It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:10 am

Post subject: Re: Who goes there? (Day 9 LE)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:52 pm 

"That's promising..." This was really useful intelligence. She had to think of a way to put this information to better use. Her mouth tightened as she considered some options.

"Oh... so the fighting perhaps could have been avoided?" That made her feel a bit bad.

One idea occurred to her over some others that she set aside. She cleared her throat and brought it up with the Dragon. "I know this is our first meeting Togashi-sama, but this is really useful information. Actually, would it be possible to have you commit some of this to writing? I don't think many Crab know this. At least, not as many as could be. Sharing this information would help both my Clan and the naga, ne?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:05 pm 

"Maybe the war could have been avoided. I have thought about it, not a little." The lantern light casts shifting shadows across the planes of Myo-en's face and sparks from the depths of her dark eyes. "But it could be that they are only here now because they sensed the Foul gaining strength through humans, in the Bloodspeaker War, maybe. Some of them think that might be the reason they woke--that if they had not suspected humans of evil, they would still be sleeping."

"Write...?" She looks diffidently away from Maiya, out at the city again, and walks a few more paces quietly. "I am not much of a writer. I can try if it is helpful, but you should first seek a book called Echoes of the Akasha. A priest who was with the Imperial Army during the war wrote it to explain his learning about the Naga. If there is a copy anywhere in Lion lands, it would be in Nikesake, I think."

Last edited by Togashi Myo-en on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:20 am 

"Hmm... I'll have a look around before leaving then. Thank you Togashi-sama."

The Crab was content to be quiet for a bit after that. There was the rain and the sound of their footsteps, so the air was hardly peaceful even without chatter. Then there was the background noise of the city.

Maiya often slowed to lift her lantern and gaze out over the walls. However and most fortunately, there was no sign of anything amiss.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:06 am 

Myo-en also seems content to patrol quietly for a while. She ranges from side to side a bit more than Maiya, covering ground like a scout without particularly seeming to notice she's doing so.

When Maiya pauses to survey the field conditions, Myo-en pauses too. But she seems to be focused elsewhere, cocking her head and looking back along the inner side of the wall. Her lips part expectantly, and she starts to extend one hand in front of herself...

... and, with a rattle of wet pinions and a hoarse caw, an especially large crow descends out of the rain to land heavily on the monk's outstretched arm. It shakes and fluffs its feathers, spraying Myo-en's face with rainwater and making her sputter. "Agh! You might have gone straight home instead," she scolds affectionately.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:25 pm 

The dark flying shape that flashed past in her peripheral vision almost had her drawing her blade. Instead, she paused with it mid-draw as she saw what it was. Maiya let out the breath she realised she'd been holding for a long moment.

"Most people would warn those they're with that they're about to have a bird land on their arm." She mutters unhappily. Maiya was not happy about the rush of adrenaline she'd just had. Could have cut its head off.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:23 am 

"I am never sure until she gets close. Especially at night." Myo-en casts an apologetic glance at Maiya. "Even after some time, most crows look very alike from far off."

The crow voices a carping sort of cackle, in between using its sharp-looking beak to help clamber up Myo-en's sleeve to her shoulder.

"Well, I am sorry my eyes aren't as sharp as yours, friend. It is not an insult."

A grumbling series of caws.

Myo-en sighs. "Everyone is tense tonight, hm?" One corner of her mouth quirks wryly at Maiya.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:00 am 

"That makes sense... hai." She gave a couple nods of understanding, instantly forgetting the matter. It didn't really bother her. She just didn't want to kill anyone's... pet? Was it a pet? She observed to find out.

The Crab's expression turned quizzical as she witnessed the familiar, but incomprehensible, back and forth between monk and crow.

"Hai. Throughout the city. Ano, he likes you, ne? He's very talkative."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:13 pm 

"Mm. She has gone where I go for almost two years now. Maybe one day I will find out why." Myo-en chuckles. "Crows, like people, do not like to be solitary. They like company and conversation. But sometimes they also annoy one another."

The crow's commentary on that is a dismissive croak. Having reached Myo-en's shoulder and tucked itself up under the rain-shelter formed by her hat, it cocks its head and inspects Maiya out of both glittering black eyes, one at a time.

((Yes, we can start moving end-wards! Sorry for being such a slowpoke.))

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am 

(You're absolutely fine!)

"Well, she seems alright. Never seen a bird be so friendly with someone before."

Maiya doesn't look too closely at the bird. It's a bird. She was too used to paying attention to people and watching out for hostile creatures. It would help if she were better at the latter however.

"Ja, let's keep moving. Ano, and thanks. It's boring to patrol without some company."