It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:05 am

Post subject: Re: Ever watchful, Day 1, Early Evening, Open
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:56 pm 

Matsu Erina wrote:
She strides toward the governor before going to her knees, bowing with as much decorum she can muster.

"Governor-dono, I hope you are well. May I entreat you for a moment of your time?"

"Certainly, Matsu-san. You seem determined, is everything alright?" He glances out over the wall. "Besides the obvious, that is."

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 pm 

"Well, yes." Erina takes a short breath. "If I seem hesitant, it is because I am aware of my station as I address you."

"While I do not wish to speak for others, I, along with others have expressed a desire to form a scouting group to combat the present threat. However, I understand that resources are limited. I first request that you allow us to form a scout group to stay alert for any more refugees and any incoming enemy forces."

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:45 pm 

Matsu Erina wrote:
"Well, yes." Erina takes a short breath. "If I seem hesitant, it is because I am aware of my station as I address you."

"While I do not wish to speak for others, I, along with others have expressed a desire to form a scouting group to combat the present threat. However, I understand that resources are limited. I first request that you allow us to form a scout group to stay alert for any more refugees and any incoming enemy forces."

The governor waves his hand in the direction of the Scorpion. "I have already met two this night that are scouting on their own. I could take that as undermining my authority or questioning my competence, but I do not. They merely wish to help."

He scratches his chin for a moment before continuing. "It is different with the Lion, though, as we may need them in more strict organization in order to be successful here. Where a lone Scorpion or Crab may offer assistance, it will ultimately be Lion tactics and Lion blades that will win or lose the day. Risking any on frivolous activities would be a detriment."

He tilts his head slightly to one side. "We have some scouting parties out, but they are familiar with this city and the landscape. Perhaps one that will see things with fresh eyes will be helpful. IF it doesn't range too far afield and just become another risk to protect."

He pauses and waves his hand as if clearing the air. "I have been pondering much, and my earlier companions gave me more to think about. The short answer is yes, you have my permission to scout, but not my permission to go far or take any risks."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:04 pm 

Erina bows again. "It is exactly as you say Shimizu-dono: individuals straying off may but themselves in danger more than offer a benefit and going off on my own without your approval and guidance may steal from where it is truly needed. It is along those lines that I offer my second request: Please allow us to levy any horses not currently in use by city defenders, including any belonging to the heimin. From that, I hope to organize and train a group of scout calvary"

Erina looks back at Bataar. "I am confident in my abilities to train up horses to the dangers and stresses that they may face. May I introduce Moto Bataar, of the Unicorn Clan. We have been discussing how to possibly use his expertise, and I hope that he can train whoever we are able to gather. It is through this that I hope to avoid, as youstated, "frivolous activities""

Erina repeats the bow. "I know that many of our clan will soon be presenting their own views of how to prepare. By all means, those who speak with great authority should be given their due. I humbly request that you consider my suggestion as a way to augment what they bring, not to diminish from it."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm 

He watches her while she speaks, and then turns to the Unicorn.

"Moto-san."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:35 pm 

Having dismounted prior to approaching the governor, the Moto bowed low.

"Lord Shimizu," Baatar said. "The Unicorn have a lot of experience with scouting and cavalry tactics. If I can help you and Matsu-san in some way, I'd be glad to."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 pm 

Norikami approached again. He didn't necessarily feel his expertise would be welcome, even by an allied clan, but as a soldier himself he felt it would be in his clan's interest to have someone along on this getting started.

He didn't barge in and interrupt, however.

When Allowed: Armor, No-Dachi, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:02 pm 

Kendo acknowledges the arrival of the Scorpion with a small inclination of his head.

"Matsu-san, your heart is in the right place, but given the flow of refugees, I'm not sure we have time for any training." He sounds tired as he continues. "It seems more prudent to try to find capable riders, have Moto-san offer advice on scouting, and go from there. Since you would not be forward scouts, but rather a redundancy to help confirm the safety of the city, I think this would be sufficient."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:27 pm 

"Is anything known yet about their movements or numbers at all?" Baatar interjected. "It seems like there could easily be an army hot on the heels of the refugees that arrived today...."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 pm 

"That is a fair judgement Governor-dono. Do you object if I pursue the goal in the long term while I organize a more seasoned group to defend against the more immediate concern?"

Erina bows again, hoping that the motion hides her disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 pm 

Moto Baatar wrote:
"Is anything known yet about their movements or numbers at all?" Baatar interjected. "It seems like there could easily be an army hot on the heels of the refugees that arrived today...."

Norikami shook his head, speaking up finally.

"I doubt there would be, Moto-san. As soon as refugees started arriving, the Lion would send riders to comb the area seeking stragglers, they'd have spotted any marching force by now, and the roads being frozen still would be too much challenge for a force large enough to threaten the city anyway."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 pm 

Matsu Erina wrote:
"That is a fair judgement Governor-dono. Do you object if I pursue the goal in the long term while I organize a more seasoned group to defend against the more immediate concern?"

Erina bows again, hoping that the motion hides her disappointment.

"I do not. And if you manage to train some well, we can certainly make use of them." He smiles slightly, gently, in her direction.

Bayushi Norikami wrote:
Moto Baatar wrote:

Norikami shook his head, speaking up finally.

"I doubt there would be, Moto-san. As soon as refugees started arriving, the Lion would send riders to comb the area seeking stragglers, they'd have spotted any marching force by now, and the roads being frozen still would be too much challenge for a force large enough to threaten the city anyway."

"Bayushi-san is correct. We have seen no sign of an army yet. There are more refugees that have been spotted, and I expect more that have not. Tomorrow will bring us more information, I'm sure."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 pm 

"If I may, lord governor," Tsukimi raised a hand, while the other was holding onto the edges of her cowl to keep the marked side of her face obscured. "Myself, and my kin, will offer what help we can. The matter of scouting has been brought up, but is there anything else we can do for the time being, to prepare for what may come? Clearing the snow to make movement easier for your soldiers, maybe?"

There was that Phoenix hero here after all who was reputed to be a great fire shugenja and she herself had talents with fire too that could help, or at least that's what Tsukimi thought.

"If you have suggestions, I'd be honored to bring them up with my kin later."

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 am 

"It is appreciated. I hesitate to act hastily, given that so much remains unknown. Perhaps tomorrow shall shed new light, and then I will make a request of you. I will remember your kind offer." He bows his head to her.

"And I shall remember all who are here, looking to take action on this night for the safety of us all."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:33 am 

Haltingly, a man approaches the gates. He wears Phoenix mon and colors, and bears a staff taller than he is. And, as he approaches, it is clear that the staff is no ostentation, but a necessity, as coughs occasionally wrack his form.

He looks around, as he wishes to do this properly. This is a Lion city, and guards would be nearby, would they not?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:51 am 

Isawa Hachi wrote:
Haltingly, a man approaches the gates. He wears Phoenix mon and colors, and bears a staff taller than he is. And, as he approaches, it is clear that the staff is no ostentation, but a necessity, as coughs occasionally wrack his form.

He looks around, as he wishes to do this properly. This is a Lion city, and guards would be nearby, would they not?

Eh? What's that, a zombie?

Norikami leaned over the wall, signaling the others with him.

"Hoi, who goes there in the dark?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:24 am 

"Hachi, of the Isawa, guest this past winter of the hospitality of the Lion here."