It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:44 pm

Post subject: How do you Sword? [D12, LA, Open]
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:08 am 

Hachi approaches the dojo he had been at not so many days ago. He has a threefold approach this time. First, to make sure the dojo had been cleansed. He trusted the Lion, sure, but still...

Second, to give a moment of memory to the three that he had met here. The Matsu trained as an Akodo, and her budoka. While not as worthy as a samurai was, they had done their duty, and deserved to be remembered. Perhaps they would advance in the next life, to a samurai, or at least a ji-samurai.

And finally, to see if he might be able to learn something. He had no martial skills at all, and the current issues had left him seeking them.

Post subject: Re: How do you Sword? [D12, LA, Open]
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:14 pm 

A shadow filled the doorway of the dojo, signaling the arrival of Kakita Masahiko, his axe slung over his shoulder. The Crane paid his respects to the spirit of the dojo, then waved happily at some of the Lion samurai training there. Finally, he bowed his respects to the Isawa, and, smiling broadly, moved to begin his kata.

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:43 pm 

Hachi observed the Crane's movements. There were obvious similarities to those of the Lion across the room, but differences as well. Hachi frowns slightly, trying to memorize the movements, though actually doing them would probably be a bad idea at his level of training.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:43 pm 

The giant's movements are perhaps not the most elegant example of swordsmanship. After all, he spends much of his time practicing with the ono currently resting against the wall. Soon, he finishes the introductory kata and looks up from his work.

"Enjoying the show, Isawa-sama?" He looks over his shoulder at Hachi before sheathing his sword and executing a formal bow. "I'm Kakita Masahiko of Nikesake, by the way. Good afternoon."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:14 pm 

"Good afternoon. I hope that you have had rice this day. I am Hachi, tensai of the Isawa. And I was curious about some of the differences between your own workout, and that of the Lion samurai. You seemed more into sharp movements, ending abruptly, while they are all, all flowing sort of."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:25 pm 

Masahiko blinked. "Oh. That's because they've got a different style and philosophy of swordsmanship, Isawa-sama. The Crane style tends to be sharper because of Kakita's perfect cut maxim."

He chuckled. "My own style exaggerates that because I'm awfully aggressive and I swing that thing around all the time." He gestured, here, to the ono.

"Are you a student of the sword, then, Isawa-sama? Only, most shugenja I know tend not to focus much of their effort on the martial arts."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:15 am 

"Not at all, actually. But earlier today, it came up between a couple of others I was with, and I was curious. I have no training, and in the current circumstances, that seems... perhaps a little training might be worth it?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:22 pm 

Masahiko began to smile. Masahiko-sensei! Awesome!!

"Well...I can definitely see how you might feel that way, Isawa-sama. But you should understand that the basics might come easily, and the sword can be a comfort, but it can also get you into trouble. No one takes it easy on a beginner in battle, and there are sharks in the courts looking for folks not prepared to duel."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:10 pm 

"I do not wish to be seen as a duelist, or to enter the fray of battle. If I wish to kill a man, I will call on the kami to raise up boulders to crush him. Rather, I wish to know how to survive long enough to do that raising. If that makes sense."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:28 pm 

Masahiko nodded vigorously. "I see, so it is a matter of defense. That is a Daidoji specialty, Isawa-sama. It would be my pleasure to show you the basics. Just get yourself a bokken and we can get right to it."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:45 pm 

Isawa Inugami returned to the dojo to continue working out. He saw his fellow Isawa and the Crane. He nodded to both and continued with what he was working in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:35 am 

Hachi looked at the wall of wooden weapons confusedly. "I know that bokken are wooden swords, but does it matter that those are mostly longer than my wakizashi? I would only have my wakizashi with me, after all."