It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:41 pm

Post subject: Re: Not Making That Mistake Again [D1 EE]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:34 am 

"I'd say give it a try... but I haven't met the Yogo myself yet. May end up that your concern is spot on, but I certainly won't know until I am face to face."

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:45 am 

Sukekage smiles once more. "I'll trust the magistrate's reading of her quality. How did that appointment get arranged, anyway? Pardon me for saying so, but at our last meeting I wouldn't have taken you for the...er, the law-enforcing type..."

"It is not in my nature to be a villain, and one must remain true to one's nature."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:12 am 

"I wasn't at that point, but I was one for investigation. My skill for that was identified shortly after joining the Piranha and I was made a yoriki. I took to the role quite well, as it gave me the opportunity to handle issues among those of the lower ranks of the celestial hierarchy in an official capacity. A little under a year later, with a non-stop devotion to my work, I was promoted in an audience with Ryuuta-dono himself," he explained.

"It was a lot of hard work, devotion to the new clan, and self improvement that led to me earning the position. A former Crane magistrate that had married into the Piranha after our clan's founding acted as a mentor, teaching me about the duties of a magistrate over the period I was his yoriki."

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:51 am 

Sukekage seems impressed by the tale.

"A very successful few years for you, then," he says. "I imagine that put you in a position to interact with the naga, as well. Odd creatures, I've heard, but wise in a way few men are."

"It is not in my nature to be a villain, and one must remain true to one's nature."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am 

"Quite a bit. I've learned a fair amount of their culture and laws, understand their language, and have befriended a few of their number. They are not so different in a few ways, yet completely alien in others. It's an amazing opportunity to get to learn so much about such an old culture."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:51 am 

"It would be interesting to learn their take on the current situation," muses Sukekage. "I heard one of them spoke today in court, supporting the proper succession, but I'm afraid I was rather too late to hear it. Tending to the Shosuro daimyo's needs took rather longer than I'd initially expected."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm 

"Well, if they are easily able to determine their nature and understand that they wish only to kill, it would make sense they would not wish to support an army of spirits invading the empire. It is a part of their duty to protect against such things if the stories are to be believed."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 pm 

"Really? Well, I suppose that would be why their cities are in the Shinomen," Sukekage muses. "Tales claim the forest is home to many spirits, not all of a benign nature."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 pm 

"Living within hasn't revealed any great population of spirits or monsters, other than the fact that some still consider Naga to be monsters. In a fashion, I suppose they are so different that it makes sense some would believe that. In my experience though, I've heard no more stories of spirits and monsters from those who live within the Shinomen than those that live outside of it. I suspect it's simply more to do with the Yogo's somewhat standoffish nature or the sensitivity and danger inherent in their duty. The separation likely provides important privacy that allows them to go about their duties in a way that doesn't insult the sensibilities of those not familiar with such topics of slaying monsters." His gaze at the city was a bit contemplative.

"I think that may be one of the significant differences between the Empire and the Naga. I feel like they consider their primary duty to defend the world against the evils of the south and their culture is shaped by that. Where as for the Empire, our culture instead shapes the way we perform the duties set before us by the heavens we model ourselves after."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:05 pm 

"Well, their outlook, then, seems not unlike that of many Crab samurai I've met. Defending against that which lies beyond their wall is a task they claim supercedes all others," Sukekage notes. "One would expect them to demand a more front-line position in dealings with the naga...assuming they are not among those who consider them monsters."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:16 am 

"I would say their outlook is very similar, but I think that it is different on a fundamental level. For instance, a large part of how they determine social standing among their number is based on their activities against that evil. In a very real and somewhat calculable way. If my understanding is correct, if one were skilled enough to survive it and they spent the whole of their life doing nothing but ending threats from that source, they could potentially earn a position of leadership based entirely on such an activity in entirety. While the Crab, at their heart, would likely reward such exemplary service in the form of promotions to ensure that those most fervent in their task are at the head of Crab forces, they still cleave to Imperial traditions of familial inheritance. Simply one of the differences at the core of our cultures."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:11 am 

"Hmm...one might call it a 'meritocracy', I suppose - power is granted to those who display the ability to wield it effectively. I can see the logic behind it, I think, for a culture such as theirs. Command ability in our culture demonstrably follows familial descent from the Kami, but the naga lack that. They would have to judge each individual's capability separately, without guidance."

Sukekage pauses, shaking his head.

"It sounds like a difficult way to live."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:21 am 

"Our way is likely similarly difficult for them. Having a shared ancestral memory through the Akasha likely makes them feel far more like equals at the most basic level. But I wouldn't say they make those judgements without guidance for that precise reason. They have the guidance of past incarnations of their own souls. The complexity of their understanding of each other likely makes it more reasonable to simplify their way of distributing responsibilities." He always did enjoy trying to understand the differences in their cultures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am 

"Shared memories, active guidance from previous incarnations..."

Sukekage shakes his head again.

"That sounds like a lot to fit in one mind. It's a wonder they're not driven mad by the constant barrage of ancestral voices and flashes of memories from other lives, although I would imagine this 'Akasha' helps them control that."

The two round a corner, and Sukekage stops. "Ah, we've reached my chambers, which is where I started. Well, it was certainly good catching up with you Kin-sa...er, Ryuuta-sama, and I'm sure we'll have opportunity to work together in the near future. If you'll excuse me..."

/exits into his room, unless stopped.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 am 

"Of course. And as I said earlier, Kin is fine. You may only just be getting to know me as a Piranha, but I am still the same man and you have done quite a lot for me in my life."

The magistrate offers a respectful bow, allowing the Scorpion to get some rest before continuing his wandering.