It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:38 pm

Post subject: Re: Warming the bones [D1, LA]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:36 am 

Hachi thinks about this. "Perhaps. But, would you then, if wishing to call upon the Earth, have to bury yourself to the neck while unclothed?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm 

"Water is malleable. It flows, adapts, envelops, explores..." She held up a hand, smiling as droplets of water flowed from her fingers, over her palm and down her wrist. "It clings and interacts with you in an intimate way."

"The air kami are similar, but I feel they are happier when they can move things about and play. I wouldn't want to deprive them of billowing sleeves and dangling netsuke. Fire wants to consume and it's probably for the best to feed them in other ways. As for the earth, I can't imagine they'd be pleased to be disturbed to dig that hole."

"I am biased, however." she shrugged. "I'm much more familiar with water."

Phoenix Clan ° Shugenja ° Diminished Water Tensai ° Togashi Trained ° Tattooed ° Healer ° Light Sleeper ° Dream Hunter ° Lunatic ° Married ° Mother ° Bee Queen ° Sake Overseer ° Rainmaker ° Experienced
Status 1.0 | Glory 3.0 | Honor: What's Expected

Carries/wears: Scroll satchel, tanto, wakizashi, jade, cricket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:14 pm 

Aya revised her opinion about Miwako at least. Her words were as warming as the water.

"Really well put, Miwako-san." she agrees, slightly taken with the tone.

"Hmm, I wonder why more studies on the element of water aren't undertaken in onsen? Could it be the lack of notes?"

Theme Song

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm 

"That is a good question." she mused. "Perhaps there is a concern that onsen can be distracting at times."

Phoenix Clan ° Shugenja ° Diminished Water Tensai ° Togashi Trained ° Tattooed ° Healer ° Light Sleeper ° Dream Hunter ° Lunatic ° Married ° Mother ° Bee Queen ° Sake Overseer ° Rainmaker ° Experienced

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:01 am 

"I would think most are more interested in relaxing, than dragging a scribe in to put down their thoughts, as well."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:44 am 

Aya shrugs.

"That's not really the point, Hachi-san. The kami are everywhere. Surely there is value to learning about the difference between the water kami of the ocean and the water kami of the river, or the earth kami of the mountains compared to the earth kami of the foothills." she counters.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:08 am 

"That is a point. Though, from my own investigations, there is not a large amount of difference between different Earth kami, no matter where they are from. But, I have not studied the other kami to nearly the same extent, and it would not surprise me if they are all different."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:42 am 

"There is a difference between the water kami here." She scooped up some water to let it run down her arm again. "And, the water kami outside. The influence of the fire kami, or the lack of such, definitely has an effect."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 am 

Aya considers that.

"That would make sense. The elemental kami interact with each other in different ways, and one would expect that the interactions leave them changed, just as people change others. Some changes would be easier to note that others. The earthy salt trapped with the water kami of the ocean versus the the water kami of a fresh spring brook. One gives life, the other promises it, but in fact takes it away."

She sighed a bit.. It....had been awhile since she had had a really intellectual conversation about the nature of the kami. Not since her gempukku really. Most everyone around her just saw it as a useful trick she could do, and while she still made the offerings, and respected their power, Aya hadn't really thought about them deeply in awhile.

"Perhaps the earth kami are different, but the change is so gradual it would take lifetimes to notice. I wonder about the fire kami. Their hunger is always present, but I wonder if they are changed by what they consume."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 am 

"An interesting thought. It would be interesting to learn, wouldn't it? Perhaps we can gather again and try that, in a few days. For now, I fear I am unskilled enough with Fire to do so well."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 am 

"That would be interesting. An Agasha could probably answer." she suggested. "But, they do seem to act differently, depending on what they are offered."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:29 am 

Aya frowned a bit at Hachi's suggestion.

"While I'm relatively adept with the fire kami, Hachi-san, I'm not sure of the wisdom using our prayers to the kami to answer questions of such a theoretical and esoteric nature given the underlying reality of our current situation" she says with just a hint of chiding.

She shakes her head.

"If an attack comes, I would rather answer the attackers questions with a, shall we say, more direct application of mystical knowledge."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:35 am 

Hachi nods at that. "True. But, if we know that offering a resin soaked branch of fir produces more enthusiasm from the Fire kami, rather than a dry one of oak, or vice versa, wouldn't it be better to find out?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 am 

"How about this? Once we defeat whatever threats may be coming, we'll celebrate with a great fire." Miwako offered.