It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:41 pm

Post subject: Reunion. Remorse? (D1 - LE - Kitsu Izumi's room)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:07 am 

The announcement at the door was answered quickly by a slightly irate servant.

Chiyo stood, wearing her best, with the mon of the Kitsu school displayed on one breast as prominently as possible. Her red hair was neatly combed over one shoulder and fell, not obscuring the mon of the Seppun, but framing it. Her kimono itself was a soft-Imperial green gold trim - functional and a far cry from ostentatious.

The servant looked her up and down.

"Kitsu-denka is not receiving visitors at the moment, Seppun-sama," she said brusquely before turning to walk away.

Chiyo spoke before she could vanish completely, "With respect, I believe she would see me, were she to know I was here. I am Seppun Chiyo of the Jade Office. Kitsu-denka and I...we served together during the War of Burned Wings."

She held up a small tray of tea, already steeping.

Post subject: Re: Reunion. Remorse? (D1 - LE - Kitsu Izumi's room)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 am 

The guard looks Chiyo up and down, then steps into the room to confer with its occupant. After a moment, he returns and motions for Chiyo to enter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:33 am 

As she entered, she handed the tray of tea to the servant so that she might bow properly, low and prolonged. When bidden to do so, she rose and greeted Izumi.

"Kitsu-denka, I am glad you have arrived unharmed. I...it has been a long a time," she said.

"I brought tea," she finished, gesturing to the pot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:37 am 

Izumi is standing as Chiyo enters the room, though she doesn't look particularly pleased at the meeting. Her appearance was more tired than anything. "Seppun-san. Come to gloat?"

She motions to the table, inviting her to be seated.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:51 am 

Chiyo started and then paused.

"No, Kitsu-denka. I know the toll that the past took on you, just as you know the toll that it took on me. We were all changed by what we saw...by what we did," she said as she took her seat and motioned for the tea to be brought over.

She inclined her head towards Izumi's streak of white hair, marring her otherwise red mane.

"I know I was somewhat more...opinionated when last we spoke on the matter. But I have had the benefit of time and age.

"There is no victory in this moment. I came to check on you. I came to offer what help I can," she finished.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:01 am 

"It is too late for me," Izumi says, shaking her head as despair seeping into her voice. "I have no more choices left to me. All I can do is follow this path I am on to its conclusion."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 am 

"Iie!" Chiyo replied, her voice rising, "The only path we are committed to is the one behind us."

"The path before us is unwritten and bends to our choices. We, you and I, are here because Akodo-no-kami showed this wisdom and this bravery.

"By the time he reached our ancestors, his path was paved with blood, as was his way. But he made a choice that day, to spare the lives of the Kitsu - to welcome them into the Lion. He did what was in his power to strengthen the Lion and the Empire."

Chiyo shook her head.

"You are the heir to a brilliant legacy, Kitsu-denka. Whatever missteps you may perceive on the path behind you, the only path you must follow is the one you choose to."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 am 

Izumi turns and walks to her shuttered window, leaving her back to Chiyo. "Do you remember the warning stories of Jigoku, Chiyo-san? How contact with the Realm of Evil can stain one's soul, clouding perceptions and ensuring that, upon death, the soul would be claimed by Jigoku, rather than pass into Emmo-O's judgment?"

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:12 pm 

Chiyo's own face grew somewhat darker as her eyes followed Izumi across the room, her earlier burst of confidence lost among the waves of her own experiences. She steeled herself after a moment.

"Hai, Izumi-sama," she returned, falling into a familiar practice, though one that had long lay dormant.

"Stories have become reality too recently and in far too much detail for my liking," she said, reaching up and touching the jade lion she wore about her neck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:46 pm 

"Unfortunately, the other realms are just as jealous. Prolonged exposure to the Mirror has left a mark upon my soul, one that will not be erased with death." She turns back to face Chiyo. "So no, Chiyo-san, in this, the future is written. This path I am on only ever leads to one place."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:01 pm 

"The woman I knew so many years would not accept such a thing," she said coolly, "Not without a fight. What actions she took, she always took because she believed them to be best. That is all any of us can do in a given moment."

Chiyo rose and turned to face the daimyo.

"The Kitsu are not without their defenses against such. The Kitsu are one of the most storied shugenja families in the Empire - and none are closer to Yomi. And you are Kitsu Izumi - let me remind you," she pleaded, opening her scroll case and proffering one to Izumi.

(Chiyo presents Armor of the Ancestors to Izumi for inspection)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:28 pm 

"Fighting has only brought more suffering to the Empire," Izumi says, shaking her head. She steps forward and closes the box, keeping her hands on the led. "Believing that your actions are right does not make it so. The Emperor is dead because of my actions. The only reason I have not taken my own life to atone for my mistakes is because there is yet one task left to me."

Her expression turns pained. "Would you be offering such support if I was infused with the raw essence of Jigoku? If I had opened a portal to the Realm of Evil within the Empire and allowed countless demons to pour out into the mortal realm?"

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:46 pm 

Chiyo took a step back and drew a breath.

"Perhaps not. I know that I would want to. From what I have seen, from others, there is a point in that journey from which there is no return. Perhaps it is the same for the Realm of Slaughter. You are here. You are contrite and you self-admittedly have something you need to finish...something that, given the rest of your words I believe will help the Empire. That does not sound to me like a woman who has reached the point of no return. It sounds to me like a woman who is trying to do what she can to make things right," she said, finding her conviction, and trying to will some of it to Izumi.

"In recent years alone the Empire has taken several blows from its southern enemy. But it has also won many battles. Shiro Hiruma stands upon pure ground. Jama Suru lies dead," she said.

"The samurai of the Empire have proven able to accomplish much when they stand together, Izumi-sama. Let me stand with you in this."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:03 am 

Izumi falls silent.

"If you truly wish to help," she eventually says, speaking slowly, "then I will send for you when it comes time to close the portal."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 am 

Chiyo nods once.

"When you call, I shall answer, Izumi-sama."

She started to speak again, but sensed that she would gain no further ground today.

(will bow and exit barring anything else Izumi wants to discuss)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:43 am 

Izumi nods as she turns away, allowing Chiyo to depart without further word.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:05 am 

As Chiyo went to exit, she paused by the door and turned back.

"I have had a daughter, Izumi-sama. Her name is Murasaki. She has hair the color of a maple in autumn. Her eyes glimmer like the sun on the Ikoma plains.

"She gives me hope for the future. I hope to give her an Empire where hope has a place," she finished, turning to make her way to her room.

The tea sat untouched.

/scene