little bothered by the words, true or not. "Regardless, the moment of... freedom, let's say, seems to have lightened your burden some."

((Probably doesn't sound too sincere))
Fluff Sincerity, one pointless raise: 6d10o10k3-2 17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am 

Horonigai's eyes sadden a bit as she can't find the truth out of his words. She sighs, thinking, you were making such an impression Degarashi-kun. Why lie?

"I've met your honorable brother this morning, hai." She nods, and adds, "I've also met Matsu Kougyoku-san, the other day. Interesting person, she is."

[Fluff Investigation (Notice) vs. Degarashi TN 17: 6d10ro1o10k3 24]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:04 am 

"So I have heard, but have yet had the honor of meeting her myself." He left the part where he had no idea how he would even behave around her unspoken. It was a bridge he was still dreading to cross.

Turning to face Horonigai, Degarashi made a sweeping gesture around them. "May I ask? If humor got through to you as it did, how do you imagine it would fall upon them?" He gestured not simply at the samurai around them, but the heimin and the eta as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:14 pm 

"I am unsure humor would alleviate the situation for all of them. Yet, for some, maybe. A story, a song. Something to fill their hearts while their stomachs are empty." Horonigai nods, commenting, "Your brother's betrothed, though," the girl bites her lower lip showing worrisome thoughts crossing her mind, "Eh! I would restrain myself on trying to humor her up."