It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:06 pm

Post subject: Day 1 LE: A Farewell to Dragons (open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:31 am 

It had become her habit this winter to end the day in the peace of the temple. As she reviewed the day's events and planned for the next, she could feel the gaze of heaven and weighed her actions with that gaze in mind. It was humbling and remarkably calming to reaffirm her sense of purpose and place within the great order of the world.

After the news and chaos of the day, she felt a call to meditate before the altar of the great Celestial Dragon. Warm sandalwood incense with a hint of cinnamon and dragon's blood was quietly lit and placed in the well-worn burner before Tomomi stepped back to pray. Letting her eyes focus on the rising smoke, she let the words and thoughts of the day flow by without grasping them, letting them sort themselves and come clear within the dragons' sight.

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, satchel of paper and writing supplies, small mirror, incense

"people are trapped in history and history is trapped in them" -James Baldwin

Post subject: Re: Day 1 LE: A Farewell to Dragons (open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:43 am 

While it was not strictly a duty that was expected of him in any sense, Kin still always felt a personal duty to visit any shrine or temple that he is near at least once. The heavens were the guiding force of the Empire after all, and honoring them was an important part of his personal code.

After the slaughter at Morikage Toshi, he felt it was especially important to offer thanks and prayers to close out his day before he slept. Quietly, but not sneakily, so as to not disturb the praying Phoenix, he made his way to one of the shrines commemorating something called the Dragon of Earth and got into seiza. The ground was very cold, but he did his best to not let it get to him. He offered a few of the most frequently used prayers in the empire, because he knew nothing more specific and did not know if there was even anything more specific. It was enough for him to simply pray, because he assumed that the heavens could hear him regardless.

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:15 am 

The sound of footsteps and of prayer made ripples in the flow of thoughts and images, not enough to distract--she had far too many years of practice for that--but enough to remind her that the world outside of her head existed, and that she needed to return to it eventually. Delicately, she focused on the scent of the incense, the slight irritation of the smoke at the back of her throat, the warmth of the braziers. The impression she surfaced with was that the next days and weeks were going to become so much busier than she'd expected.

Turning, she examined the newcomer for a moment; staring would be rude. She didn't recognize him, so probably one of those fleeing with the court. She didn't quite place his mon, which meant probably some minor clan or other. They'd been sprouting up at a rapid pace in the past decade.

After a few moments' thought, she decided to wait. She didn't have much to offer, but seeing if the newcomers needed anything while settling in seemed the correct thing to do.

She moved to set a small river-polished quartz in the earth dragon's offering tray, then stepped back to wait with a quiet, rote prayer. They'd need the patience and perseverence of earth too in the days to come.

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, satchel of paper and writing supplies, small mirror, incense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 am 

Kin hadn't chosen the Dragon of Earth for any insightful reason. It was simply the one that drew his eye.

When he finished his simple prayers, he looked up and saw the Phoenix nearby. "Isawa-san," he greeted bowing in his seiza position. "I hope I did not make noise enough to distract you from your meditations. I was trying to remain quiet. I am Ryuuta Kin, magistrate of the Pirnha."

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:26 am 

Kodama gave the monk shuttering the inner library a bow, then exited for the evening, with a firm need to give a prayer to the Void Dragon.

So much! It was difficult to absorb information like that, or to suddenly be trusted with it.

He moves with years of practice to the inner shrine of the Void Dragon, kneeling and then prostrating himself with care.

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:42 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
Kin hadn't chosen the Dragon of Earth for any insightful reason. It was simply the one that drew his eye.

When he finished his simple prayers, he looked up and saw the Phoenix nearby. "Isawa-san," he greeted bowing in his seiza position. "I hope I did not make noise enough to distract you from your meditations. I was trying to remain quiet. I am Ryuuta Kin, magistrate of the Pirnha."

Tomomi bows as well, precise if a bit slow with a stiffness that matched the silver in her hair. "Certainly not Ryuuta-san. The Dragons let one loose from their thoughts exactly when they mean too. If they did chose your footsteps to do it, there'd be nothing but honor in it."

The web of fine lines at the edge of her eyes crinkles in a courtiers' smile, leaving her on intact. Tilting her head slightly, quizzically, she asks, "Piranha are one of the young clans this winter, yes? I spend a good deal more time studying the past than the present, so I can tell you tales of the Deer and the Tadpole, but sometimes miss details of the new ones as they happen."

Kodama wrote:
Kodama gave the monk shuttering the inner library a bow, then exited for the evening, with a firm need to give a prayer to the Void Dragon.

So much! It was difficult to absorb information like that, or to suddenly be trusted with it.

He moves with years of practice to the inner shrine of the Void Dragon, kneeling and then prostrating himself with care.

She spares a glance for the newcomer, not disturbing his prayers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:49 am 

Similarly, Kin gives the monk his undisturbed privacy until such time as he chooses to introduce himself.

"Yes, the Piranha were founded only a few years ago, after the War of Broken fangs with the Naga. It is our duty to watch over the Shinomen and to maintain relations with the Naga of Tausha's Legion," he explains. It's not the first time and will not be the last, and it does not bother him in the slightest to do so.

"As part of my duties I've interacted regularly with Tausha's Legion and become acquainted with Naga culture and law, to help ease concerns over legal maters."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:55 am 

Very slightly, the Phoenix woman leans forward, academic interest engaged. "The Naga? I've heard a bit about them, of course, but haven't met anyone with first hand knowledge yet. Are your villages and towns home to both people and Naga? I imagine the legal matters would get complicated, and then there are so many rules of etiquetter to navigate, aren't there?" She pauses, possibly for breath, one hand gesturing vaguely to the north. "I've studied a bit of the difficulties about the rare occasions where we need interact with the Yobanjin, and even there, the difficulties in matters of etiquette are complex, I can only imagine how different it is with Naga. Can snakes bow, even?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 am 

Listening to her questions, he smiles. "They are capable of bowing. There are a few that spend the majority of their time in Nirukti, the capital of the Piranha lands and a former Naga city. And there are some legal complexities, but it is not so bad considering the differences in culture and way of life. Also, the Naga have very cultured sensibilities and Tausha's Legion has been very respectful in learning the etiquette of the empire. Fewer from the empire learn their own social norms, but I do try my best, though it can be difficult. Many of their social norms are imperceptible from ours do to their communal spiritual link. They also have their own language that I have taken the time to learn, though I can only understand it mostly. A great deal of their communication isn't verbal and we simply lack the bodies to convey things properly. It is all a complex, mess and I enjoy my duty untangling it a great deal."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 am 

There's the intake of breath and tensing of the jaw about to speak, then an exhale and two rueful, downcast blinks before beginning again. "I really do need to invite you to tea, where I can take notes, before I absolutely flood you with questions, Ryuuta-san. I had not even known about this communal spiritual link you mention. I can only imagine how such a thing would have affected the development of our own traditions, and really would like to learn a great deal more." Even as she was certain there were a dozen researchers already writing on the topic, there was no reason her curiosity needed to wait until they got around to publishing on the more esoteric bits.

"But a shorter question, since you've learned their language, does it have *any* connection to previously known ones?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:24 am 

Slowly he straightened. It was what he could do not to shake.

Finally he got back to his knees. His life was more of a knot than he'd imagined. How much further did he have to go?

Slowly he forced his breath in and back out. As his teachers had taught him years ago. A calm mind was key.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:30 am 

"I'd be glad to join you, although if it would be of interest I could invite The Shakanar or The Saravya to join you. They are two Naga that are here in the city. I think it would be particularly interesting for them as well since they were recently on a pilgrimage seeking some sort of knowledge that a historian like yourself might be able to give them insight with. Not that I know specifically what they were seeking, but I can't imagine they would pass up an exchange with a knowledgeable scholar," Kin offers.

"As to their language, I could not tell you. I learned it out of the connection to my duty and respect for a neighboring culture. All I know is that it is incredibly complex for us and far more intuitive for them. I have no knowledge of other languages except that I know that other languages exist."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:04 am 

"Of course. It's rare enough to know any...other...languages," she couldn't really call the Naga gaijin when they lived solidly within the Empire, could she? " I just know Asako Seika would love a decent source of material to do some comparisons. She doesn't travel as much as she used to to gather phonemes. So I do hope to bring a few phrases back for her."

"And an introduction to the.." she stumbles over the unfamiliar pronunciations, Shakanar and Sarayva would be marvelous. I'm sure I've seen at least one of them at a distance this winter, but never managed to be close enough to chat." Now she was quite curious what they were looking for, and what history might have connections to such strange creatures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:21 am 

"Well then, perhaps it will be better for me to organize tea, since I know all invitees," he offers. "And even if I will have much less to contribute in terms of knowledge it would be good to have the opportunity to learn."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:06 am 

She considers for a moment, then nods, "that does seem sensible, though, if you don't mind a suggestion, I think the Open Shore has the best layout to accommodate..." she fans a hand behind her, in obvious reference to the tails of the other invitees."

"At least, I assume you arrived with those departing Morikage Toshi. If you're familiar with the teahouses in town here and have a preference, I'm happy to defer to it. I've been in all of them a few times this winter, and, other than the Steamed Cup, they're all quite fine for such meetings." It wouldn't do to say 'fleeing' the Winter Court, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:21 am 

The monk stands slowly, head down as he contemplates one thing or another.

A shiver down his spine, and then he stands still, looks about, and finally straightens his shoulders.

He could offer service yet, it was not too late.

There wasn't much, but there was always a little bit of tidying still to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 am 

"I'll defer to your suggestion Isawa-san. After all, this is my first visit to the city, and was unexpected due to the retreat from winter court," he confirmed. "Have you been in the city very long?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:13 am 

"Just for the winter. I was conducting research in the province and arranged to remain rather than head home. The agreements being arranged at this court are minor enough for an old historian to help wrangle."

"Nothing like the court at Morikage Toshi, I imagine." In many ways other than the glaring obvious and bloody one. She pauses before asking, with some delicacy, "Were there other returned ancestors at court this winter?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:13 pm 

"There were many there. They were the only assailants that I saw or am aware of. I would only be surprised if some joined them, only because I did not see them show any hesitation or remorse in cutting down descendants including non-combatants that were not trying to resist. I would think any that attempted to fight alongside them would have simply been engulfed by the slaughter and ended like any other."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:21 pm 

Answering the unasked along with the asked, Tomomi revised her opinion of the Minor Clan courtier's abilities upward, her shoulders straightening in unconscious response.

"Many. ... That's troublesome. I don't know that anyone did an accurate count of the returned when they arrived, but I don't think many of those I spoke with in the fall were planning to attend. I worry about how far ahead this may have been planned and what they are doing." It had to be planned, right? One did not just kill an emperor and slaughter half a court on a lark. "If all of them joined that fight at least, that seems planned, or some would have defended their descendants out of some kind of familial feelings."

She pauses, assessing the discomfort Kin might be feeling to discuss such recent trauma, or whether this was a welcome chance to talk. "In any case, the Phoenix here hope we can assist our Lion hosts in making sure everyone from that court is able to find a place here and chance to recover.

She spares a glance for the monk, and an idle thought to wonder if the temples would be mobilized to offer aid as well.