It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:59 pm

Post subject: Re: [D12, EA] Sword Swingin' (expecting)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 pm 

"I'm afraid I'm hesitating, sensei. Overthing things."

Perhaps saying it out loud was all she needed to break the spell, because right afterwards she stepped forward briskly and struck the the dummy, hitting it in its 'arm' with a sharp crack. Rin winced visibly, then took a step back before she sterped forward and struck again, hitting it in the shoulder with a less sharp sound.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:15 pm 

"That's it. A few more of those until you start getting the hang of it. That first strike was good, but don't lose your balance by overcommitting." Maiya calls out, trying her best to give Yukarin some guidance.

All the while she was forming an assessment and deciding what to show Yukarin to really help her along. They only had the afternoon so it would need to be something the other Crab could practice.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:59 pm 

"Hm? Oh... hai."

Yukarin looked back and gave a curt nod before turning back to the dummy. She gave a few more solid whacks with her training sword, the strikes very hard and direct, despite the way it made shocks go up her arms.

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:59 pm 

Maiya nodded from where she watched nearby. "Hai, hai. Try letting out some anger as you go to strike Yasuki-sama."

Arms too rigid. Legwork is okay, but slow. Upper body isn't turning into the strikes. She noted it all down as she tried to figure out where to start. Her mind was nearly there in formulating a training routine.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am 

"A-Anger?"

Yukarin paused, seeming a bit confused, "Anger at what? And I thought you were supposed to clear your mind of emotion while you struck? At least, that's what that Akodo manual said."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 am 

"Hmm... clear your mind of thoughts and emotions that wouldn't help maybe, like sympathy or sorrow, but anger is useful. You hit harder. It can focus you. It hurts to hit hard, desho?"

She pointed to the tummy.

"You can use that to get angry. All bushi practice giving a kiai shout. It's hard to do one without any emotion. You need to... to channel some kind of feeling. Otherwise they lack power." And then there was no point.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:25 am 

Yukarin nodded; She'd heard some did not, something about dead eyed berserkers or smooth Kakita strikes, but she was not about to argue the point. So, when she lined up again, she gave a shout as she struck. It was very cute in her trademark higher pitched voice, though she tried to put her gut into it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 am 

"Nice first effort!" Maiya announced enthusiastically.

She instructed Yukarin to do one more before moving over and getting her back into her stance. Carefully she stepped up behind her.

"Okay, I need to touch you a little. Please excuse me."

Maiya touched the Yasuki's arms, slightly adjusting them. "How does this feel? Try gripping the bokken less tightly too." Her hands moved up Yukarin's arm so her fingers could rub the back of Yukarin's hand. "Don't strangle the bokken."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:34 am 

"Yosh."

Yukarin was wearing long sleeves and everything, so it was hardly the most intimate touching in the world regardless. And, as is, she was more focused on how the changes felt than anything.

"It does feel less tense this way, hai. Though, it does feel less controlled as well, like I'm bound to drop the bokken if I strike with it."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 am 

"Grip it tighter as you strike. When not striking or forced to block, hold it not quite so tight. You'll only wear out your fingers otherwise."

She lets go and crouched down. Setting her bokken down she reached for Yukarin's foot. "Practice sliding this forward and back, but keep your back leg where it is. It will help with balance. Move your body a little forward and back each time, then gradually try shifting your balance from your back leg to your front. This will help you move more suddenly and lend better momentum to your attacks."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:06 am 

Yukarin tried to not move her feet as her tabi were touched, letting them be lead as she absorbed everything Maiya was saying. She nodded a bit, "That does make sense, to vary your grip. It's like speaking up when you want to be heard and speaking softer when you're trying not to; There's not just one intensity that applies in all situations. Ano... not that I'm sure why I brought up that analogy when you're the one teaching~"

She blushed slightly, "And I will apply that to my footwork as well; Vary momentum while keeping aware of my balance."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:25 am 

"Iie, it's useful. I should use analogies more, ne?" Maiya replied, looking up and smiling from where she crouched. "I've only taught a few younger students before. Sorry if I'm rubbish at this."

She nods a few times at Yukarin's assertion. "That would be helpful. If you're too set in your ways then you also become predictable. My sensei said that. So, there's a lot to learn. It's difficult to remember it all at once so, ano, you just have to kind of get it right by practicing it a lot."

Tapping the Yasuki's foot gently she then pointed to the dummy. "One more please."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 am 

She turned back to face the dummy.

"Mmmm... well, you know me. I like mixing things up; Surprise attacks...!"

As she finished saying this she attacked hard, the crack of the bokken dancing around the hall as her smile didn't leave with the impact.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm 

The Kaiu slapped the floor in approval.

"That was good! You had more feeling there."

She hopped up to her feet with her bokken. "I'm trying not to think about you and surprise attacks." Maiya admits, grinning slightly. "But if thinking about them and staying alive to do more of them gets your blood pumping, then hold onto that."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm 

"It certainly does... though I may want to find some variety to what does so for me. If it was a long battle, I'm not sure I'd be in fighting form long thinking about that sort of stuff~"

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:27 pm 

The other Crab looked about and, confirming the dojo was empty, moved beside Yukarin to nudge her with her elbow.

"I'm trying to be serious Yukarin-sama." She protests with a slight blush.

Stepping back she points to the centre of the dojo with her bokken. "Let's to there. I want to show you something you can practice. We'll need space."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm 

A light blush touched her cheeks, "Well... I kind of am too. You said my attack was better when I was being passionate about it. And you really were what I was thinking about... So, I really do need to think of how to better channel into that emotion; I don't think shouting is for me, really. But there's got to be something."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:00 pm 

"Just... don't moan at your enemies either, ne?" Maiya whispered, her blush starting to grow and her train of thought rapidly derailing.

As she pointed at the spot again she cleared her throat. Then she just moved into the space to get some air.

"This will be more practical. I think you might like it."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:46 pm 

"I am all ears sensei."

Yukarin readjusted herself before following towards the dojo's centre, curious as to what Maiya had in mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 am 

"Okay, I'll explain. You'll take your stance and close your eyes. Whenever I stamp the floor you open your eyes and attack - one strike wherever I am. Aim at my bokken and I'll block. Then close your eyes again and we repeat. Any questions?"

She anticipated the curious courtier would have some.