It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 124  Next
 Post subject: Re: Out of Character Chat
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:20 am 

I definitely feel like once you learn a system well, it is difficult to get into something else. Lots of little growing pains, or even tweaks you see form the old game that would make the new game better.

Carries: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Yumi (on back)
Rides: Ti-Lu

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 am 

100% that Mei. I'd like to do some of that with L5R's latest version, and definitely with Shadowrun 6E... I'd use a lot of older edition items from 3rd to 5th to change 6E a lot.

Using other systems of late has shown me how well 4th edition L5R worked overall. I have my gripes and there are bits I'd tweak, and I do like some of what changed for the latest edition, but it's a very solid system compared to many. Some just seem to break, become overly complex, not enable the feel of the game or world, require lots of house rules or all of the above.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:46 am 

I ADORE 5th edition Legend of the Five Rings, but there is NO WAY I could ever run one on a PbP. I may be able to play in one, but still. There is just so much tracking that makes it a huge hassle and headache in the forum environment.

I pretty much only get to play RPGs via FallenAsh too :(

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:02 am 

What do you like about 5th? What are all the pros, especially over 4th?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:08 am 

I have looked over the new L5R system, and adapted a little to 4th, but I also prefer 4th. As you note, it's a good system.

What I like about 5th is the focus on the meanings behind the Rings. Also, rituals being available for all, not just shugenja.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 am 

The different approaches are awesome. Allows for a lot more flexibility in characters. You arn't hosed because your Air ring is a 2 for example. But, if you always pick your best ring, it also limits you in other ways. Pretty nifty.

I like that dueling is now pretty much based off a Kata instead of just a school tech, so a lot more people are able to use it.

Strife is unique, and really adds to the roleplaying aspect. It's hard to keep your emotions in check at all times, and its a nice way to represent it.

Rituals are cool and show how pious the society is.

Not every school is an exact copy of the other school since you have freedom in how you advance. It's like a little tech tree.

Titles are super cool. Basically paths/advanced classes that you gain without having to give up your original school.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:31 am 

Can I create a character toooo?

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:48 am 

Whew. Pushed my luck in the Toshigoku event, and managed to, by my count, get us to 20, so we don't have the worst result.

Oh, and one thing that I realized I hadn't mentioned, with his coughing, I have been recovering from something (not Covid, something else), and it leaves me coughing a lot. When I write in a cough, it is because at the moment I was writing, I actually started to cough.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:54 am 

Yasuki Yukarin wrote:
Can I create a character toooo?

Well.....

I am going to be running a game of 4th ed in the 5th ed timeline, with all new schools and such. It won't be 5th ed in feel, but it will certainly be something new to all of us and should offer some fun new things to shake up 4th ed.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:22 am 

Isawa Hachi wrote:
Whew. Pushed my luck in the Toshigoku event, and managed to, by my count, get us to 20, so we don't have the worst result.

Oh, and one thing that I realized I hadn't mentioned, with his coughing, I have been recovering from something (not Covid, something else), and it leaves me coughing a lot. When I write in a cough, it is because at the moment I was writing, I actually started to cough.

My hearts.

*offers banana*

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:03 pm 

Just wondering...did someone heal the Kitsu Daimyo when she came back from the rescue mission? She keeps talking about not being able to successfully do stuff in her current state, and I was wondering if that meant wound penalties, or if she's just plum tuckered out.

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:08 pm 

Could be tuckered, could be depression. She's obviously down, but how much? Was she depressive before these occurences?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm 

She got healed for like, 30 I think. She has been depressed before the events of D11, basically ever since she first opened the portal against Kyuden Asako.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:17 pm 

Miya Mei wrote:

Well.....

I am going to be running a game of 4th ed in the 5th ed timeline, with all new schools and such. It won't be 5th ed in feel, but it will certainly be something new to all of us and should offer some fun new things to shake up 4th ed.

This interests me. Nice pitch Mei. I definitely like what they did with sprucing up the timeline with a refresh, diversifying the cast and subverting expectations with the story.

Hachi - you saved us! Well done! Pinch hitter Hachi!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:32 pm 

I'm one of these weird people that like to sit down with a core rulebook and learn a new system. Usually by making a character and trying things out on my own. :lol:

5e L5R isn't one I've been terribly fond of though. At least from a character creation point of view, but for me personally that stems a lot from the restrictrions I feel in creation. It's a lot of A or B scenarios, or the "must have three different types of Advantages and three different types of Disadvantages" that don't really jive with me.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:35 pm 

The new 20 questions in Path of Waves helps with that a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:53 pm 

Kaiu Maiya wrote:
Sorry for the lack of replies the last few days. A bit of an ebb combined with having to create two characters for Discord games. I succeeded, but it took a surprising amount of time!

Now I have Dallis Brightmore, the cleric of St Cuthbert, and a face adept in 6E shadowrun. I can't say I'm thrilled with Shadowrun 6E yet, but I'll keep playing.

I definitely miss how familiar I am with L5R 4th compared to other systems. Does anyone else feel that way sometimes? Such a pain to flick through an entirely new system and entirely learn from scratch how combat and magic and everything works. I wish I could do it faster!

There is a reason I am adopting L5R RnK for Battletech instead of using the official system. :/

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 pm 

Those crazy dice on 5e turn me off. I confess.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:41 pm 

Crazy dice don't bother me anymore after having played Star Wars for a while.

In fact, I've missed the Star Wars system a lot this time around, since it allows for very good team play.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:43 pm 

Yeah. Failed your roll? You can still spend opportunity to make your friends roll better, or add something to the scene that can help. Usually though you only need one person pass a test in a group.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 124  Next