It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:01 am

Post subject: The last few miles (D1, Early Afternoon, open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 am 

Agasha Manami and her yojimbo trudged into Toshi no Omoidoso in what might have been the best weather they'd seen since the exodus from Morikage Toshi. But the young Dragon's mood and energy level resembled much rougher weather, and any semblance of an on had disappeared miles ago. Now she wore the scowl of a shugenja who had been beseeching the kami, hour after hour, to protect herself and others from bloodthirsty spirits.

Just a couple yards from the gate, Manami stopped to shake out her hair and straighten her robes and obi. I am not done. I'm walking in here with pride, and I'm going back out after those monsters right away...

[Open thread!]

Yojimbo: Mirumoto Takeshi no Kouken

Post subject: Re: The last few miles (D1, Early Afternoon, open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:01 am 

Snow wasn't common in Mantis lands, and Osamu found he had some fondness for it. So much in fact he was considering nudging the weather to bring down more of the substance. Though the pair about to enter the gate would likely be more then a little displeased if they learned his thoughts.

Shifting from his position leaning against the walls of the city, he moved in her direction. "Need any aid, Agasha-sama?"

Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 2.0 | Honor: What is Expected

Carries: Robes, Scroll Satchel, Wakizahi, chopsticks, odd and ends

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:14 pm 

Manami feels some immediate relief to encounter a Mantis. With another toss of her mussed hair, the young Dragon stepped toward the Mantis with tiniest bounce in her tired steps.

"Mantis-san, you are most well met today." Manami bows a bit more than needed for an equal. "This one is Agasha Manami, proud student of the Serene Wave on Shima no Kinu." She smiles after bowing, though her face still shows tiredness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:15 pm 

The bow is returned, though the name of the school is a bit of a suprise. Not many Dragons made it all the way to Mantis lands after all, somethign about not being the best sailors when you lived in the mountains. "A pleasure to make your acquaitance Agasha-san." He offered hsi lips twitching into a approximation of a smile. "I'm Osamu, priest of the Mantis, and it seems we share somethign in common as we both attended the same School." Though from the look of it he had likely graduated before she arrived.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:16 am 

"I am honored to meet you, Osamu-san, and further honored to share experience at such a great school. It is far from my home but very close to my heart." The young Dragon's smile is almost infectious now, and the miles of traveling on snowy roads seem a distant memory.

Her yojimbo looks on, bemused, from a distance appropriate to his social position and role.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:36 am 

Smiling was not one of Osamu's strong points, but he gave a good approximation of one as Manami replied. "Its rare to see someone outside my clan that attended my school."

"It seems like you enjoyed your time there though, which I'm happy to see."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:35 am 

"The water kami find my company much more enjoyable than the earth kami, so to be a student of the sea and storms was both an honor and a relief." Manami's face sours for a moment as she regrets her choice of words. "I mean, I was very glad to honor my school and family in the ways of water and thunder."

She moves the conversation along quickly: "It seems you have wintered in Toshi no Omoidoso?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:42 am 

Finding little reason to pursue the line of conversation that had been so quickly dropped, Osamu nodded. "Yes, I have spent most of my livfe on the seas or the the Islands of my clan, so seeing the mainland was a bit of a change of pace you could say." He gestured to the fields around them still covered in snow, though some was fairly well trampled. "It's the first time I've really spent any amount of time around snow, as you know wee don't really see it on the islands."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 pm 

Manami nods, a bit reluctantly. "Hai, and snow can be beautiful." She looks a little wistful, then grimaces. "But it's a terrible impediment to movement. In some ways it helped us keep the spirits at bay, but I'm sure we lost many, samurai and heimin alike, in the snow between here and Morikage Toshi." Manami squeezes her small hands into fists, casting a furious glare back the way they had traveled.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:02 pm 

Something that would of been unnessacary if they hadn't been attacked in the first place. "You're right about that, I have found it's more then a little frustrating to get around afirst thing in the morning after a round of snow. It must of been a trial to deal with during your recent ordeal."

He shook hies head. "Anywyas, lets get you into the city, I'm sure you can do with a meal." Likely a bath as well among a few other things, but you didn't say those out loud.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40 pm 

Osamu's words pull Manami back from her memories of the trek.

"Yes, it is time to go inside." Manami nods slightly to her yojimbo and walks alongside her new Mantis friend into the city. "Osamu-san, I'm pleased that you've found some enjoyment in the snow. What other impressions do you have of the Rokugani mainland?" The young woman listens politely but with a recognition that she really is quite tired from her recent experience.

Takeshi scans the horizon once more before following his charge, noting here and there that stragglers continue to trudge toward Toshi no Omoidoso.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:00 pm 

His first impression was that it honestly wasn't as pretty as he thought it would be. It lacked the natural splendor of the islands. It seemed rude to say that out loud though, even if the young woman seemed to have enjoyed her time amongst the waves.

"Well, at times it seems as endless as the oceans, though I would say it's still a ways away from that. Other then that? It feels a bit sedate, if that makes any sense. Though from what I hear that is mostly just the time of year. Many things can't be done in winter here due to the snow."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:44 pm 

Manami chuckles. "In comparison to the boundless freedom of the sea, there is much that can't be done here. The 'sedate' earth is a barrier, unlike the waves, which roll and buck with a life of their own." Manami's steps gain some energy as she recalls the feeling of sailing. "And with strength, I can swim under the waves and back aboard ship as I choose. Even with strength, it takes time -- plans and workers -- to tunnel through the earth. That is not how I would live!" She laughs, then catches herself again. "I mean, I do not believe the kami seek such a life for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:40 am 

He had to bite back a chuckle at the young woman's words, she really wasn't made for courts and the land of the bigger clans it seemed. "Ah, I can understand that myself. While it's not bad visiting places like this, I much prefer the sea. As you said there is a life to it you just don't encounter here."

"Though that might just be my own lack of experience speaking."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 am 

Manami raises an eyebrow at the older shugenja calling himself inexperienced, but she does not question.

"I suppose I am not so experienced in that regard, either. It had been years since I spent significant time on the mainland. I remember the mountains enough to remember... I remember being ready to see more of the empire."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 am 

"Anywhere in particular you are looking to see then?" He asked, as they passed under the gates and into the city proper, he had been here long enough that the guards knew him by sight for the most part, and Manami's slightly disheveled appearance likely told them all the tale they needed about her. "Or are you mostly interested in just broadening your horizon so to speak."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 am 

"Horizons can't get broader than from the bow of a kobune on a clear day," Manami says with a smile. She couldn't remember which Mantis sailor had told her that, but it was on one of her first sails as a novice shugenja and now she couldn't forget it if she wanted to. Even when you're scared, remember the future is bright and wide on the ocean. She probably thought of that one on her own.

"My years with the Mantis have given me much. I don't think I could be done exploring the empire, but I also don't feel so much need. It is..." She stops walking as she searches for the right words. "A gentle wind in the sails and a skilled navigator are all you really need to get where you're going. A fortnight ago, comfortable in Morikage Toshi, that's how I felt. Somewhere between then and now, I lost..." She bites back a growl of frustration. "I can still feel wind in my sails, but I have no idea where the navigator has gone."

Before Osamu can speak, Manami continues: "But enough of that for now. Are there other Mantis in the city? Just a few days ago, I didn't even know this city existed." She puts forth an unconvincing attempt at a laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:34 am 

"There is truth enough in that, and I have to say I miss that feeling after spending so much time here in this city. Part of me is aching to return to the sea already." Though with all the recent happenings it simply wasn't the right time. He fell silent as she talked about her time in Morikage Toshi and in another place he might have offered from gewture of comfort. Instead though he merely dipped his head in nderstanding as she changed the subject.

"From what I have heard a few, though I must admit I have not been the best at tracking down my Cousins and visiting with them." He joined her in her laugh though even his was a bit forced. "As for the later part, I can certainly understand this. Toshi no Omoidoso certainlky isn't the type of place most would visit for a winter. Or even care enough to learn. My Uncle suggested it to me when I asked him for advice on where to visit though, and it seemed interestign enough to visit at least once."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:13 pm 

Manami laughs lightly, but genuinely this time, with a small smile as she looks at the Mantis. "Osamu-san has the freedom to choose his destination and the misfortune to choose one that may soon be under attack. Perhaps a sign that the Fortunes wished you to remain in the Isles?" She asks the question gently, clearly jesting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:09 am 

He snorted at that, hiding a laugh. "You might be onto something there Agasha-San. I never really imagined this would be that situation I'd be in right now."

His own tone turned a bit teasing. "Though I suppose I could say that with your first meeting upon your arrival here being with a Mantis. That you might be due for a visit to the isles too."