It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:35 pm

Post subject: [D2 EN] A Late Meeting (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:06 pm 

The governor sits in the court room, sitting at the largest table, pouring over maps of the region. The balcony is closed off, and a guard sits outside the door to ensure that only those with the status to speak on behalf of their Clan are permitted inside.

[Any character above Status 1 may enter this thread to talk to the governor about the plans moving forward. This isn't an Event Thread, it's just an open chance to chat in a more formal setting.]

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

Post subject: Re: [D2 EN] A Late Meeting (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 pm 

With events seemingly moving toward conflict, Suzume Chihaya arrived to offer whatever help she could.

Unfortunately, her unit was still in the Sparrow valley, so she couldn't call them to help her, but perhaps her skills might still be of use.

Somehow.

Hearing the governor was welcoming any aid, an unusual decision for a Lion, she decided to go.

Dressed in her breastplate and greaves over plain kimono and hakama, emblazoned with her mons which spoke to her identity and rank, she introduced herself to the guards, stating her purpose as well.

Once allowed in, she would greet the governor with a deep bow, and a simple re-introduction. "Shiimizu-sama. Suzume Chihaya, Shoi of the Sparrow army, at your service."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:11 pm 

"Glad to have you here, Suzume-san, and glad to meet you in less... strange circumstances. Have a seat."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm 

Chihaya nodded, taking the offered position and looking over the copious notes which spread across the table.

"Would that I had my unit with me, I could offer a more substantive contribution, but as matters stand, you have my blade, and my experience."

She tried to make sense of the maps, and added, "Do we have a grasp on the situation? I have heard only rumor and hearsay thus far."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm 

Koushi, unarmored but dressed in the simplest, most functional of his ensembles, arrived moments after the Sparrow. Ushered in by the guards, he approached and bowed deeply.

"Shimizu-sama, Suzume-sama, Doji Koushi, physician, representing the Crane clan."

Carries: Daisho, Fan, Medical Bag.
Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:22 pm 

"There is definitely an army on the way, and refugees we can no longer let in the gates." He seems defeated even saying the words. "The prospects do not look bright."

Upon the Crane entering, he says, "Welcome, Doji-san. I have a feeling that a physicians advice will be most welcome here. I was just saying that our prospects do not look bright, given the scouts' reports of the army coming our way."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 pm 

"Ah." He frowned. "The refugee situation will not be improved by their presence." A pause. "Of course, given the rate of frostbite and exhaustion I have seen in those admitted to the city today, I am not certain that the unsheltered outside of the city will survive for much longer in any case."

His voice was pained; this had been weighing ever since the gates had been shut.

Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 pm 

"The needs of the many..." Kendo says under his breath.

"You have seen the state of things in the city, Doji-san. Do you think we could have safely taken in more?" The question seems genuine and pained, like Koushi's, almost as if he wants to hear someone agree with the hard choice to let them be closed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 pm 

Chihaya nodded. Compassion and duty were sometimes difficult to reconcile.

"Do we have sufficient supplies to aid them in setting up camp beyond the city walls, or to furnish them with what is necessary to reach smaller settlements for aid?"

A soft sigh. "I understand the gates cannot be opened - the risk would be far too great, but I do not know the limits of the city stockpiles... especially with so many new inhabitants already."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm 

Kendo waves his hand. "The supplies were running low, as happens near the end of winter."

"My best thought is moving them to the opposite side of the city. I would send them on, but I don't have the supplies to give them to keep them alive on the road."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:44 pm 

Koushi tilted his head. "With supplies as they are, the gates needed to be closed. However, there is a port a short distance away. Sending the refuges south on ships would be the neatest solution."

A pause. "While samurai will never shirk in their duties, seeing large numbers of people succumb to the swords of the enemy will certainly affect performance."

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:46 pm 

"Hai..."

She scowled.

"If we cannot feed them, moving on might be their only chance of survival - otherwise... their fate may well depend on the mercies of those who follow them."

Gazing at the map, she tried to see if there was anywhere the refugees could be encamped with some bare modicum of shelter, away from the castle walls, should access to the port be closed for any reason.

"Leaving them next to the city might invite them to be caught in the center, should fighting break out. It would devastate morale if we had to watch... well... I'd certainly struggle not to go out and do something foolish."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:07 pm 

"Wise words."

He points to the city on the map. "I have concerns about the people in this city and surrounding lands, but I also have concerns about, should this city fall, the march of the army south toward Otosan Uchi. We are, in many ways, the bastion against access to the greater empire."

"Perhaps, then, if we send the refugees toward the port, it could save them, at least, from the traveling army. It is likely they will not veer toward the port."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 pm 

Koushi smiled.

"Hai, Shimizu-sama. It seems unlikely to me as well, particularly if there are no ships there for the enemy to seize when they arrive."

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:39 pm 

"Our stores could be made to help the refugees, if we do not expect to hold the city against a siege..." he trails off. "If, one way or another, we do not need to hold out, we will have food and more to spare."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:42 pm 

Koushi raised an eyebrow. "I would beg your pardon, Shimizu-sama, but I am uncertain as to reasonable alternatives to a siege."

)

Last edited by Doji Koushi on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:42 pm 

Chihaya nodded, thoughtfully, and then added, "The only concern I have... I do not know yet why this army is marching - if it seeks the death of those people, they may follow them to the port, endangering it as well."

She glanced at the maps.

"Would we be able to intervene, should their be an attack on the port? Does it have any defenses?"

At the comment on a siege, she sighed, and then said, in leaden tones. "Though it pains me to say this - we should not deplete the stores to the point that we could not survive a siege - our first duty is to the city, and those who dwell within it. As a Suzume, I am used to thin rations, and perhaps your people could ration to some extent, but we must not empty the granary too quickly."

Gazing at the map, she added, "If we can feed and warm them tonight, perhaps that would give them the strength to finish their journey on the morrow. Outfitting them with supplies may not be within our means - your quartermasters could better answer that concern."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:29 pm 

The governor sits silently as he thinks.

Doji Koushi wrote:
Koushi raised an eyebrow. "I would beg your pardon, Shimizu-sama, but I am uncertain as to reasonable alternatives to a siege."

"The alternatives to a siege are not reasonable, but that does not mean there are not alternatives. I was not recommending them, merely stating that the most sure way to ensure the refugees are taken care of is to abandon hope of surviving a siege."

Suzume Chihaya wrote:
Chihaya nodded, thoughtfully, and then added, "The only concern I have... I do not know yet why this army is marching - if it seeks the death of those people, they may follow them to the port, endangering it as well."

She glanced at the maps.

"Would we be able to intervene, should their be an attack on the port? Does it have any defenses?"

At the comment on a siege, she sighed, and then said, in leaden tones. "Though it pains me to say this - we should not deplete the stores to the point that we could not survive a siege - our first duty is to the city, and those who dwell within it. As a Suzume, I am used to thin rations, and perhaps your people could ration to some extent, but we must not empty the granary too quickly."

Gazing at the map, she added, "If we can feed and warm them tonight, perhaps that would give them the strength to finish their journey on the morrow. Outfitting them with supplies may not be within our means - your quartermasters could better answer that concern."

"At this point, we cannot risk opening the gates again, and there is no good way to warm them tonight. We might be able to get them some food, but all that we do lowers our chances of survival. We will need to ration, regardless, if we are to keep our walls closed."

He sighs a bit. "As to the port, we cannot say where the army will go, but we can plan to the best of our knowledge. If it follows the refugees to the port, it is likely because we have already fallen here. Then, our second guessing will not matter anymore."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:25 pm 

"Hai, Shimizu-sama. It is wise to recognize our limitations. Diverting the refugees from the walls to the port, where they have some chance of survival, would seem our best option."

A pause, during which his eyes flashed apology to the Sparrow.

"I wonder if it would be possible to arrange for the dispatch of messengers to warn the clans of what is coming. If our situation is as precarious as it would seem, it may well be that Otosan Uchi will need to have its defenses bolstered. It would also allow support in food or soldiers to reach us by sea, if we hold out long enough."

)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:05 am 

"That is a good thought, Doji-san. And with such august company as has been arriving from fleeing the Winter Court, we need to ensure this city, and their, safety, above all."