It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Post subject: [Day Twelve - Early Morning] Some Unfortunate News
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:10 pm 

It was strange to wake up without wounds to show for, thanks to the aid she received from the kami. Usually, the bumps, bruises and scrapes from sparring would be an indicating of where she could improve. She was thankful for it but it almost made her wonder if everything yesterday was a dream. That was unfortunately not the case, people were lost and there was much she could improve on.

Emerging from the hastily reinforced Dragon embassy, she made her way toward the Lion embassy. Wasako didn't bring a white kimono with her but wear a white tied cloth around her arm. She made her presence known and sought out Akodo Touki

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

Post subject: Re: [Day Twelve - Early Morning] Some Unfortunate News
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:20 pm 

A servant brought Wasako to a small sitting room. He also brought her some tea. It wasn't great; Lion were not known for their tea quality after all.

She did not have to wait long. Within a minute, the door slid open, and Touki stepped through. He was already dressed and shaved for the day, not a thread out of place in his slightly misfit kimono.

He bowed to Wasako. "Mirumoto-sama. This is a surprise. What brings you here this morning?" His eyebrows, having first drawn up in pleased surprise, then drew down in concern as he spotted the white cloth tied around her arm.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:20 pm 

The Dragon wasn't exactly picky about tea. Sometimes tea got cold from long days of training or they had to ration their supply in the long winter. She waiting patiently, thankful for the hospitality that had been provided by the Lion. Hospitality had been splendid during her stay, it was just unfortunate the circumstances were dire with many desperate souls involved on both sides.

When Touki appeared, she did rise to greet him in return with a bow. Her gaze did linger on Touki's outfit to see if there was anything that reflected the day's events. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody had kept Touki in the loop and that was part of the reason why she was here. "Good morning, Akodo-san. It has been sometime since we've last truly spoke. I don't think we were able to get much of a word in during court...I suppose I've come here to speak to you...Say we sit and have some of this tea first?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:47 pm 

"Indeed not. A shame. I have enjoyed our conversations, even if they are often brief." Touki half-smiled, inclining his head to her.

The concerned frown returned. Carefully, he knelt down. The servant had poured a cut for Wasako; Touki took over the duties of host, and poured himself a cup, topping off the rest of Wasako's.

He took a sip, grimacing gently. "As you, wish, Mirumoto-sama. Although, if you have important news..." He smiled again, just a little. "Have you ever been expecting a great blow, and then found that the anticipation of the injury was worse than the injury itself?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:22 pm 

I do kind of wish that we could meet on more pleasant occasions...

Wasako bowed in thanks for the pour of tea, as well as in apology. "Sumimasen, Akodo-san. It's not my intention to keep you waiting. As you've said, this is important...perhaps, more necessary. I'm more than aware of the feeling you're talking about and it can be torturous.." she said rubbing her forearm, like she was nursing an old injury.

She placed her hands together in a somewhat anxious gesture, not knowing how to present this or where to start. However, she might have delayed the new enough with her appearance alone. "Uhm, so...I had joined an operation that we were to retrieve Matsu Tani from the enemy, she was strung to a banner and used as some twisted object. Kitsu Izumi wanted to help us and transported right behind enemy lines. I was there with Togashi Tsukimi, Soshi Tameaki and Bayushi Setsuna, too."

There was a pause taken to let that sink in. She looked at the cup of tea and figured that she should take a sip before continuing, speaking with a grave expression. "...only Kitsu-dono and I managed to make it back... "

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:12 pm 

His eyes traced the motion as she rubbed her forearm. Touki frowned, but did not ask.

"Oh." Touki blinked. His normally blank features looked... perhaps extra-blank might be how one would describe them. After a few moments, he sighed. "That's terrible news, Mirumoto-sama. Especially in the wake of so many other losses."

He grimaced down at his tea, taking a sip, then brushing one hand across his face. He looked back up at Wasako. "I had the honor to fight alongside Togashi-san. She impressed me with both her courage and her abilities. She was an honor to your clan." He inclined his head to her. "Was Matsu Tani lost as well?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 pm 

"Hai, the honoured Togashi Tsukimi-san was very much a talented monk and I was indeed grateful to have met her," she nodded deeply, biting back a breath in. "I'd like to think that she was destined for great things, our Champion seemed to have hinted as such about her. She was the one who brought Matsu-sama down from her prison above and carried her toward safety...I went too far ahead and in my haste, lost sight of them."

She shook her head, as she cannot imagine what sort of things could have happened, especially if their enemy was indeed from Toshigoku.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:48 am 

Touki frowned. "It may be then that they are still alive. They took Matsu Tani prisoner once. Even if for a most foul purpose." His expression didn't change, but his hands, down at his sides, clenched briefly. "If not, we shall know soon enough."

He looked at her. "What of Bayushi Setsuna? The same?" He didn't recognize the other name; no sense in asking about him.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:53 am 

Wasako looked off to consider Touki's words. It was perhaps a glimmer of hope but she couldn't be entirely sure. Perhaps they would keep Matsu Tani alive, they had before. The others weren't as nearly important and it seemed doubtful...

She looked back and nodded. "Perhaps it would be best to wait for a sign, at least."

She drew in a breath before answering, feeling the gravity of the news that she was about to share with the Lion. "The honoured Bayushi-san...They aided in getting Kitsu-dono back to the castle and I only helped them when they had taken enough injuries from the pursuing returned souls. We had gotten rather close but ultimately, they collapsed and died from their injuries," she said before bowing deeply to offer her condolence. With the number of times Setsuna had mentioned Touki, even in a pitched battle, she could only assume that they were close.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:44 am 

"Oh." Touki said again.

After a few moments, he sighed. "It's strange. Less than two weeks ago, I had no idea who they were. I still don't, not really. Except that they had a desire to defeat me over... some matter in the past. I was just resigning myself to be eternally challenged." He smiled gently, shaking his head. "I think I will miss them, in a strange way. I hope..." He trailed off shaking his head with a grimace this time. "Nevermind. Thank you for telling me, Mirumoto-sama."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:29 am 

Wasako gave a blink, perhaps expecting it that Touki would take the news badly. Of course, he was a Lion was likely kept his opinions and feelings to himself. It seemed that this Setsuna was merely a passing acquaintance, however...

"Oh," she said in return as well, perhaps equally confused. "I hadn't known much about your relationship with the honoured Bayushi Setsuna. I have met them before and I suppose they hadn't made mention of you but you came up often in the field of battle. So it was a rivalry...It's strange that something would want to challenge you over something you have no idea over. Do you think this person was maybe another Scorpion from your past? Challenges aren't exactly a light matter, at least in the north, especially the sort of bloodshed and injuries that could come of it. And that's only merely non-lethal challenges, too. It's very pecular...but I'm sure the honoured Bayushi Setsuna had very good reasons."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:01 am 

Smiling again, Touki shook his head. "I can't remember. Something that caused them to train, to challenge me again and again, to apparently speak of me on the field of battle, and I have no memory of them before Toshi no Omoidoso."

He sighed. "They told me it was during a training session, between Lion and Scorpion. They were famed for being untouchable, or nearly so. I managed to land a blow, and..." A half-shrug. "It meant little to me, but a great deal to Setsuna."

He smiled, just a little. "In truth, their deeds in this war have impressed me. I shall not forget them again."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:18 am 

"That's very peculiar..." she said with a curious hand on her chin. "I suppose the narrative its more enigmatic that it appears to be. Then again, perhaps it was always meant to be a secret, something that Scorpions like to keep. I suppose we were never meant to know for sure. At the very least, we should at least remember them for their bravery and selflessness. In your case, perhaps more so for their commitment. It's almost...flattering to hear that someone would commit themselves to challenge you."

She couldn't imagine herself in Touki's sandals if she were to meet such a character.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 pm 

Touki shrugged. "Perhaps. I enjoy testing my skill against other samurai, and giving them a chance to display their skill against me. But I take no special joy in defeating others, nor any great shame when I am bested. I found her focus on me more unsettling than flattering."

He smiled again, gently. "But as you say, let us remember Setsuna's bravery and selflessness. And I shall take it as a last challenge to try to equal some of their deeds."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:30 pm 

Wasako took a slow sip from her tea and nodded soundly at that. "Despite being a peculiar acquaintance, you are right to say that the good that the honoured Bayushi Setsuna did should linger in us. People might have certain characteristic but their truest traits are shown in action. Let's both be challenged by that perception and the honoured Setsuna's final deeds indeed," she gave a deep nod at that as if to honour the departed Scorpion.

"I find myself curious, Akodo-san...Did the honour Bayushi Setsuna challenge you in iaijutsu? Or was this another sort of challenge?"