It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:13 pm

Post subject: The Sting of Frustration [D13, EM, Private]
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:33 am 

Grumbling. Growling. Snarling. Twitching. Dry, bloodshot eyes peeked out from beneath mildly tangled hair, where it had become plastered to Degarashi's face after drying from the bath waters. His gait was tense and wooden, his clothes slightly disheveled, and his path of travel uneven, but determined. The light of the sun hadn't quite overtaken the city yet, but it was fast approaching, and that meant the night was over.

It meant, after a fashion, that Degarashi was on his way to see Sukima.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: The Sting of Frustration [D13, EM, Private]
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 am 

Sukima herself was yawning, her hair still in a braid after a night that had served mostly to get on her nerves. Some parts of her plans had gone into motion, at least, but she wasn't sure how much that made up for.

She looked out of where the partition opened into a small garden outside, squinting at the early light. Too early. She wasn't used to this sleep schedule after several days of sleeping and waking later.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:47 am 

Still on his steadily ambling warpath, Degarashi made the final turns towards Sukima's room, quickly spotting her in the doorway.

Without a moment of hesitation, he marched right up to her room...

Athletics: 6d10o10k3 31

Hoisted Sukima up over his shoulder, stomped into her room, and slammed the door shut so hard it could be heard in Toshi Ranbo.

/FTB

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:14 am 

/fbi

Sukima rested on him with her head tucked into the crook of his neck. After a long moment of comfortable silence, she finally asks, a little amusement in her voice, "Tough night?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:18 am 

He inhaled deeply, then let out a long, weary sigh. "Quite. Had a rather interesting conversation with a Sparrow that ended in... disappointment."

He peeks at her with one eye open. "You?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:27 am 

"Came within a hair's breadth of murdering my cousin. You know how it goes," she replied with a sigh. "Still, unfortunate it ended that way."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:30 am 

"Damn, don't get my hopes up like that." He chuckled softly. "Still, didn't imagine she was that dense. I'll not ask what she said. I'm just glad the frustration is... significantly decreased now."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 am 

"Oh, but I want to talk about it!" She replied with fake brightness, lifting her head to look at him before nearly growling. "She brought up Kato's lie about my brother's son to my face as if it was just a fact."

She sighed and dropped head head back to its previous position. "I'm still kind of mad about it."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:07 am 

Degarashi pinched the bridge of his nose and groaned in a wholly different tone than he had some minutes before. "That child needs to watch her tongue, there are forces on the move she doesn't have a prayer against."

He looked to Sukima, eyes serious. "My tortoise friend tells me he has been asked to handle matters regarding those too keenly interested in following whoever stands against the rightful heir to the throne. A Miya, supported by the Otomo."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:54 am 

She frowned, though she does seem to settle down a little. "He was suggesting a couple of Imperials are standing against the rightful heir,? Or that they're the ones who asked him to keep an eye on people doing so?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 am 

"Oh, they stand with the heir, but are violently opposed to anyone that chose a different side, and have asked members of the tortoise to 'sink a few ships following the wrong paths' along the way. It's aggressive, and though Horo isn't an easy target, her behavior still makes her one, and her status..." It wasn't hard to see the sort damage that could follow if the girl so readily believed Kato's words.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 am 

Sukima pressed her palm to her face. "I tried to discourage Otomo-sama from going full purge. I can't say it's necessarily a bad plan for securing power if the keep it at least somewhat low key, but she is making herself a target. Of course, Rumiko had to go and make us a target, too, the little idiot."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:27 am 

"At least you can find some small solace in knowing this so early in the game, rather than some few months down the line. Really, the things people say when you're a companionable fellow." He grinned at the reference to their first discussion, before he'd known Sukima's strengths and her... weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:47 am 

"I- appreciate how willing people are to talk to you," she complimented with a smile. "I can hopefully mute their efforts to some degree into assassinations and repressions rather than a slaughter like in Otosan Uchi a few years ago."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:56 am 

"With any luck you'll be appreciating it for some time yet. I walk a dangerous line with my work, doing what I do. It makes the idea of vying for the position of instructor that much more appealing." He flicked his gaze at Sukima. "Imagine what you could accomplish with a hundred more of me."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:14 am 

"If I had to gain their loyalty the same way, I'd be exhausted," she replied with a grin. Sure, this wasn't how they had actually gained a respect for one another, but it was fun anyway. "Which reminds me, what do you think Saprrow-san would like as a gift?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:17 am 

"If you intended to gain their loyalty the same way I might find myself...envious." The sudden question about Chihaya was a welcome distraction from wherever his mind had just tried going. "Chihaya-san? I honestly have no idea. Stories about yams perhaps, but most of my interactions with her are quite... particular."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 am 

She looked at him with some surprise in her expression, which closed into worry and thoughtfulness. The Sparrow was a welcome distraction for her, as well. "Hmmm... I'll have to come up with something. Though that may end with me amusing myself with the gift."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am 

Degarashi waved a dismissive, bemused hand. "Oh feel free. I might not be able to make heads or tails of my interactions with her but the one word which can reliably be applied to them is amusing. Especially if it involves complimenting her."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:06 am 

She rubbed her chin. "Maybe an orchid..."