It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Day Twelve - Late Afternoon] Neighbourhood Watch
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:30 am 

"Yes. The Imperial Legions will no doubt be brought to bear," she said. "Their might is is considerable, so ... if the armies do not move southward to follow the force of Toshigoku, then it is in their capable hands." Whether she thought they could do it? Well, she didn't actually think about it. With the forces of slaughter gone, it would be outside of her immediate concerns.

"But Mirumoto-sama, you are no doubt right. There will be work for everyone. This brief respite is only that. Brief." She glanced towards the Miya and simply nodded. "There has been a great deal of discussion in many directions, yes. I imagine the Governor will probably step in to address the court soon." There was a definite note of 'I should hope she does' there. She'd been very much not present in the various courts lately.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:39 am 

"Ano..." she murmured at first before she gave a look over at the Imperial woman and her Miya mon. "Is it just the Empress and the Steel Chrysanthemum? A few days ago, there were Miya messengers who are arrived on behalf of the Voice of the Emperor, I believe? They mentioned something about a third candidate for the Throne as the Empress's own child was not worthy of the throne due to the nature of their birth."

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:43 am 

"A power grab by the late Emperor's brother. No one can verify his announcement, but similarly no one can truly refute it either. It is despicable."

Mei looked angry at the thought.

Carries: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Yumi (on back)
Rides: Ti-Lu

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:49 am 

"Yes, I was present for the announcement as were several others. I do not pretend to know the affairs of those so far above my station, but I must imagine that the Emerald Magistrates and the Imperial Court will almost certainly show the truth of it soon, yes -sama? The Emperor's Justice will be metted out soon enough, regardless." Again, she didn't exactly care. One emperor or another... someone sat on the throne, though she wasn't partially fond of the Steel Chrysanthemum.

"The legions of toshigoku will have to be dealt with first, unfortunately. I can't imagine their presence makes this easy to put a conclusion to."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 am 

"I agree, wolf, though without putting down the dissenting voices, they will only grow that much stronger once the usurper is dealt with."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:15 am 

Wasako was perhaps surprised to hear that Mei disagreed with the bid, considering she heard from another Imperial that this was the only one that mattered. It seemed the Imperial were also divided in the matter... "Hai, I guess one business dealt first before another," she nodded gravely as she gave a glance to the streets.

She might have poked more into the political matter but there was likely enough of it in the courts and last time she was given a thorough explanation, she could only look to Agasha Peomu for her response. "It's been an interesting time here, at the very least."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 am 

"Interesting..."

Mei smirks.

"You are a model of your clan, Mirumoto-san."

She pauses and looks at both of them for a moment, cold and calculating.

"What of your allegiances? Do you believe the lies Seppun Kato has wove?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:28 am 

"When the steel is done clashing, the war of words and the battle of the fans will begin in earnest," she said, nodding. "And when that begins, I will humbly allow my betters to make the decisions that must be. A ronin is only rarely permitted the occasional presence in court." Like lately, oddly... but she was imagining that was because of the governor's lack of presence.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:09 am 

She tilted her head slightly, wondering if that was a compliment or otherwise. It certainly wasn't a riddle she was posing, that's for sure.

"Well...I can't say that I'm very learned in political matters, Miya-san. My place usually in the Northern Wall Mountain and reclused from the south. I usually find myself following with Agasha Poemu-sama's view. The Empire would benefit much from stability at the moment and the Empress does already stand on a solid foundation. It would seem most natural if the heir would be from her. I only speak from instinct, however."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:21 am 

"Your instincts are well honed, Mirumoto-san."

Mei looks back ahead of the group, up the road and at the surrounding people and buildings.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:33 am 

"It is a solid enough intuition." She mentally shrugged and looked down the streets for a moment before sighing. "But one way or another, the throne will be resolute and soon enough we will have that stability. I suppose we are left to control the damage for the time being."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:09 am 

It perhaps sounded awkward but if here bushi instincts were going to be validated as political instincts by an Imperial, would take it as a win at this point. "Thank you, minisan," she said with a quick bow.

"At least, I do find myself slightly looking forward to what this stability might mean and look like. Hopefully, it would make the Empire a more receptive place." Even if just for a few years.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:51 am 

“What hardships have the two of you been facing that you would like to see fixed?”

Mei’s voice and expression show a genuine concern

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:22 am 

She raised her brows at the question, wondering what sort of poll the Miya might be taking, especially when they were samurai of no import. The ronin even less so. "Being so secluded from most of the Empire, I suppose we've learned to make do with what we have. There isn't particularly much in the mountains, to begin with. We don't particularly see a harvest season until one month after most of the Empire. As for here, I would just like to see the refugees here return to their home or a home."

Last edited by Mirumoto Wasako on Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:00 am 

"My hardships are nothing to speak of and worry about. Nothing worse than a couple arrow wounds that could be healed," she said with a dismissive wave of the hand, and the other injustices of her existence were nothing anyone could ever change. No, that was beyond repair. "But there is much that will require repair in this place, Miya-sama. At least that is something my prayers are good for."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:17 am 

"Those are all good things to be concerned about, but I am thinking larger. My lord is the Imperial Advisor, and if I hear more of what the citizens of the Empire are concerned about, it gives me solid concerns that I can relay outside of court. Think for a moment. With no repercussions, what systems do you think need change or improving? Or even, what restrictions would you like to see put in place?"

Mei motions toward a Lion guard nearby.

"For example. I have heard from some that the Lion are too strong now, and with an Empress of the Matsu, they are concerned that the power will only grow."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:36 am 

She turned to look at the Lion guard, sparring the thought a moment of consideration. Now that the Miya mentioned, it did seem that things were rather Lion-centric. It was obvious to most people in the Empire but she had just recently come down from the mountains herself. "I suppose it would be perhaps right if the Lion were less entrenched into everything in the Empire...Although, if not them, I think there would be another Clan who would take greater favour with the Throne. Is that how usually works? Despite being a Dragon, I don't know if I would be best for the Empire if it were my Clan and I don't think I'm aware enough to nominate another..."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 am 

There was a momentary tightness in Mari's features. The offer was a grand gesture, all things considered, and one that Mari did not believe that she was capable of fulfilling. If the Imperial Adviser herself had offered it, perhaps she could believe that they could fulfill almost any promise, but the word of the Emperor could not turn back the flow of time, could not undo the damage already wrought by a predecessor on that same throne. No, she had no idea what she promised.

"The Lion's star has fallen farther than they let on. The lands that they acquired so many years ago have been taken from them. The influence of one lifetime will not change this fact. I am content with the state of their power, Miya-sama. The throne will be occupied and there will be law in the land again soon." A shake of her head. "I ... am equally comfortable with my lot as a ronin. There will always be inequities of power as one star rises and falls. They shift like the waves against the shore. I need only time and the means to complete my pilgrimage."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:44 am 

Mei nods and takes both answers into consideration. She is silent for a time before posing another question.

"What of laws and...hmmm. How to say...Status quo? Do you feel taxes are fair? or, for example, when determining guilt the one who has higher status, or has proven their innocents via a duel is used, since we know a Samurai is Honest. What of travel bans, or the requirement for specific traveling papers? Is that system sound? Come now, I can hardly do my duty to petition others if everyone just says Things are grand!"

She chuckles and smiles at both of them.

Last edited by Miya Mei on Sun May 03, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:56 pm 

She gave a shrug of her shoulders. "I don't know if I have much to say about taxes...We are rather sustaining and do little to export out. I suppose we do pay them and we perhaps don't see the effects of them locally but they likely do go to the rest of the Dragon lands and especially toward the border management to and from the Empire. There was a bit of fuss when it comes to managing my travels here and understandable that the Lion would be guarded, I could the same for my Clan. It would be nice if there were more freedoms for individual samurai but I perhaps only speak selfishly when it comes to my future aspirations."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next