It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 pm

Post subject: Re: [Day 2, Late Morning - Governor's Office] The Five Measu
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm 

Mogami gives a bow.

"I would never do anything less than you command, Shimizu-sama, it is simply my duty to advise you as tactician. One day if our Champion deems it, I will take my fathers place as one of his generals, but for now I am just a student of it."

Not rising from her bow, she asks cautiously

"Perhaps my lord would have me watch the gates and close them after an appropriate time?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pm 

He nods. "Done."

After a moment: "Here, in this place, at this time, let us dispense with as much formality as we can bear. Your words do you credit, but I do not wish for false humility, or to waste time on legitimate humility." He holds up a hand. "This is not a slight against what you've said. I am a simple man, and these are trying times. My nature is not that of the court. Here, among honored company, I will be served by focusing on the points and not on decorum."

[GM Note: Obviously you can't close the gates before EE, as that's when they are closed as per here: styles/polyethylene/imageset/icon_post_target.png]

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:43 pm 

Mogami rises from her bow.

"Very well. The next matter is that of our fighting forces and those who we find now inside our walls. I have met with or observed nearly all the leadership of those who now stay within this city."

She looks to her paper.

"Of the Crane, I have accounted for three. All bushi, a Kakita, Daidoji, and Doji. The Doji, named Koushi, is the highest in status among them, and when speaking with him he showed willingness to commit his forces under your direction."

"Of the Crab, there are six. Three Yasuki, Two Hida, and a Hiruma. The Hiruma named Yoichi leads them. He informed me that he and another are excellent scouts, he has a few bushi, and then the remainder are courtiers excelling in logistics."

"Of the Dragon, I am unsure. I noted many of Togashi's order, but I only spoke with Agasha Poemu. She stated she is the highest in status among the Dragon, but that each Dragon has their own free will. I could not determind where they stand or what their skills are."

"Of our own clan, we have had an influx of both courtier and bushi, and as you are well aware, the Kitsu Daimyo also now takes residence in our halls. If Shimizu-sama was not aware, she carries with her the nemurai known as the Mirror of Sorrow. I will speak more on this later.

"Of the Phoenix I have only met one, the esteemed Asako Kashiwagi. He is a famed hero and excellent Shugenja. His disposition seemed to want to do something, but etiquette, honor, and proper deference to the Lion of the city held his tongue from saying speaking anything of his clans forces or capabilities.

"The Scorpion seem to be high in trained Actors, and besides the Shoshuro Daimyo who I confirmed is now here, they are led by a Magistrate who is betrothed to our own Matsu Kōgyoku. Between our two clans alliance and his own personal connection, I believe they are willing to assist however they can, but I impress the words of Akodo-no-Kami...'Whether in court or on the battlefield, the Scorpion rarely attack in an expected manner.'

"Of the Unicorn, there is one, Moto Baatar, who is quite vocal about wishing to fight. I believe he also has a steed stabled here and boasts both scouting and fighting capability."

"Of the Minor Clans, I have met a Magistrate of the Ryuuta and a Mantis. I know little of any of their strengths, though it would be my recommendation to allow Ryuuta to accompany our own Magistrates to keep peace inside the city."

"We have one member of the Seppun, Princess Horonigai. I have not spoken with her, but I would recommend caution, as all the Seppun Guards at Morikage Toshi turned on the Emperor. I do not know where her loyalties lie.

"Finally, there are three Naga within our walls, their leader calls himself The Shakanar. All of his people were bound to the Emperor's Winter Court, so I believe their talents lie in words and not martial skill."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:54 pm 

"That seems a comprehensive list. We may have to call on many of them before this is over."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:10 pm 

"Indeed. Many seem willing and eager, and even have presumed to take initiative into their own hands without first receiving a request from you. "

She pulls out another paper and sets it in front of Kendo.

"Finally, we should discuss our battle plans. After speaking with the Kitsu Daimyo, I now know that the enemy has no cavalry at all. Additionally, they are bloodthirsty and battle-mad. They are not going to try to starve us out, or siege us with traditional weaponry. The snows and ice disallow that anyway."

She points to the crude map drawn on the paper.

"They are going to assault our Eastern gate without relenting. They will not break either, and only once we are defeated or they are will the battle be over. The Western gate however will be relatively unassailed. Kitsu-dono believes them to be single minded and would not take the time or effort to encircle the city."

"I suggest once we close the gates to reinforce the Eastern gate with any spare lumber and iron we have. We should rotate guards and those on the wall in shifts to prevent the cold from sapping their strength too much, I believe our two Ranking Magistrates should be kept on law enforcement duties instead of added to the fighting force, especially with the influx of refugees."

"Because the enemy hides as one of us, we may already have been infiltrated. Additional countermeasures to this, we should rotate our gatehouse guards only with those who have served you for a year or longer."

"Kitsu-dono believes we should be prepairing for our tactical withdraw out the western gate, for if the East gate falls she says no one in the city will be left alive. It is most important that we focus on her safety as well, for the Mirror of Sorrows can rip a hole directly to Toshigoku and give the enemy reinforcements should it be captured."

"For the tactical withdraw, I believe going out the western gate and heading to the port to board any available ships would be our best chance of ensuring the safety of those in the city. Since the enemy is not likely to be at the West gate, we can use it for a time to send out messengers, as well as scouts. "

"When the battle begins proper, we should remember that Akodo-no-Kami says to be the hammer, and make our enemy the anvil, so once our archers and guards on the walls have fought well enough, a vanguard of mounted and footmen should launch from the West gate and take the enemy from the flank. For any of our scouting missions, I recommend Matsu Tani, as a Nikutai of the First Matsu, an ex legionnaire, and a veteran of the wars in against the Naga, she has excellent experience in this manner. "

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:53 pm 

The governor listens silently, mostly not reacting to Mogami's words. When she finishes, he waits for a time before replying.

"Yesterday, Matsu Erina-san came to me asking to do something that seemed beyond the limits of what was possible given the time we have available to us, but I recognize that her sense of duty was in the right place.

"Today, you come to me having completed plans for many aspects of our situation, having conducted conversations with many to prepare for this. You do not seem to be beyond the limits of what is possible, but possibly beyond your own limits. I know you have shown great promise, but you are not yet elevated to a Gunso, though you have been given some chances above and beyond your peers to show your promise.

"So I ask of you, what makes your advice here better than the advice I'm getting from those who have been in the city this whole time and have had leadership positions for longer, and over more troops?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:13 pm 

"I do not presume to know better than those above me, Shimizu-sama. Certainly heaven has seen fit to put them in their positions for a reason. My guidance is merely a combination of my observations, the teachings of Akodo-no-Kami, and the instruction I have received at the Akodo War College."

Her voice is calm and level, unconfrontational.

"I believe that if any of my superiors were to tell me something that conflict with the advice I have given, it must mean that they are more learned than I and that there is a wisdom they possess that I do not."

"However, my qualifications, expertise, and experience in these matters is greater than most Samurai of my own age and position. I have been groomed since I was old enough to walk for commander. My father has been a General for many seasons, and it is his wish should our lord be willing, for me to replace him some day when he retires. I have been given tasks of command already, and have proven my abilities through being one of the best students my sensei has seen in his lifetime instructing."

"Furthermore, I have been entrusted to command and lead in a small scale through being assigned my own two personal budoka, and the results of my leadership with them have been praised as excellent, if sometimes unconventional."

"Finally, I was selected to attend the Emperor's winter court this year to be an example of the finest our clan has to offer when it comes to students of Akodo-no-Kami's instruction."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 am 

"Hm. Duly noted."

He lets that sit for a moment, then continues. "I am glad that you have been so successful in your pursuit of duty. It seems you have a bright future."

The governor glances at Matsu Erina with a raised eyebrow, as if to say 'nothing to say?'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 am 

Erina feel the eyes of the governor on her.

A test, perhaps?

A more cunning samurai, or courtier might have known exactly what to say, but Erina was not that. All she had was the truth, as best she could understand it.

"I speak with no more authority than Matsu Mogami-san, Shimizu-dono, thus why my own request had been on a smaller scale. That said, the essence of her tactics seems sound enough...though it is wise to remember caution that the enemy rarely does exactly as you wish. Rather than set an exact plan, it is often best to prepare advantages and shift them best as possible."

"Reinforcing our defenses at the expected point of first contact is a textbook maneuver. While anything is possible, I would suspect that the others who you mentioned have taken the position for longer over more soldiers would have few objections. And, as Mogami-san mentioned, completely committing to a defensive position leaves us entirely reactive and leaves a worst case scenario should, ancestors help us, the worst occurs and the city is overrun. Organizing a vanguard to capitalize on an enemy's weak position is sound doctrine, though if I am permitted to make one adjustment, I might recommend that scouts be sent out with the vanguard. The enemy still may have surprises, and as much warning as possible may save the vanguard if a trap is sprung."

"But, as self-apparent as it is to say, we are both unfamiliar to you, and we unfamiliar with the city and without the authority to command as others. We could hardly fault your decision to choose more familiar and practiced commanders, though I do hold a similar high esteem of Matsu Tani-sama as a veteran commander. For whatever my personal assessment is worth, I would follow her into battle in a heartbeat."

Erina bows again. "My humble opinion, Governor-dono."

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 am 

Mogami nods in agreement at her fellow Matsu's words and then looks to the Governor to hear his response.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:43 am 

"I shall take your words under advisement. Many ideas are not so different than those raised by other council in other ways."

He looks at Mogami closely and sits in the silence. "You have been granted some authority over the closing of the gates, within reason. It seems that perhaps you could also take a section of the wall as your station. My understanding is you're good with a bow?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:45 am 

Mogami nods.

"I have yet to meet someone who can best me."

She says mater of factly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 am 

"That is good. Perhaps you can spend some time helping train some new recruits to help defend the wall?"

The governor is a simply man, relatively speaking, and it seems you may have overwhelmed him somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:52 am 

Mogami nods.

"I have been teaching my own budoka, teaching more would not be difficult in the least, Shimizu-sama."

She looks back down at all of her notes and maps and other tactical documents and then up to him.

"I have given you all I have thought you would like to know from my counsel, now I ask what is it you require of your vassal? I am yours to command Shimizu-sama. Say it, and it will be done."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:16 am 

"Go, learn what you can about the refugees. If you are to close the gate, you must do it at the right time."

He looks squarely at Mogami. "You must not shut it too soon... nor too late." He leans in a bit closer. "That is being a leader."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 am 

"Hai."

She looks stoic and determined at the governor.

"After that, who do you wish me to train and what section of the wall would you have us watch?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:22 am 

"The east gate, unless the situation changes. Practice with those there that have bows."

His expression softens somewhat. "Your mistakes are also my own, but giving you this responsibility. Go with a heavy heart but filled with purpose."

He turns to Erina.

"A moment, please."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:33 am 

Mogami nods and bows, and unless she is stopped, takes that as her queue to depart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:34 am 

Erina pauses, unsure, when the governor asks her to stay.

Did I offend him?

She was never the best at that courtier stuff, and negotiations. She always seemed to come off a little... smarmy? Insincere?

But if so, she would take the rebuke with grace and deference.

"How may I be of service Skimizu-dono?

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm 

"Why did you come today? I believe you said something about remaining informed?"