It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Contemplating the Garden [D1, EA]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:53 pm 

"The Dragon, you say? Hm..." Degarashi shook his head, as if imagining what such a display might look like. As he did, something in his features changed subtly. "I apologize for jumping to the next provincw Suzume-sama, but is every moment in life not a chance to learn from one's mistakes? Were I not making mistakes l, how could I learn?" He made a show of looking around. "Where are those bandits you were fighting?"

And again his demeanor changed, returning to its carefully crafted neutrality once again. "I imagine your stories are far more interesting than my meager imitations could ever be."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:57 pm 

Chihaya followed the exchange in personas with a bemused look.

"Well, I cannot say any of them have ever jumped from province to province... at least, not in my presence, but little would surprise me."

With a faint sigh, she added, "You are an actor then? Or simply a talented amateur?"

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:03 pm 

"I am an actor, trained by the Shosuro, though I've had little success gaining any notoriety due to... this." He vaguely gestured at himself, as if that explained things in their entirety. "I'm here in the city visiting my brother and... his betrothed. Part of my confusion from earlier stems from concerns about what I might do to aid the people in their hour of need. I'm not certain that an amusing display of my talents will do much to assist in the coming days."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:19 pm 

"The morale of the people could be critical, actually."

She smiled faintly, "These are uncertain times. Sometimes humor and courage can be drawn from the works of an actor or poet."

With a small shrug, she added, "I hope your brother and his betrothed are well? It is a difficult time to be making plans... certainly not auspicious."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:32 pm 

Degarashi considered the morale of the city for a moment, a new idea seemingly forming in his mind. "Morale... yes, I suppose my talents could be used for such a matter. I have been working on a routine that focuses on both humor and sentimentality. Maybe mow would be a good time to attempt a performance."

As his thoughts returned to his brother, Degarashi's on snapped back into place so harshly its a wonder it wasn't chased by the word 'Canyonero'. "My brother and his betrothed are both exceptional samurai, paragons of honor and duty, and my younger brother is himself a Gunso. I'm certain they have found no difficulties in their planning."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 pm 

Isawa Hachi wrote:
He smiles, giving her a bow. "Hardly. I am but 26 years of age. Merely suffering the costs of calling too deeply on the kami."

He seems out of breath at first, but then catches it. He stops, leaning heavily on his staff.

"Ahh," she bows her head in reverent respect. "A price that one gifted as yourself must unfortunately pay for Clan and Family. When the need arises. A burden to bear, but at this moment you needn't bear it alone if I might be of assistance to you in some way, Isawa-sama?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:16 pm 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
Degarashi considered the morale of the city for a moment, a new idea seemingly forming in his mind. "Morale... yes, I suppose my talents could be used for such a matter. I have been working on a routine that focuses on both humor and sentimentality. Maybe mow would be a good time to attempt a performance."

As his thoughts returned to his brother, Degarashi's on snapped back into place so harshly its a wonder it wasn't chased by the word 'Canyonero'. "My brother and his betrothed are both exceptional samurai, paragons of honor and duty, and my younger brother is himself a Gunso. I'm certain they have found no difficulties in their planning."

Hmmm...

"Perhaps, but current events might well cause the wise to pause their planning. Matters are not currently fortuitous."

With a small shrug, she added, "Regardless, if you do propose to do a performance, perhaps I will come watch. You seem to have a talent for taking yourself into character - for a moment I thought you had been taken by a different spirit entirely."

Indeed, it was hard to tell if that was a complement, or a concern for his sanity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:31 pm 

That earned Chihaya an honest chuckle. "I shall let you know, should such a performance be forthcoming. And I thank you for the comment, Suzume-sama. My training was a bit... lengthier than is considered typical. Perhaps I absorbed more of my training in the time I was given." He tapped his temple. "The true moment of concern perhaps occurs when I begin performing without an audience."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:40 pm 

"Yet the spirits are always watching, or so I am told."

She shrugged.

"Somewhat distressing thought, really, but I suppose I have no say in the matter."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm 

Degarashi was silent for a moment. "Yes, I have heard that as well. In fact, I've been told it is the reason for my rather unimpressive visage. At least, if one is to believe my mother."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 pm 

"Well, you aren't ugly."

She was an exemplar of tact.

"I've heard many theories of how busy the spirits are... given the disagreements between scholars, I'm not sure I trust any of them."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:29 pm 

Degarashi smiled sardonically at the comment about not being ugly, taking it as the fact that it was. Ugly was still something worth commenting on.

"I'm no expert on the matter myself. I'm referring to my mother's belief that I was born without any remarkable features to shield me from malevolent spirits, as I was born the year Hantei XX passed from our realm. It has thus far cost me much in the way of attention and affection from others, including my mother herself. Though it has also afforded protection from aggression at times. Perhaps the returned Hantei will look over me just as a great many others have done in the past."

Perhaps this was why he could dive so fully into his roles. Being anyone else meant receiving the attention he never had as himself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:50 pm 

"I'm surprised none were willing to look past your features to your wit."

She arched an eyebrow - "surely in your clan in particular, with such courtly predilections, someone who might not be too obtrusive would be useful. You could make friends and carry out your tasks without drawing undue attention or scrutiny."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:56 pm 

"Yes." There was a brief, but poignant pause behind that word. "You would think that such features were valued highly within my clan in particular. But my parents, and younger brother, are Junshin, like many others, and fewer of us have as much appreciation for the ways of the court as they do for the ways of battle. Mine is a tenuous position in the best of times these days."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 pm 

"Oh?"

She looked surprised.

"I mean, your looks wouldn't impact your ability to fight at all. You should see my third Gunso - man has a face like a yam after a week in the sun, but fights like three men."

A little shrug.

"It sounds like there were some unnecessary expectations in place - though I suppose I really am not equipped to give an opinion..."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:45 pm 

Degarashi shrugged, dismissing the notion of his dismissal. "I never took much to the blade. I'm certain I could kill at least one person if I had to fight." He left the implication about who that person would be open. "And it is not my place to judge my parents for their expectations. Or my peers. Or anyone really. There are those who value my talents, but their interests often clash with the values I have been raised with. It can be... chaotic at times trying to find my footing among the extremes."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:53 pm 

"I suspect most would make as similar statement, these last few years."

She shrugged.

"We live in interesting times, Bayushi-san. I suppose if nothing else, you will learn if you can swim."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:57 pm 

Togashi Mai wrote:

"Ahh," she bows her head in reverent respect. "A price that one gifted as yourself must unfortunately pay for Clan and Family. When the need arises. A burden to bear, but at this moment you needn't bear it alone if I might be of assistance to you in some way, Isawa-sama?"

"Company is always good. For now, I try to keep exercising, to keep myself in as good a shape as I can. The healers tell me, even if it is slow, it is better to keep moving."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:59 pm 

Suzume Chihaya wrote:
"I suspect most would make as similar statement, these last few years."

She shrugged.

"We live in interesting times, Bayushi-san. I suppose if nothing else, you will learn if you can swim."

Degarashi smiled, the effect somewhere between amused and dangerously predatory. "Ah, but don't you recall Suzume-sama? We already know how to swim."

((Could not pass up that opening xD))

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:06 pm 

Her eye glinted, perhaps with amusement, perhaps anger, who could say?

"So the story goes - these times are liable to put such tales to the test."

Running one hand along the trailing leaves of a bush, she watched the snow fall away, noting the movement, deep inside the tight brush, of a bird huddled down, hiding from her.

"So too will I discover whether I have learned the first lesson as well as this sparrow." Her hand suddenly darted in to the bush, but the bird had already hopped to the far side, leaping away and taking wing.

It lighted in a nearby tree, chirping abuse, and she gave it an apologetic little wave.

"We all will find out who we are, in times like these, Bayushi-san."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next