It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:25 pm

Post subject: D2EM, Might Be the Last Chance for a While (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 pm 

(Wall of text incoming.)

His regular sleep pattern being disrupted by events, Kasuga Seitouna makes his way out into the city with the dawn, finding a place to get a hot breakfast and "the strongest tea you have; brew it too long, please."

As he settles in, he takes out paper and notes, putting together the leaves he had already composed:
Quote:
Day broke early on [Day One];it was not the touch of Lady Sun that started the day, but the confused cries of peasants shepherded along by samurai, some staggering from wounds or disbelief, others striding ahead sternly despite what they had seen. And what they had seen was a sight such as none should see--the death of an Emperor by another's hand.

And worse, by that of his own ancestor.

Quote:
The Lion who held the town and those of them who came into it swiftly took matters in hand, the precision in which they had been drilled since the First Akodo walked showing in their efficiency, and the compassion to which Bushido calls all apparent in how they opened their city to those in need. Nor yet were they alone in it, with representatives of the Left Hand working to support the Right, and even those of humbler status working to ease the suffering and tend to those in need of it.

It was a strange dawn that day, but one that showed golden glimmers of hope under the gathering storm clouds. What blizzard would come of it, I could not then write--I cannot now write. But the chill was from more than the lingering winter, and no blanket or flame could quite keep it out.

Quote:
It is perhaps in the small things that normalcy survives, and in which those who face such times as these can retain something of who and what they were before. And in the face of tumult, in the wake of vile deeds, still did someone bearing both a daisho and a larger blade, such as is ascribed to the serpent-folk, carry three others' daisho with him, wrapped reverently and presented to a Lion officer at the gate. He seemed to stand with her a time, and it can only be assumed that he offered his services in the interim, standing with his new hosts in what we all began to understand was a time of great need.

Given the tumult that beset Toshi no Omoidasu on that fateful day, it made sense, of course, that the Governor, Shimizu Kendo, would call for counsel. His court opened again, admitting many who had been present and many who had fled in, and there was much said by many people.

Quote:
Several spoke at the Governor's command, espousing the view that the Son of Heaven, Hantei XXII, whose memory is yet keenly felt, had been wrongly usurped, though by another who had held the Throne by right. Others in the room answered in kind, their fervor understandable in the shock of knowing that their lord and master had fallen--and not even in battle, with glory, but by an attack that from another source could only be called treachery.

And, indeed, for kin to slay kin is a grievous thing.

Cries rose up for war to be wrought against those who had done such wrong and supported it, cries for war to support the heir to the slain Son of Heaven, a child of the Right Hand. Young though he was then, and in peril--for how can a son be safe when his father's killer yet lives?--there were many who avowed their fealty to him from Toshi no Omoidasu.

Quote:
Indeed, one of the returned Children of Shinjo, proud in purple, shouted like the wind of his Clan's following, horn sounding in the Lion court notes that others had surely blown before, as those attending gave heed. And the wind fluttered the leaves of the trees of those gathered, though how the branches shook might not always have been easy to see.

If they shook, though, they shook in increasing unison, a steady drum-beat to follow the horn-call, gaining in clarity and strength.

For my own part, being out of my depth--I have been a sea-borne Tortoise, after all, accustomed to a different swelling and pitching--I could but observe as those better versed in the ways of courts handled themselves, and, as I had been bidden by my better, I fixed as much as I could in my memory and in the work of my pen-hand.

Quote:
Indeed, as we who were gathered there, those who had been in the city before and those who had fled to it that very morning, we began to realize that we would be at the front of such battle as would come. We began to realize that we would be the focus of an attack we were increasingly certain would come. And it would be at a poor time to endure such a thing, at the end of winter with the leaves not yet green here, with the stores of provisions nearing their end. For who could anticipate such a happening, such a usurpation of the order inherited from our ancestors--and occasioned by an ancestor.

But that occasion is what gave some pause. Others, more learned than I, might well think it thus that one returned from beyond--and an Emperor, no less--who acted so could not but be an emissary of the worlds beyond this. Some of those others might well think that a returned Emperor could not but act as the Heavens will. And that might be why it is that so much discussion had to follow.

All true samurai seek to serve the right, and they do it as their lords command. But when their lord can say no more, what then? Vengeance, yes, but against an Emperor? What true samurai could consider turning a hand against the blood of the Shining Prince?

Quote:
One, a Phoenix, helped to break the impasse, it seemed. Speaking with the knowledge of her Clan, she asserted that, in fact, the slayer of his heir, Hantei XVI, was a spirit in violation of the Order of Heaven. Though only upon one leg, she stood firm on the point, introducing a certainty that reinforced the fervor already in the room.

Quote:
The Governor found himself focused on the doings of the court before him, which began to separate into smaller groups, the thunder of their unified drumming losing its rhythm and quieting. A single Matsu put herself forward, to the Governor's approval, and it seemed that much of the momentum that had been building among the rest began to play out. Heroes of some renown turned away from the matter of most eminence--but, again, it is sometimes in the smallest things that we are reminded most of who and what we are.

I note that the Tortoise remain a small Clan, even now.

Quote:
I note, too, that while there was earnest discussion of how to meet the threat that had presented itself, and there were other discussions that spring up whenever any diverse group meets, some yet attended to the arts. And it was good to see the youthful merriment in the eyes of some who seemed almost to amuse themselves as if with toys on the floors of their childhood homes. That they felt so secure in the place then, even with the news of the Emperor's death having come, surely bespeaks their trust in the Lion's strength. Whoever might think it would have another source...well, there are opinions and opinions, after all.

Quote:
As the players put on their shows for the Governor and for themselves, parts being adapted and performed, I began to wonder how many of those who had fled to Toshi no Omoidasu this morning were sincere and how many were...otherwise. Because it seems that a good time to make clandestine motions is when much else is moving, the general tumult serving to conceal.

How many who had joined us were simply waiting to strike?

Of course, some would always have been; such is the nature of court. But, knowing how much support there must be for the child of Hantei XXII, may his memory never fade, it could not but be a warning or a threat--and an opportunity to show strength by eliminating it.

Quote:
After I made my small contribution to the discussion--my words there were unimportant against those of greater skill, but I could not refuse to lift my voice--the Governor called for a final thrust of discussion. It was clear that, having taken the counsel of his kin, he was near to a decision. And that is no surprise.

And with that done, around sips of tea and bites of food, he composes his other notes from the day before:
Quote:
Of course, it is the case that some things continue in nearly every circumstance. I had occasion to replenish and augment my stores of paper, which was fortunate, and I was pleased to find quality washi even in the exigency. The resources of those loyal to the Emperor, the true Emperor, are astounding to consider, and even more to experience.

And I learned that there were other places I might look for other things. I did not think it meet that I should do so quite at that time, but, as surely as the dusk follows after the day, I knew that I would thither soon.

But that the Tortoise is slow does not mean it does not tire, and night drew on. I made my way back to the rooms that I had been given--and now shared. But I did not get there without interruption--and a pleasant one, as I happened across the mighty trumpeter from the day's session of court and a healer I had seen impressively at work earlier in the day. We talked together for a time, and I found myself in mind again of my voyage away, when I saw whales and orochi out in the open sea.

The Children of the Wind may have blown far before returning to Rokugan's breath, but there are other winds that fill the Tortoise sails and carry other words.

Alas, the night closed in, and I retired to my room at last. Time at sea had made me accustomed to sleeping in close quarters, so I did not suffer so much as some might, and I was able to requisition enough material from the staff to string together a workable hammock--though I confess it strange to sleep in one without the rocking of a ship to help lull me to sleep.

And with that done, he settles back a bit, relaxing and eating and taking in such news of the day as was already available. The peasantry, not marking the Tortoise much as they passed by, had all manner of interesting tales to tell--especially about a Mantis and an Ikoma.

The Mantis is an annoyance, he thinks, though the Ikoma might be a problem.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

Post subject: Re: D2EM, Might Be the Last Chance for a While (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:13 pm 

Still blinking away some sleep, Degarashi made the decision to begin the day with some strong tea and a few bites to eat. He entered the establishment, looking for a place to seat himself, when he smelled an incredibly familiar scent; overboiled tea, just like his father drank. The aroma singed a few of Degarashi's more noteworthy nose hairs back into uniformity, and curiosity took control.

Following what was left of his nose, he made his way to a booth housing a Kasuga deep in thought as he scribbled some notes about kami knows what. The man seemed quite intent on his work, so Degarashi did the only thing any respectable Scorpion would do: secretly read as much as he could before being noticed.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:17 pm 

It is not long at all before Seitouna notices, but a large part of what he was revising had been written in court, and there was nothing sensitive in the rest, so it is with equanimity that he looks up and gives a shallow seated bow.

"Scorpion-san, would you care to join me this fine, chill morning? There are seats, and the perspective is useful."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:21 pm 

"I would be honored, Kasuga-sama. Warmth and perspective are always to be appreciated." Degarashi bowed before taking a seat, staring idly at the potent tea. "I must admit my curiosity in coming over here was stirred by the scent of your tea. My father takes his in much the same way."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:23 pm 

"Oh? It is a useful thing for early mornings, particularly when a person is accustomed to later hours.

"But forgive me, my manners. Kasuga Seitouna. And you?"

He artfully arranges his papers into a stack, leaving the top leaf bare to inspection, if the Scorpion cares to look further.

And he does wave over another cup, adding to the servant "Another pot will likely be welcome soon, if you'll start it now, my friend."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:30 pm 

"Yes, I believe that was my father's logic for the strong tea as well." Degarashi bowed gently from his seat. "Bayushi Degarashi, of the Shosuro Butei school. It is a pleasure to meet you." Degarashi did glance over the notes. It was only proper Scorpion behavior, and he was glad he did, having missed attending court when it was convened.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:50 pm 

"What brought you to Toshi no Omoidasu, Bayushi-san?" Seitouna asks as the second teaup arrives. "For myself, well, there is a port nearby, and the Tortoise are often a seagoing folk."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:55 pm 

"Quite fitting, that." Degarashi took a sip of his tea to create a reason for scowling. "I came here to visit my brother and his fiancee. As I understand it, this will be their first time meeting each other since they were paired together."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm 

"Hardly the most auspicious beginning to a relationship, then. Still, good fortune to them."

He knocks back his tea, pours more. It is the last in the pot, which is swiftly replaced.

Noticing the furrowed brows above the mask, Seitouna adds "Is the brew not to your taste, Bayushi-san? I could have a different brought for you, if you prefer; I am sure my friend there has something else."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:13 pm 

Degarashi smiled politely, then shook his head. "Not at all, Kasuga-sama, the tea is fine. I'm quite used to bitter tastes at this juncture of my life." Degarashi met the Tortoise's eyes, wondering if he would catch the undercurrent of his words. "My younger brother is a tad idealistic, but the match is a smart choice for our family."

((See Story hooks))

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 pm 

"Ah," comes the reply, because the Kasuga does understand the undercurrent.

"So," he says, making to change the topic, "what does such a man do to sweeten his days?"

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:31 pm 

"Whatever happens to strike his fancy. Being perpetually out of sight and out of mind allows one a great many choices to pass the time. I'm certain one such as yourself could appreciate such a thing." Degarashi paused, drumming his fingers together wisely. "It seems passage in and out of the city might come at a premium cost quite soon, wouldn't you agree?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:33 pm 

Ah. Not a surprise, there thinks the Tortoise.

"A person might expect so, Bayushi-san. Though if things come to a fight, I cannot think that there would be samurai here who would choose to flee, since this is a defensible place.

"After all," he adds, knowing that other ears can hear and other mouths can carry tales, "the Lion would certainly defend their holdings and those within them. Honor would require no less of them, as all are aware."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:46 pm 

Degarashi affected a nod, implying wholehearted agreement with the Tortoise. "Oh yes, no samurai would dare flee in a time of need, but..." Degarashi lowered his voice. "There are other concerns with such barricades. Noncombatants seeking to leave, refugees seeking shelter. Scouts desiring to keep afield of the city. And every armor has its chinks. It seems a clever samurai would be sure to know where those weak points are."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:53 pm 

"I am not one skilled with a sword, certainly, but those I've heard who are seem to think that armor has to be tested to find such weaknesses. And a person might do well who had begun to make such tests, perhaps, serving either to make armor better or to help the one who wears it move more freely."

He eats a bite, sips, adds "I am also told that smiths will often work at night, the darkness showing the subtle changes they need to see that the light of day often obscures."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:07 pm 

"Indeed. The sparks often obscure the weakness, but the cracks will glow in the night and reveal themselves in earnest." Degarashi took a sip of tea, and a small bite of rice. "I do find myself concerned for some of my fellow samurai. They seek to stretch their pincers into the night, seeking the smith's hammer before it falls. But I fear they may find their armor too tightly secured, and be forced to fight and die outside it rather than safely within."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 pm 

Seitouna nods.

"It is always a concern, going past what a shell can cover," he says, shifting metaphors slightly. "And there is no easy answer. But it may be that where one moves ahead, another can watch and help keep open such places as need the flexibility to work best."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 pm 

"Mm, such an ally would always be welcomed in these dark times. And, where possible, rewarded." Degarashi's eyes sparkled, as they often did when he spoke in such ways. "Isn't it strange, Kasuga-sama, how many different ways allies value each other? Affection, friendship, defense... the valued benefits seem as varied as those that hold them."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 pm 

Seitouna holds his tea.

"Indeed it is. And favors owed are always valued, in my experience."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:11 pm 

"Ah yes, favors. A specialty of those in my clan, is it not? Certainly if one wished a favor I, or another of my fellows, would be quite willing to oblige."