It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 pm

Post subject: Momentary Peace (Day 12, Early Morning)
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:59 am 

One advantage of a Library losing almost all the books... it tended to clear out a little.

Chihaya took advantage of the relative isolation to get some practice, and maybe clear her mind.

With flute in hand, she played, quietly as she could, though admittedly there were limits to how much you could contain the sound.

It was surprisingly good, though the tune was not well known - at least, not this century. A popular ballad a few centuries hence, it has survived in Sparrow lands, as many things did - repeated faithfully for generations.

Caught up in the music, she did not pay much heed to her surroundings until she had finished.

--------

Flute roll: https://orokos.com/roll/803991

Profile :: Theme

Post subject: Re: Momentary Peace (Day 12, Early Morning)
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:21 am 

One of the advantages of searching the shelves was that the only things left behind were those considered unimportant or frivolous enough to not be worth looking into. There was a remote possibility those contained forgotten, musty tomes that nobody wanted anything to do with, ciphered in cookbooks or the like.

Then again, this was a Lion library, so the frustration that Mari felt simply didn't shock her anymore. There was no likelihood that the kind of tome that she really wanted would be here, was there? No. Those rites... were not something any respecting lion would ever touch. Better to visit Phoenix lands.

As she searched, her ears perked up. That tune. It .... wasn't familiar, but it sounded like a few that they used to play in the lands near home. She'd visited Sparrow lands once or twice. Not often, but they weren't far from home. Walking out of the stacks, she glanced towards the Suzume, not wanting to interrupt as she played. There was something nostalgic about the woman.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 am 

Eventually, Chihaya finished the tune, letting out a long sigh, and then quietly packed the flute back into a soft cloth bag.

Then she rested back in seiza, seeming to contemplate the room, before her gaze eventually fell upon the roniin.

The woman was... familiar, but she wasn't sure she remembered where they had met - or perhaps she had seen her in passing.

Uncertain, she didn't call out in greeting, but rather just looked somewhat puzzled, wracking her memory for clues.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:08 pm 

She approached slowly, smiling to herself as she saw that brief flash in the eyes, the look of someone trying to recognize her. Admittedy, she stood out only because she was a shugenja, not for any other reason. She was used to it, and frankly preferred it. It made it harder to remember details when she did... other things.

Drawing nearer, she bowed. "Sparrow-sensei. That was ... a lovely piece. It sounded a little like old folk pieces I remember from home, or near to home anyway. I hope you do not mind my company."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:18 pm 

The voice helped her put things together.

"Ah... I had not seen you for some time, samurai-san."

She smiled. "I would not mind your company, but I admit, as we do not meet in the dojo this time, I am even less a sensei than before."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:54 pm 

She smiled over and settled into a seat opposite the other, shrugging as she did. "There are many ways in which one can be a sensei, Suzume-sama. I don't mind continuing to call you that, as long as you do not mind it in turn," she said, her voice mild as she regarded her quietly. "It has been a chaotic week. I am glad to see that you remain in good health." Not everyone else had been quite so lucky.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:06 am 

"Hai, not everyone has."

The reminder brought a hint of sorrow, quickly dispelled, or perhaps simply suppressed.

"I have maintained my health, however. In the recent battle, I was not even struck. I have been very fortunate."

She shrugged. "And you? You seem unhurt, but I'm sure this can't be any easier on you?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:35 am 

She barked out a soft laugh. "Arrows barraged the healer's camp and I took two sharp blows that left me staggered on my knees during the fighting two nights ago. If I look unharmed, it is because I have still more tricks up my sleeve, sensei." She smiled over at her and winked. Settling into a more meditative pose, she half closed her eyes.

"Monks are not the only ones who have set a toe on the path of enightenment, though I think to demonstrate the gift I have found in my travels would be considered inappropriate. It is a trick of self healing after all."

One that she was comfortable admitting, despite the dark uses she'd put it to over the more recent years.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 am 

"Well, I won't cast judgment."

She chuckled. "Nor ask you to harm yourself, just to show you can mend the wound."

Ironic, considering what she did not know.

"Still, I am glad you are well - your talents are rare, and I'm certain have been put to good use in these trying times."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:37 am 

The ironies of the way in which she abused the path to enlightenment was certainly not something lost on Mari. She found it rather ... entertaining to do after every occasion she did ... other things.

She chuckled softly and nodded. "Thank you for that kindness, sensei. The prayers of water have been the most common that I have been called to use, either to heal or to offer food to the refugees," she admitted. "My gifts are best in Earth, but there are less need for the blessings of Jurojin or the chance to bind and banish spirits at this time."

Although, admittedly, she wondered if she could banish a spirit of toshigoku... if only she had the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 am 

"Ah, I see."

She nodded.

"Well, I'm glad you are among the defenders - it is always welcome to gain magical healing - any soldier will say the same."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:00 am 

She chuckled a little. "I think we've been in a dire enough situation that nobody seems to mind what mon I wear or do not wear, so long as I am healing them." Even that cold fish of a Yogo. "I've... noticed that you've been making your voice known in the court lately, sensei. I find it... refreshing."

Considering both of them had at least been tacitly backing Kato.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:46 am 

She examined the woman.

"Perhaps... I have."

A soft sigh. "I know my duty - what my lord would require."

Raising an eyebrow, "What makes it... refreshing?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:12 am 

"I ... have to be careful. I do not want to speak out of turn, even if they allow a ronin's words to have some small weight," she said with a sigh, glancing away. "But... the arguments I have heard so often... 'Can we truly resist him? What of the loss of life? Would a true emperor condone such slaughter?' They... are missing a simple fact. The throne is in question. Yes, he needs to be returned to Toshigoku, but then the matter has to be settled, whatever may come. I think... the monster before their eyes is more in their vision, for good or ill, than the reality of the throne."

"It's... good to see someone trying to remind them a little." She wasn't going to bring up the Seppun. That girl was sort of an emotional roller coaster to watch.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:53 pm 

"Hai, there is a difference between compassion and foolishness..."

A soft sigh, and she pressed her hands together, examining them in silence.

"Attempting to spare lives in the moment, but inviting suffering that will last for generations... is not compassion. It is the duty of adults to lay down our lives for our descendants, if need be."

Looking back at the ronin, she added, "That means dealing with the immediate problem, yes, but also those which follow. We cannot save a handful of lives now, just to thrust them into another war immediately after - better to finish it now - no matter the cost."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 pm 

"And better if the second matter be brought swiftly before the emperor's justice, the claims merited and the proper result determined, rather than for us to judge it here and now." That siding with Kato neatly helped guarantee the opposite of that intent because of the inevitable chaos was ... just kind of an added bonus.

"Really, I know that we speak about such things in private confidence, but I am surprised that the words of the refugees would be seen as having much merit right now. Then again, several fled the winter court did they not?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 am 

"Hai, and some of us have served in the departed Hantei's campaigns."

She gave a faint shrug. "So we have some standing, however fleeting."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:57 am 

The mention of that man caused her eyes to narrow in hardness and her lips to set firmly. She had a great deal of hate left in her heart for him, son of heaven or no. But she bit her tongue, holding it back and nodding. "Yes. The heroes of the empire's past and present are still voices that can be heard. I'm grateful that they even listen to a young wolf like me at all."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:34 pm 

Chihaya observed the reaction, and paused, curious what might have happened to make her hate the murdered emperor so much.

She almost asked, and then just shrugged it off.

"I think in times like these, people are happy to hear any voice speaking sense, no matter who."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 pm 

"Perhaps it is that, and ... I'll admit that Agasha-sama putting her name out there the first night I spoke did not hurt either," she said, relaxing a little. The hardness was gone. No matter how good of a liar she was, she wore that pain on her sleeve, and the mention of the dead Hantei was a thing that poked at the raw nerve, even if she didn't want to admit it.

"It has been interesting to meet you, sensei. It makes me wish I visited Suzume lands more often once upon a time."