It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Post subject: Splitting Wood, not shells. (D12, LM, Chidoriyama inn)
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 am 

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

Chihaya was back at it - her usual practice of splitting wood to pay her keep and keep fit.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

It was a meditative thing, and she settled into an easy rhythm, the axe rising and falling in smooth strokes.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

That was satisfying - simple, clean, and straightforward. Nothing like being under siege, surrounded by political intrigue, and in a complicated friendship with a lustful scorpion friend of sorts.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

Or being a mentor to an impulsive imperial princess. Or being expected to carry on the legacy of greater heroes, or being expected to make alliances for her lord, or expected.... the list went on.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

This, at least, she knew. And for a few minutes each day, she could take comfort in that.

Profile :: Theme

Post subject: Re: Splitting Wood, not shells. (D12, LM, Chidoriyama inn)
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:11 am 

Heck's that? Maiya heard the distant and regular thud and thunk noises. With the enemy army still outside she decide to investigate just to be sure it was fine. After all, some enemies were able to just teleport into the City!

Covered in her solid and ornate armour she homed in on the noise. As she did, no doubt the Sparrow would soon notice some noise in turn; heavy footsteps.

Rounding the side of the inn Maiya stopped to take in the scene of a samurai cutting wood. Her first thought was that it must be a ronin. She reached up to remove her menpo before giving a slight bow.

"Ano, apologies for disturbing you samurai-sama. I wasn't sure what the noise was."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 pm 

*ssshhhhhhhhThwonk*

This time she didn't totally turn the axe in surprise, so it was progress.

Still hurt though.

Shaking out her hands, she nodded to the Crab.

"No harm done... Hida? No, Kaiu-san."

A good thing she new mons, at least somewhat.

"I didn't mean to alarm you. I'm afraid I find it a relaxing way to pay the bills. This one is Suzume Chihaya, shoi and sensei among the Sparrow."

Which partially explained why she would feel compelled to pay the bills, and partially did not, as she could quite reasonably expect her hosts to handle any costs related to her stay.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:47 am 

"Hai. I am Kaiu Maiya. I like fighting. Nice to meet you."

Maiya gave her usual greeting and a bow about as deep as her armour allowed.

Oh, Sparrow. Ok.

The Kaiu wasn't hot on Mon so she was glad Chihaya introduced herself. She glanced at Chihaya's clothes a few times to try memorising the image.

"I am in your care. Ano, no harm done Suzume-sama. I apologise again for being so easily disturbed."

The Crab was a little startled to meet someone so high ranking among the Sparrow Clan. She slid her menpo into a slot in her armour and just sort of looked around. "You're... staying here Suzume-sama?" She indicated the inn with her right hand.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm 

"Hai, I am."

She smiled at the Crab's introduction. I like fighting. This woman sounded like a Hida in all but name.

"It is no trouble, in a time like this it is good to be vigilant, after all."

Resting the axe against the block, she tucked her hands into her sleeves. "It's a comfortable inn, and they make lovely noodle soup - though they refuse to share the recipe."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 pm 

"That's good to know, eto... so, you like noodles Suzume-sama?" She was a little surprised by the extra information Chihaya had shared. She wondered if it was somehow significant.

"It seems like a nice inn. A little quieter than where my cousin and I are staying." Maiya remarked. "Reminds me more of the inn in the town I'm from." With a shrug she regarded Chihaya.

"Some on the walls have said the enemy might be preparing to depart. It could be a ruse of course. Still, you ought to know if you don't already."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:15 pm 

"Oh?"

Chihaya raised an eyebrow. "That's good to know. Perhaps this matter won't drag on for months."

As for the other comments... "Well, I enjoy good food, yes, but you seemed confused as to why I might stay here. I thought I'd offer the innkeep some praise."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 am 

"Hai. Besides, from what I've heard their Commander isn't well known for protracted siege warfare, but more open fighting."

She tilts her head a little at Chihaya's comments. I'm confused why you're staying here? Don't you just need a room? It was likely that the Sparrow was overthinking Maiya's words. "Ano, please excuse me Suzume-sama." She voices back deferentially, her instinct to apologise to someone with such great status even though she wasn't sure what the misunderstanding was.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:10 pm 

Chihaya rested the axe on the stump, leaning on the implement, expression thoughtful.

"That maybe be true... I served with Matsu Kassenko during the war with the Naga. She was every bit as vicious and unfeeling then as she is now."

Glancing at the walls, she added, "I'm surprised she's chosen to hold back as much as she has - had she chosen to make a ramp of the fallen up to the walls, I would not have been surprised. That she refrains means her target elsewhere is too compelling."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 pm 

"Hai. Ultimately this city matters little. Even an unimportant bushi like me can see that. We're perhaps quite fortunate, ne?" Maiya responds, moving a few steps closer to make talking easier. She had become curious upon learning Chihaya had fought against the naga and alongside Kassenko.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:55 pm 

"Fortunate, perhaps... the city certainly is."

Chihaya sighed. "I would've been happy to bleed off their strength a while longer - the defenses here are strong and with time, we might have weakened the foe significantly."

Shrugging, she waved idly with her off hand. "Still... it is good for the people here that they do not have to suffer the predations of an extended siege. Such things are typically vicious indeed."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:30 am 

"Frustration and anger builds up among the besiegers and it all gets unleashed when they are victorious, ne? My mother spoke about such things when I was a young girl." She absentmindedly reached up to brush her hair only for her gauntlet clan hand to bump into her helmet. She quickly lowered it.

"Ano, what was it like fighting the naga? How were they? Please excuse the question from a stranger. Ano, I've spoken to a couple here in the City and they seem to sincerely wish to join my Clan's efforts to fight the enemy to the South. I'm trying to understand it."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:38 am 

"How was it?"

Memories, stirred by the play the other day, drifted idly by, and her expression darkened.

"Imagine fighting a foe which is physically stronger than you, utterly silent, and perfectly coordinated. They fought as if they all knew what the other was thinking, covering for each other without speech... no battle cries. No shouts of anger or pain, just the occasional hiss..."

Her gaze was distant. "Imagine one, perhaps eight feet tall, looming over you, blade in hand, having just torn your armor away like wet paper and killed the ashigaru you led."

A soft sigh.

"That's what it was like. They are mighty warriors - we had to bring our utmost strength to bear against them - and there were days where that fell short. At least we know that they fought us because they hate the forces of the south... even more than we do... is a strange comfort, when it is over. It is hard to see one now, blade in hand, and not remember those moments in the shinomen."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 am 

"So, on average, a warrior naga is stronger than an individual samurai?" The Sparrow's discomfort was completely lost on the Crab who was seeking information about the snake people.

"They sound fierce like the Matsu, but collected like the Mirumoto are like in stories. I cannot fully imagine they level of cooperation. No shouts or communication. Hmm." She tapped her chin thoughtfully. It reminded her a little of what she'd heard of some shadowlands creatures, but it wasn't a nice comparison to make.

"Ja, you must have fought very well. You are a war hero, ne? I'm honoured to have you here Suzume-sama. I would have liked to fight alongside you." Maiya comments cheerfully. The whole dead ashigaru bit hadn't fazed her at all. Ashigaru died. Samurai died. Battles killed everyone. Wasn't that normal?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 am 

"I guess you could call me one, if you liked. I went, I helped to kill a pair of Naga generals, some line soldiers and even nezumi, and then I returned home. I was no more or less a hero than Asako Kashiwagi-sama, so recently departed. We fought together in some of those battles."

Her expression grew distant.

"I expect you may yet fight alongside me - after all, that army will still need defeating - I intend to remain with it until it is finished."

Glancing at the crab, she added, "If the Naga wish to fight alongside you, they would make good allies. They seem to be resistant to the foul, as they call it, and fanatic in their hatred of it."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:45 am 

"That's very impressive Suzume-sama." She voiced back earnestly.

Placing her hands on her hips she looked between the other woman and her wood chopping block and axe.

"I hope so. I'll inform my Lord about the naga. Not all of us know their friendly intentions now. Or that they're different to the groups fought before. I only understand it a little. My sensei always said I was slow to pick things up." She scritched her cheek.

"I'll gladly fight alongside you if my cousin and I end up joining another force to oppose the returned spirits. Something I need to discuss with her. For now, do you want any help with these logs Suzume-sama?"

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 am 

Chihaya chuckled.

"Only if you want - I do it to pay the rent, and it helps me relax."

Hefting the axe, she added, dryly, "I view it as a sort of meditation."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 am 

"I can understand that." And she could. Sometimes she'd hit a dummy for a couple hours until her body ached to clear her mind.

Maiya moved closer and held out her hand for the axe.

"A lot on your mind Suzume-sama?"

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:54 am 

"Mostly unimportant things."

She handed it over, taking a seat on the wood pile where she could pass over logs.

"It is a way to distract from the important things, I suspect."

A little shrug. "How about you? Maybe you share my first concern... what to do once this army is defeated - after all, if it isn't, I doubt we'll be around to make plans..."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:23 pm 

The Crab didn't begin chopping wood right away. She spent a couple of moments checking the blade, feeling the heft of the axe and practising a few grips. Only then did she set down a new log of wood to chop.

"At my level the important things are none of my concern. I'm just a guardswoman. It must be tough at your level Suzume-sama. Making important decisions and considering everything." Maiya didn't have any experience with anything like that. Someone just gave her an order to do and she'd try her best to do it.

"That's true, but they're not that big a threat are they? The real threat is letting them get to the Capital and claim control of the Empire. Numbers wise and threat wise as an enemy force... eh, it's not even as bad as the naga attacks in the past, ne?" She shrugged then got into position to cut. "I'll be heading back home when they're defeated. How about you?"

*ssshhhhhhhhTUNK*

Maiya managed to bury the axe into the log. It wasn't fully split so she had to wiggle it free. In doing so the log finally broke into two.

"Gotta hit it pretty hard, desho?"