It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Post subject: [D13, EE] Friendship is a Two-Way Street (open)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:54 am 

Having had a bite to eat for dinner, Yukarin left the Crab embassy to walk down the street; The wind was chill, and the atmosphere of the city on edge, but there was still something about the freedom of being able to walk out as the sun set and stretch her legs before she would finish packing.

Bundled up a bit, she walked towards the south, the crowds still pretty thick from all the refugees, despite the city no longer being under siege. Still, despite the crowd, Yukarin spotted a bland looking man amongst it and immediately turned to walk towards him, hands tucked in her sleeves as she approached.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

Post subject: Re: [D13, EE] Friendship is a Two-Way Street (open)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:06 am 

Having heard that the imposing army was marching away from the city, Degarashi had decided to get to work on receiving travel permissions for his convoluted scheme towards his ultimate career. Unfortunately, in order to expedite the process, it meant the poor Scorpion had to run back and forth between embassies trying to bridge the gaps of bureaucracy.

It was in between such runs, as he was exiting the Scorpion embassy, that he noticed a familiar looking Crab woman making her way intently towards him.

How she could pick him it of a crowd was a complete mystery, but he bowed as she got close, just in case.

"Konbanwa Yukarin-sama, how have the fortunes blessed you this day?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:17 am 

Bowing deeply, Yukarin gave soft smile, "I never really got to talk to you after the play the other day, Degarashi-sama. In fact, I don't think we've talked in any significant amount since Toshi no Omoidoso. ...how have you been?"

She stepped near the wall of the building to keep out of most of the foot traffic, even if it wasn't THAT crowded. Hopefully she wasn't interrupting the Scorpion on his way to somewhere important.

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:30 am 

*Uncommonly busy for one such as myself. I do apologize for the lack of contact, the days really seem to have gotten away from me." He returned the bow and stepped aside along with her, depositing a scroll into a pouch within his obi.

"You seem to have thoroughly enjoyed your role in the play. You got so carried away I feared that I'd convinced you I was truly a villain!" He chuckled softly, carefully rubbing at his chest. "I actually felt that strike, if only barely, through my costume. Someone should really suggest to Sara-sama that she should use fukuroshinai rather than bokken next time..."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:33 am 

A bit of a blush touched Yukarin's cheeks, "Yes, I did get a bit too into my role, perhaps. And Shosuro-sama told me to not even get close to hitting you with the bokken, just swing in your general direction... But you really are a very good actor, Degarashi-sama. Both in comedy and otherwise. I truly believe that."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 am 

"Such seems to be a popular opinion since my arrival here, and you have my thanks for the praise. I will strive to be worthy of it as I take my art to the Dragon." He patted the scroll he'd tossed into his obi moments ago.

"Don't apologize for getting too into character, however, at least not to a Butei like myself. I find it a most wonderful sensation to lose oneself in the moment, and few others ever come close to understanding it as I do."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 am 

Her smile spread a little, "Maybe you can come to Crab lands some time too. Though I suppose I don't know how long I'll be there after I get back. I should think things will be very busy... "

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:50 am 

"They very well could be, yes. But if I find reason to be among the Crab I shall attempt to seek you out, if that's what you're getting at?" Degarashi raised a curious eyebrow as Yukarin trailed off, but didn't inquire further. "The Crab do seem like they'd be receptive to my particular style of art."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:22 am 

Snapping back a little, she gave a small nod, "Hai, I suspect so. Same with the Unicorn that are left in the Empire. Maybe all the more so if this whole thing turns into all out war; At least the Crab and Unicorn understand the value of humor and inspiration in troubled times, after all."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:40 am 

"Yes, indeed." Degarashi was silent for a few moments, then turned to look up into the sky. "Someone suggested I try for a position as an instructor in the Butei schools of the Shosuro." Part of him wanted to ask why Yukarin had been so distant just now, but he felt the distraction might be more welcome than a probing question.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 am 

The smile returned a bit, "I think that's a great idea. I would even recommend you myself, if my word carried any weight in such decisions. As to myself, I am curious as to what I should do next. Besides my duty that is; The Crab certainly won't have any trouble deciding what that should be I imagine."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 am 

"I hadn't considered the idea until it was brought up by the Dragon ambassador. I imagine if she decides to offer her word, the posting might be forthcoming."

Turning back to Yukarin, Degarashi decided to ask what was on his mind. "Is everything okay, Yukarin-sama? You seem a touch less energetic than I remember."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:45 am 

"I am... fine, I suppose. If any of my energy is missing, you can blame war shock, or whatever one calls it. Seeing the remains of Matsu-sama and Asako-sama and... well, stuck up like trophies was certainly more to take in than gutting a chicken or putting down a horse with a horrific injury. It was for me, at least. And then... the air in this city, the mood."

She motioned around, leaning in a little bit, "Can you not feel it? The sense of unrest? The anger, the ill ease that is more than just the fact that there's still an army of murderous spirits out there?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:49 am 

Degarashi nodded silently, though he wasn't as affected as Yukarin was, he knew precisely what she meant. "Hai, Yukarin-sama, I feel it. Though I'm no expert, I am aware that the influences of the realms are pervasive, and to suffer a siege of those so thoroughly touched by Toshigoku... it will pervade the area for some time to come. This," he gestured around them, "could have been so much worse. Though I imagine that's of little consolation."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:15 am 

"I would still not be in the best of moods even if the area were not like this. I suppose, either way, I should probably get more used to such things, being a Crab now. Their lands are likely no stranger to gore, dead bodies, losing those you care for... not to mention spiritual maladies that effect people and the land."

She sighed, "Yasuki lands did seem fairly normal while I was there, but my duty is to the Clan as a whole, not just the Family I married into."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:38 am 

Degarashi slowly folded his arms into his sleeves, expression taking on a carefully neutral composition. He'd always been quite good at reading subtext, and the focus of Yukarin's concerns had a very specific theme.

"I lost my brother, amidst all this wanton destruction." It was an invitation to speak, in some manner, to what he suspected was troubling her.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:42 am 

Her eyebrows went up a little bit, though not too much. She seemed to hesitate to speak again for a moment before doing so with obvious hesitation, "Have... you... have you had time to properly grieve his passing amongst all of this?"

She had to ask, though she somehow thought she should know the answer.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 am 

He shook his head. "Not even remotely. I've been hip deep in many bottles of alcohol, as well as some more," he looked away briefly, "vigorous methods of escaping my grief. Each has helped briefly, but only for a short time. I should say I've handled the matter quite poorly overall."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:49 am 

"I see. ...perhaps I am not so much of a failure in that way then."

She said this in a soft enough voice that it was almost hard to hear over the noise of the city.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:10 am 

Degarashi pursed his lips, then sighed. "Ah, you've not been handing yourself so well either." He chewed his lower lip, considering how to proceed. "We are alive, Yukarin-sama. Life means failure, pain, and grief. But it also means success, joy, and friendship. In my poor attempts at coping I found others doing the same. For some the vice was different, others I shared their vice, and others still held only virtue. Of those, the ones who shared my pain and my mistakes most closely became closer still, and now help me to share the weight. If you feel yourself less burdened hearing of my troubles, perhaps it would be best to share them in full."

He smiled, and leaned a little closer. "After all, I could always use another friend."