It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Contemplating the Garden [D1, EA]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:29 pm 

In response to Chihaya's flash of emotion, Degarashi responded with mirth, the corners of his lips turning up in a brief smile. "You know, you're quite striking in those moments of brutal honesty, Suzume-sama."

He watched her attempt to capture the bird, watching it fly away to a safe distance, pointedly ignoring Degarashi on its way past. "You express much of what you've learned with that display. You observe, you focus, and then you strike. But the bird escapes despite your speed. It doesn't trust you, so it flees." He nodded his head to where the bird had alighted on a snow laden branch. "The sparrow keeps its distance, and seeks safety. Were it in your grasp, you could harm it easily, but you could also choose to aid it, perhaps protect it from the cold. From where you stand now, though, you could only hope to do it harm, or else ignore it altogether."

Degarashi winced a moment, as if in pain, and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I seem to have drifted back into the guise of the Dragon somehow."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 pm 

She laughed at his compliment, and then nodded faintly. "Yes, but it is not the worst guise to wear - at least it lets you use that wit of yours."

"Do you know the First Lesson of the Sparrow, Bayushi-san?"

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:44 pm 

"Would that the act of speaking as a Dragon not cause the same pain as speaking to one."

Degarashi shook his head slowly. "No, Suzume-sama, I am not familiar with the First Lesson of the Sparrow. Would you enlighten me?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:04 pm 

"Ah well, it is an acquired skill, communing with the Dragon."

She shrugged, and then added, "It is a core teaching of the Suzume school, but it is no secret."

Again brushing her fingers along the bush, she said, softly, 'This little bird showed it to you - there are two sparrow, sitting in a bush. They both hear a noise."

With a faint smile, she continued, "Both feel it must be a cat, but only one takes flight. The other stops to look."

Tucking her hands back into her sleeves, he might've seen a sparrow feather between her fingers, as if she had been closer to her target than it first appeared... or perhaps it was just a trick of the light.

"Only one Sparrow survives - and that is the one which listened to instinct, to its haragei. The First lesson is simple - hone your instincts so that whenever the time comes, you respond without hesitation."

Her lips twitched into a lopsided grin. "It is a lesson so simple most clans choose not to even teach it... yet many forget also to learn it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:14 pm 

"A worthwhile lesson for all. It's a true shame it isn't taught more openly. And a testament to the Suzume as well: simple, yet imminently powerful."

Degarashi watches Chihaya carefully. "If I may ask, what do Suzume-sama's instincts tell her about this one?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:20 pm 

Chihaya contemplated that.

After an uncomfortably long silence, she finally said, "That he is not so dull, so bland, as he wishes himself to appear."

A faint shrug. "You've told yourself that you are a certain way, one only wonders if you yourself believe it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 pm 

"Perhaps it is less that I wish to appear bland, and more that I wish to be seen beyond what others have decided is bland. Perhaps I act as I do now out of a wish to be seen, heard, and remembered as... something, whatever form that memory may take.

He smiled again, and the was something unreadable about it, not because Degarashi was hiding his intent, so much as he didn't quite understand his intent himself. "Perhaps that is what brought me here, under Suzume-sama's piercing gaze, and kept me here after meeting it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:35 pm 

Isawa Hachi wrote:
Togashi Mai wrote:
"Company is always good. For now, I try to keep exercising, to keep myself in as good a shape as I can. The healers tell me, even if it is slow, it is better to keep moving."

"Then let me not hold you back any longer with mere chatter," she said with the hint of a smile. "How is it you aim to exercise this day, Isawa-sama?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:51 pm 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
"Perhaps it is less that I wish to appear bland, and more that I wish to be seen beyond what others have decided is bland. Perhaps I act as I do now out of a wish to be seen, heard, and remembered as... something, whatever form that memory may take.

He smiled again, and the was something unreadable about it, not because Degarashi was hiding his intent, so much as he didn't quite understand his intent himself. "Perhaps that is what brought me here, under Suzume-sama's piercing gaze, and kept me here after meeting it."

"I wouldn't call it piercing, but we Suzume have a tendency to observe... and a tendency to comment."

With a chuckle, she shrugged. "You may not visibly stand out, but as someone who does... it isn't all it is cracked up to be - and you do, at least, have a quick wit. Sometimes one must take the lot they are given, not the lot they desire."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 am 

Degarashi glanced off into the distance with an intensity that could have sent chills down Yukinaga's spine. "Yes, it is not proper to desire after what another has, and I am not without my own talents. Perhaps I will put on that performance after all, play to my strengths. I've yet to attempt a performance since attending my schooling." He met Chihaya's gaze with his own. "If I do, would you attend?" He smiled dryly. "A performer can never have enough blunt criticism of his so called talents."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 am 

A faint smirk.

"Provided I haven't been dragged into some horrible mayhem, I would enjoy it."

Offering a small shrug, she added "Yet I have a bad habit of attracting trouble, so invite me at your own risk."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:09 am 

"Worry not, Suzume-sama. If I have to knife a few thugs in an alley just to force you to suffer through my performance, you can count on my assistance." Despite the joking nature, there seemed to be a hint of sincerity to his words.

((Willing to roll sincerity if you feel like scrutinizing him xD))

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:09 am 

She raised an eyebrow, and then chuckled.

"I'm afraid I was on the receiving end of such knives, more than once, but the gesture is... appreciated, all the same."

Shaking her head, she added, "You know there are some who would not take such an offer in stride."

It was a rather... violent.. thing to say, after all.

"For what it is worth, the trouble I attract is usually somewhat more... involved. Events such as those unfolding now. I've taken part in the war with the Naga, the unrest in Ryoko Owari... even my own valley, last I visited, was caught up in mayhem."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:26 am 

"One who speaks without preamble must certainly, on occasion, appreciate the same in others. Though I did not speak in jest. If you find yourself in need, at least consider if I might assist."

Degarashi inclined his head, quite amazed at the Sparrow's list of experiences, and the lasting damages certainly caused by the same. "If I may offer a thought, Suzume-sama? Is it possible that, rather than trouble following you around, you simply have a knack for being where you are needed most?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 am 

Togashi Mai wrote:
"Then let me not hold you back any longer with mere chatter," she said with the hint of a smile. "How is it you aim to exercise this day, Isawa-sama?"

"Simple walking. Proceeding around as much of this garden as I may. Join me?" He offered, as he took a different grip on his staff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
"One who speaks without preamble must certainly, on occasion, appreciate the same in others. Though I did not speak in jest. If you find yourself in need, at least consider if I might assist."

Degarashi inclined his head, quite amazed at the Sparrow's list of experiences, and the lasting damages certainly caused by the same. "If I may offer a thought, Suzume-sama? Is it possible that, rather than trouble following you around, you simply have a knack for being where you are needed most?"

She looked thoughtful. "That is certainly a more positive alternative to being cursed to cause trouble wherever I go."

With a small shrug, she added, "Or perhaps fate simply finds my responses to such events amusing for some reason."

Leaning gently against the railing of the bridge, she concluded, "I will keep your offer in mind, of course, Bayushi-san, but one hopes it won't be necessary for you to need my aid - if so, things would have become dire indeed."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:41 pm 

"I worry that times are already dire, and that we may all soon face a harsh lesson."

Degarashi paused, looking around the gardens as if searching for something. "No? I suppose it was worth the attempt. That bird would be quite helpful at a time like this."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:02 pm 

Chihaya glanced at the tree where the sparrow had gone, but it was long gone, search of more peaceful bushes.

Wise bird.

"Sometimes we must make do - the perfect teacher does not often stay to lavish us with personal attention, I'm afraid."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:08 pm 

"Maybe that's the harsh lesson that created this garden in the first place..."

Degarashi continued to observe the surrounding gardens for a while, before returning his attention to Chihaya. "This has been a surprisingly enlightening walk in the garden thanks to you, Suzume-sama. You've created a pleasant moment in an otherwise disturbing day." He bowed his thanks to her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:17 pm 

"And you as well."

A faint smile.

"It is good to remind oneself of the culture and talent in the Empire which I've fought for - lest I become too caught up in the past and the future, and forget the present."

With a shallow bow of her own, she offered a polite opportunity to close the conversation, if he desired.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next