It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Day 1, EE] Rally Point (Lions)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:54 pm 

Izumi shakes her head and clutches the package tighter.

"No. This nemurai is too dangerous to leave out of my line of sight, especially in times such as these. Should it fall into the hands of the Steel Chrysanthemum..." Her expression turns dire. "That would be the end of it."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:00 pm 

"You might be able to help me in my understanding, but I had the thought that most of the spirits had returned to their descendants families, and is why many loss are accounted for in the Empire."

The Kitsu tries to bring some ideas to the ground as well as to completely understand the situation in which they are.

"In this case, even though the Steel Chrysanthemum has a hold on them, they are spread out and his army is then smaller than could be. This might also buy us time, unless he comes with the few numbers that he hold."

He takes in a big breath letting his questions sink in before continuing his train of thought. "As for the knowledge of him, it could bring some insight on his capabilities, but we should also know as much as we can about his companions and generals. He could not be a strong general, but his right hand could." He looks back to the daimyo, "Does Kitsu Izumi know the name of any of them?"

Carries: Wakizashi, Scroll satchel, bottle of water, flint and tinder, lantern, and knife.
The task of the priest is to save mankind. / Hito wo tasukéru ga shukké no yuku. /

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 pm 

Matsu Kōgyoku had finally caught up on her purification rituals after a long day and returned to the meeting just when the Kitsu daimyo started speaking, so she recognised her place and had remained silent and listening, before taking the nearest interval to enter and greet all in the proper depth and sequence.

Last edited by Matsu Kōgyoku on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 pm 

Kitsu Izumi wrote:
Izumi turns her gaze to Homura. "The Steel Chrysanthemum seems to have some control over the other spirits. What can the Ikoma tell us of the fallen Emperor?"

Welp, now I have to think.

Homura took a few moments to be thoughtful.

"Well, he founded a bunch of legions and magistrates of his own, and replaced the Lion with the Crab as his Right Hand, so I would say he does not hold much fondness for the Lion. I would guess that many of the Spirits that have returned are also ones that served in those legions."

She paused a moment to think again.

"The title 'Steel Chrysanthemum' is a title he gave himself, instead of 'Golden Chrysanthemum' which makes me think he see's himself more as steel than gold? He was also quite a talented courtier, and courtiers are very good at twisting things to their benefit. I understand he was, well, killed by traitors."

There was a bit of an awkward pause.

"So I guess he's just...kind of done what he believes was done to him?"

The newly arriving Matus received a deep bow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:12 pm 

Mogami's attention is drawn away from the conversation as Touki mentions the package. Mogami thinks for a moment and then has trouble keeping her eyes from going wide at the realization of what the Daimyo carries.

-----
Lore History, TN 10: Roll=16, pass

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:25 pm 

"Perhaps, Ikoma-san. It is possible that, denied the purification of Toshigoku, the Steel Chrysanthemum is still shackled to the chains of his past." Her expression turns thoughtful as she mulls over the idea.

Kitsu Shukei wrote:
"In this case, even though the Steel Chrysanthemum has a hold on them, they are spread out and his army is then smaller than could be. This might also buy us time, unless he comes with the few numbers that he hold."

He takes in a big breath letting his questions sink in before continuing his train of thought. "As for the knowledge of him, it could bring some insight on his capabilities, but we should also know as much as we can about his companions and generals. He could not be a strong general, but his right hand could." He looks back to the daimyo, "Does Kitsu Izumi know the name of any of them?"

Izumi shakes her head. "Unfortunately, no. The Steel Chrysanthemum did not associate with anyone beyond the Emperor and those in court. I did not believe that he was in contact with the returned spirits... but then, he was clearly able to influence the Emperor's Seppun bodyguards, for they moved to protect the Steel Chrysanthemum in the wake of the assassination."

A pause.

"It is possible that the Imperial Families have already been compromised."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:30 pm 

"That is very possible Kitsu-sama" Homura nodded "if he is as influential now as the stories imply he was back then, as well as the potential conflict the Seppun guards would have with an Emperor returned to life, I could see him turning some to his cause and replacing those who would not turn."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 pm 

"We'll prepare for and wage this war with honour, live or die." Kōgyoku said in quiet resolve despite the reasons to doubt their ability to prevail piling up. She would have mentioned something about ancestors but it was too volatile a subject, with some of them apparently running afoul, worse than the forebear of hers she had met.

Instead, she focused her mind on the mastermind of the mayhem, and away from the Kitsu daimyo's predicament.

EE1. What useful do I know about Steel Chrysanthemum. Lore: History. 1R.: 4d10o10k3+3 26

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:58 am 

"If his prior reign is any indication of the spirit that has murdered the Emperor, he's likely to use his political acumen to form a force loyal to him alone by twisting loyalties and exploiting grievances. To weaken our resolve by sowing the seeds of betrayal. Murder of kin is not new to him, and so the Heavens showed displeasure with him during his reign and precipitated his undoing. Hence I assume unity of purpose, legitimacy and honour are essential to our victory no less than the strength of arms." The magistrate added after a pause, having recollected some lessons of the past.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:43 am 

Into the yawning silence that followed the history vignettes, Kinuko posited her opinions on the way forward.

"As Kitsu-dono said, it seems we must see to two things: The defense of this city and its evacuation."

Kinuko left it unsaid that only the failure of the first would necessitate the second and so preparing for an evacuation said manifold things about the belief of success in holding the line.

"Governor Shimizu Kendo is our host. Defense of this city, or its evacuation, are in his hands."

It wasn't much: Support the governor's efforts. But what else could be put forth? The chain of command existed for a reason.

Deaded on Day 8. Stayed behind to hold back the murder spirit hordes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:57 am 

"Preparations can still be made," Izumi murmurs, quietly, loud enough to be heard but soft enough so as not to seem to be directly disagreeing with Kinuko.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 am 

"I have called Toshi no Omoidoso my home for the past year. I can go to the Governor tomorrow to deliver my tactical assessment with Kitsu-dono's additions, as well as what I have learned of the non-Lions that are here in the city now and their leadership and capabilities. If we are to build a forward fortification, preparations will need to be begun with no delay."

She frowns for the briefest of moments before her On returns.

"How can we tell though if those who are approaching are friends or foes? What if the gates are opened for refugees but then it turns out they are part of the Steel Chrysanthemum's force and attack us inside the gates?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:05 am 

"The only option is to cut down any who approach the gates. Some of the innocent will perish, but..." Her voice trails off, and she squeezes her eyes shut as she raises a hand to her forehead, as if suffering through a strong headache.

"No, that is not... not what I meant to say." She lowers her hand back to the package in her arms and glances down at it, hatred flashing in her eyes. When she looks back up, her expression is merely tired. "Forgive me. It has been a long couple of days and I have yet to sleep."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:09 am 

Mogami's eyebrows raise for a moment and she does not immediately respond.

"...The travels from Morikage Toshi have certainly put strain on us all, Kitsu-dono. Is there..."

She visibly frowns, biting her lip for a moment of hesitation.

"Is there somewhere you would wish to store the Mirror? Do you need additional guards?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 am 

"It is not a burden I would wish upon another," she replies with a small shake of her head. "Just as trudging through a battlefield can leave bloodstains upon one's kimono, prolonged exposure to the mirror can leave a mark upon one's soul."

She takes a deep breath and expels it slowly. "Once I have time to set up the proper wards, the burden will be lessened. It is of no concern."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 am 

Kinuko looked over at Izumi, then down to the box.

"As you say, Kitsu-dono. For the rest of us, we should look to our weapons and to each other, make our preparations, and be ready to fight tonight if need be."

Deaded on Day 8. Stayed behind to hold back the murder spirit hordes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:43 am 

Mogami bows and turns to Kōgyoku.

"Matsu-sama, unless I am forgetting, it is yourself and Ikoma Toshiko-sama who are the ranking members here other than the Governor and Kitsu-dono. Is there anything else you would wish me to add to my strategic and tactical briefing to the governor tomorrow? What can we do immediately to assist in your duties?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:04 am 

Nice. It's managed to sink again.

Homura paid attention to the discussions, but wasn't actively partaking as it became a talk on tactics and superiors. She raised a brow slightly at Izumi's comments, and said "we have many here who are unable to protect themselves, and require our protection. Going by how brutal those on the Steel Chrysanthemum have been, any that have fallen even further back will likely be overcome by either the forces or the winter. The last thing we wish to risk is inviting a spirit into our home thinking we're sheltering someone."

When the talk turned to he box and the mirror Homura looked thoughtful. I know what needs to be done if you're willing, Izumi-chan.

As the talk turned back to tactics, Homura moved closer to Izumi and she whispered quietly to the woman "I believe I have a solution Kitsu-sama. Perhaps we can talk later?" Keeping her voice quiet enough for only the daimyo to hear her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:11 am 

What Kōgyoku saw in Izumi made her thoughts accelerate. Being of two minds seemed worrying, as if exposure to the spirits was affecting Izumi's judgement. The magistrate had no profound understanding of what could that be, it was something she needed to inquire a Kitsu like Shukei about later, but a thought nevertheless flashed in her mind that the Steel Chrysanthemum might have mastered some ways of spiritual corruption; that his stay outside Ningen-do might have awarded him powers to twist wills of honourable samurai. Would it not explain why the Emperor's very own Seppun guard, honourable men and women, had betrayed him? She somehow felt that the battle within their souls might come to be as profound as the one on the battlefield for days to come. If it were true about those who'd still come, some of those that had entered the city earlier today might have already been compromised...

So before she could answer Mogami, Kōgyoku turned to the daimyo.

"Kitsu-sama, since the nemuranai you hold onto is so dangerous, are there any special arrangements to be made on our side beyond your guardianship that can cut the risk of it being used against us?"

She stayed attentive, her magistrate's trained instincts on alert.

[Looking for an opportunity to use Investigation roll with Magistrate technique.]

Only later would she reply to Mogami.

"I think you should submit your proposal in writing to Shimizu-sama to give him an opportunity to review it in a thoughtful manner." She supported Kinuko in emphasising the chain of command. "My duty has turned more demanding due to the influx of refugees. As my attention is thus turned inward, an organised effort to pay attention on what occurs outside the city would serve us well. Patrols and lookouts on the walls need to be doubled."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:51 pm 

Ikoma Homura wrote:
As the talk turned back to tactics, Homura moved closer to Izumi and she whispered quietly to the woman "I believe I have a solution Kitsu-sama. Perhaps we can talk later?" Keeping her voice quiet enough for only the daimyo to hear her.

Izumi shrinks away from the close proximity, moving the wrapped package to place her body between it and Homura. "...perhaps later," she says, stepping away to regain her composure.

Matsu Kōgyoku wrote:
"Kitsu-sama, since the nemuranai you hold onto is so dangerous, are there any special arrangements to be made on our side beyond your guardianship that can cut the risk of it being used against us?"

She stayed attentive, her magistrate's trained instincts on alert.

"None that will not interfere with what must be done, Matsu-san." She takes another step away from Homura. "Merely keep the mirror's existence as quiet as possible, and that should prove safety enough for my purposes."

NPC by Mindshred

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next