It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:07 pm

Post subject: Contemplating the Garden [D1, EA]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

A figure slowly makes his way through the garden. He stops often, spasming slightly each time, as his coughs leave him unable to move. Still, he powers through, and keeps on going. He doesn't feel he would do well in court this day, with the sudden influx of much higher ranking persons, and his minor voice would do nothing. So, he exercises, as the healers told him he must try.

Post subject: Re: Contemplating the Garden [D1, EA]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:02 am 

(elsewhere)

In an isolated corner of the garden, out of the public paths, on a small bridge near a pagoda, Suzume Chihaya was... relaxing. Already the court was full of arguing samurai, all with strong opinions on an unprecedented matter.

Chihaya at least had the self-awareness to know where her expertise ended... and matters of inter-emperor murder... that was well beyond her knowledge of Law and precedent.

So instead she came here, seeking some small measure of peace.

It was not truly training, for she was not pushing herself to learn something new, nor was it meditation, for she performed her kata with blade in hand, but it was some blend of the two.

Motions she her body had learned over a lifetime of war, now familiar as breathing or walking, as she performed a simple, deliberate kata. The Dance of the First Sparrow, her master had called it, and it wove together two fundamental techniques - the 8 angular cuts of rudimentary attack, which any Crane might learn, and the 4 guard positions and their accompanying parries, such as any Crab might be taught.

So she stepped across the uncertain ground of the bridge, balancing lightly so as not to slip, her blade flicking forward, then returning into a defensive sweep, then out again, over and over, each time slightly different. Each time precisely employing a slightly different technique.

It was calming and eerily quiet, the only sounds the crunch of snow underfoot, the hiss of steel cutting air, and the distant murmur of a city ill at ease.

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:12 am 

As is often the case, a Scorpion lurked among the eery quiet, although this one didn't lurk quite so much as gently plod around, admiring the gardens of the city, alone with his thoughts.

Or, he thought he had been alone. During his wandering he heard the faintest whisper of sound, and began to follow it out of curiosity.

At first the sound was indistinct, little more than a distant rasp,but as Degarashi navigated the gardens, it slowly grew into the steady crunch of snow beneath heavy footfalls, to precise and crisp to be footsteps.

Eventually the Scorpion found the source of the sound; a Suzume practicing a series of kata, none of which he was familiar with. Degarashi had limited knowledge in use of the sword, but he was fairly certain he could strike a deadly blow, so long as the target was himself. These movements were entirely alien to him, so he stood, transfixed, staring at the Sparrow as she moved, struggling to keep up with her precise movements.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 am 

Chihaya was in the final steps of the kata for the third time when she whipped her blade outward, catching a leaf blowing past with the tip, and then flicking it off and sheathing her weapon with a bow toward the Bayushi.

Then she stepped down the bridge and approached.

"Good afternoon, Bayushi-san. This one is Suzume Chihaya. Have you had rice?"

Her tone was... not rude, but not as welcoming as her bland smile would suggest.

Something was hidden behind that bright amber eye, some unseen judgment or question.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:27 am 

Degarashi barely hesitated at the carefully neutral tone, having grown quite used to it by now. In response, he kept his own tone and expression carefully composed. "Good afternoon, Suzume-sama. This one is Bayushi Degarashi, and I have been blessed with rice this day. Have you found yourself equally blessed?" The Scorpion regarded the lone, questioning eye with the same bland neutrality that defined most of his life.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 am 

"Hai, I have."

She smiled, but it was cold as the garden.

"Might I inquire what has drawn a child of Bayushi to observe my meditations?"

In many respects, it was a passing question, yet in a certain sense one felt it was the imminent question upon which her response was balanced.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:40 am 

"A wayward fortune and circumstance, mostly. I was wandering the gardens, deep in thought, and followed the sounds of your drills out of simple curiosity." Degarashi kept his hands folded within his sleeves, making no gestures to imply any motives beyond those spoken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:48 am 

She nodded.

"One wasn't sure if you were carrying a message."

A leading question, and she seemed oddly tense about his answer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:09 am 

Degarashi, guessing at the undertone, began looking around at himself, poking and prodding various pockets and pouches, but came up with nothing, and offered up a mild shrug. "I don't appear to have a message for you, from myself, my clan, or my fortunes. I appear to simply be here by way of chance, Suzume-sama."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:16 am 

A faint sigh, and she nodded.

"Then I accept the whims of chance."

Stepping back slightly, she glanced back toward the bridge where she had been practicing.

"I hope I haven't bothered you - I thought I was sufficiently out of the way. I was doing nothing so fanciful as the rumored Kenku of eld, but thought it a good way to center myself after this morning."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:28 am 

"If anyone stands to be bothered, I believe it would be you, as I am the intruder." Degarashi paused, considering the irony of those words before continuing. "I suspect many of us need centering today, the news of this morning was quite... unsettling."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:35 am 

"I cannot help but agree with that concern. I have needed to find my own center. The exercises were primarily for that purpose."

She gave a small shrug.

"And you, were you caught up in that chaos?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 am 

"He shook his head slowly. "Not in any direct sense, no. In my case it seems to have stirred up more... personal concerns. But I've been within the city and only heard what happened. Were you... were you there when this all happened?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am 

Chihaya shook her head.

"No, I've been here, at the temple recovering from an attack."

She tapped the bandages on her neck.

"I only heard this morning... before that my winter was spent listening to monks alternate between their prayers and their sermons, chiding me for trying to get out and stretch my legs."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 am 

"Well, I daresay the attackers would have suffered greatly had you been there, from what I've seen." He nodded to the bridge edge she'd been going through her kata.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:56 am 

"One can hope, though that was a rather basic form."

She smiled faintly. "The Suzume school focuses upon such things."

Tucking her hands in her sleeves, she added, "I wouldn't measure myself among the heroes of legend, but I have seen my share of conflict. In the end, the most basic of cuts will slay a man as easily as an ornate technique, hero or not."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 am 

"I should think a basic form would do the job more easily. A simple stab occurs more naturally than hopping on one leg and trying to reach your sword around your ass to strike at their elbow."

Degarashi made a concerted effort to act out the image he'd just described, but only succeeded in nearly falling into an unflattering heap on the ground. Once he regained his balance, he shrugged. "I'm sure it works better if you're trained by the Kakita."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 am 

Isawa Hachi wrote:
A figure slowly makes his way through the garden. He stops often, spasming slightly each time, as his coughs leave him unable to move. Still, he powers through, and keeps on going. He doesn't feel he would do well in court this day, with the sudden influx of much higher ranking persons, and his minor voice would do nothing. So, he exercises, as the healers told him he must try.

"You look as though a man ready for his next turn," she said, walking up toward the broken man. Looking him over she sought to see if there was any assistance she might deliver him, or he might accept, but otherwise kept apart as to not invite misfortune.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:36 am 

He smiles, giving her a bow. "Hardly. I am but 26 years of age. Merely suffering the costs of calling too deeply on the kami."

He seems out of breath at first, but then catches it. He stops, leaning heavily on his staff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
"I should think a basic form would do the job more easily. A simple stab occurs more naturally than hopping on one leg and trying to reach your sword around your ass to strike at their elbow."

Degarashi made a concerted effort to act out the image he'd just described, but only succeeded in nearly falling into an unflattering heap on the ground. Once he regained his balance, he shrugged. "I'm sure it works better if you're trained by the Kakita."

Chihaya managed to avoid laughing openly, but did smirk.

"Hai, the Kakita have a knack for such ornate maneuvers. Not so much as the Dragon, however."

She remembered back to the Naga War.

"Yes, they had a tendency to perform... unnecessary displays of athleticism. I suppose being up on those mountains must give them time to practice."