It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Day One - Late Afternoon] The Lion of Tomorrow, Today
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:32 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
This of course, was only more confusing. But at least she could deal with this. She bowed politely to him. "Matsu Tani, Nikutai of the First Legion of the First Matsu Army, and daughter of the Antecedent Matsu Daimyo. It is an honor to meet you, and I find no issue with interruption."

There is a brief look of... amusement?... that flashes across his features when she finishes her long name, but it is so brief it may have been simply imagined by any who saw it.

"The honor is mine." He offers a small smile that doesn't touch his eyes, another practiced gesture (that doesn't read as sarcasm or anything of the sort).

"In a battle, there is much interruption. It is good that in your practice you are prepared for it."

Carries/wears: Biwa, Go set, wakizashi

Spiritually Gifted individuals might see a faint outline of three ghostly tails that aren't quite there attached to Somgai.

Run by GM "YOLO" Lucidicide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm 

Tani regards him curiously, but it is not the Matsu's way to question another on their brief hints of emotion. "It is wise to be ready for interruption at all times. Battle is chaotic, never as clean as practice or kata-work. But a conversation with a new acquaintance is hardly a poor interruption." Her lips upturned in a hint of a smile, perhaps to reassure.

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:39 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani regards him curiously, but it is not the Matsu's way to question another on their brief hints of emotion. "It is wise to be ready for interruption at all times. Battle is chaotic, never as clean as practice or kata-work. But a conversation with a new acquaintance is hardly a poor interruption." Her lips upturned in a hint of a smile, perhaps to reassure.

He nods and smiles back at her smile, if you can call that a smile.

"Would you like to continue the conversation over a game of Go? It is another way to battle and practice strategy, which seems appropriate for a dojo. I happen to have a set with me...?"

Spiritually Gifted individuals might see a faint outline of three ghostly tails that aren't quite there attached to Somgai.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:44 pm 

Isawa Somgai wrote:

He nods and smiles back at her smile, if you can call that a smile.

"Would you like to continue the conversation over a game of Go? It is another way to battle and practice strategy, which seems appropriate for a dojo. I happen to have a set with me...?"

"If you would like. I have not had opportunity to practice in many years, so I likely will make a poor opponent, but I would be glad to play all the same."

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:53 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"If you would like. I have not had opportunity to practice in many years, so I likely will make a poor opponent, but I would be glad to play all the same."

"A poor opponent is one that you wouldn't wish to play again after a game. It has nothing to do with the strength of play! A poor game is one where the opponents are unevenly matched, but I'm quite sure you'll be a good opponent at the very least."

He gestures into a corner of the room and moves over, beginning to set up the game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:03 pm 

Tani sets the bokken down again on a place of honor, then moves to sit across from Somgai. She sits in a formal Seiza, neatly folding her hands in her lap. "I shall endeavor to meet your expectations, then." She nodded gently. She almost seemed... a bit demure?

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:13 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani sets the bokken down again on a place of honor, then moves to sit across from Somgai. She sits in a formal Seiza, neatly folding her hands in her lap. "I shall endeavor to meet your expectations, then." She nodded gently. She almost seemed... a bit demure?

The excitement and interest Somgai showed earlier is creeping back into his face.

"My set is not fancy, but I did get it custom made... instead of black stones, they are green. I thought the contrast between black and white too great to mark the opposition of our sides when playing a friendly game."

He puts both bowls of stones down and takes a handful of white stones.

"I always think it's interesting how, to choose sides, you now have to guess if I have an even or odd number of stones in my hand... but you don't tell me. Instead you place on or two green stones on the board to show your guess."

It doesn't seem like he finds it that interesting, but it does seem like he doesn't want you to have to ask what to do if you don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:16 pm 

Tani seemed to appreciate the gentle instruction, taking a single green stone and setting it on the board. "It is interesting indeed. It allows the entire game to be played quietly if such is the wish of it's players." She didn't say that in such a way to mean that it was what she wanted. An actual, simply honest observation.

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:22 pm 

Somgai shifts slightly when she reveals the green stone.

Somgai looks like he really considers the idea for a moment, nodding. "I like that... but I admit it would be hard for me to play a whole game in silence." As he talks he shifts slightly again.

He reveals his stones and slowly counts them out. Odd. There is a small smile on his lips.

"Go ahead and choose your color. Green is a great choice for those who prefer to strike first, while white is better for those who bide their time."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:26 pm 

"I am not a quiet sort myself," she admittedly with a wry smile. "The Matsu are not exactly known for being a quiet sort, neh?" In true Matsu fashion, she takes the green bowl.

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:32 pm 

"I believe you will make a good opponent. We shall leave the quiet to the monks."

He takes the white bowl, ready to play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:03 pm 

She considered the first move with all the care and consideration that one might expect of a Matsu. A stone placed at the center of the board. "Indeed. How long have you been playing?"

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 pm 

"Hmm... about as long as I've been married." As if somehow that gave actual information.

"Starting in the center, I see! The center is a powerful position to hold, but hard to control early. I wish you luck."

Somgai places a stone near one of the corner star points. "Although I may be as brash in temperament as your opening move, my wife has taught me much about not giving into immediate impulses."

His mouth quirks up. "Though I am envious you did so," he says with a sweeping hand gesture toward the center stone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 pm 

Tani considered carefully. And decided the best move was to attack Somgai's piece, placing her stone next to his. "the Matsu teach that the only way is forward. I have found certain... advantages to holding back. But when one is unsure, timidity only advantages the opponent." Her voice seemed calm. Easy. Like her mind had left the troubles outside of their walls for a moment.

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:10 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani considered carefully. And decided the best move was to attack Somgai's piece, placing her stone next to his. "the Matsu teach that the only way is forward. I have found certain... advantages to holding back. But when one is unsure, timidity only advantages the opponent." Her voice seemed calm. Easy. Like her mind had left the troubles outside of their walls for a moment.

Somgai looks at her move and places a stone on the opposite side of it, so it is now surrounded on two sides.

"Every attack is easier with the support of friends and allies... do you have close companions?"

In some ways, it's a deeply personal question, but it does feel entirely innocent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:21 pm 

"A few," she places a stone diagonal to her own, right next to the newly placed stone. "Most of my close confidants are far from here, unfortunately. So I will be relying mostly on making new ones." The idea didn't seem to offend or shock her at least.

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
"It's not..." she admitted at first quizzically at first. "Ronin do actually accumulate a vast amount of knowledge and experiences from their life in the waves, which is apt to call them wavemen. They can go countless directions without the direction of the wind, light from fire or earth to land. Technically, there are no wrong decisions for wavemen give their circumstances but I would be hard pressed to say if there are right ones."

"But it's not like we can't learn without a sensei. We just need them to contextualize lessons and knowledge to give them purpose. Even then, my sensei would not say following him is the right direction. He merely presents a the road forward, although it becomes our responsibility if we choose to stray off it."

Wasako did bow politely to both the nun and the Lion. It seemed naginata were popular weapons today.

The Kakita flowed into the proper bows for those present.

"Oh I do not doubt we can learn unsupervised. I am concerned if we could learn the right things though. One cannot call a School a School if not all present are learning the same techniques. I cannot imagine anyone at the Academy not being taught the art of the duel for example."

Status 1.0 * Glory 2.0 * Honour Exceptional

Carries: Daisho, fan. When appropriate: Light Armour and Yumi.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:33 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"A few," she places a stone diagonal to her own, right next to the newly placed stone. "Most of my close confidants are far from here, unfortunately. So I will be relying mostly on making new ones." The idea didn't seem to offend or shock her at least.

"It seems there are plenty of interesting people here to get to know and start along the path of friendship! I am glad you are open to the experience. Too often you meet those who are more interested in appearing interesting than being interesting, and those like them are never open to new friendships... just a new audience member for their one-samurai show."

He doesn't sound angry, exactly... but it's clear he's disdainful.

He places a new stone between her two, putting three around the first and now two to the second, then he smiles at her.

"I will not chase you to your friend in the center! I hold hold this corner... for the Phoenix!" He suppresses a giggle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm 

Tani, however, continues trying to connect her line to her friend, pushing on in her play regardless. "I have met a couple of interesting people. Have you had chance to speak to Abbess Kayou? I had been fortunate enough to meet her during the War of Broken Fangs, and I admit I am heartened well by her presence."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani, however, continues trying to connect her line to her friend, pushing on in her play regardless. "I have met a couple of interesting people. Have you had chance to speak to Abbess Kayou? I had been fortunate enough to meet her during the War of Broken Fangs, and I admit I am heartened well by her presence."

"I have not. Perhaps if your line stretches long enough, it shall connect me to her. I did meet another monk, though, Kodama, mere hours ago. He is a fan of heroes, and I must admit talking to him made me want to become one."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next