It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:04 pm

Post subject: Hot Yam Soup (Day 12, EN)
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:29 am 

After several hours happily beating metal scraps into vague approximations of ritual tools, Chihaya had come to clean up.

Humming tunelessly, she scrubbed the soot stains from her clothes, and then herself. Running the soap through her hair, she finally just dumped a bucket of warm water over her own head, sighing peacefully.

Then wrapping in a towel, she made her way to the bath, slipping in to the late bath, freshly warmed.

Ah, that was glorious.

Profile :: Theme

Post subject: Re: Hot Yam Soup (Day 12, EN)
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 am 

Having experienced a measure of frustration attempting to purify the area himself, Degarashi felt the need to cleanse the aches and failures of the day in a hot bath. He lost himself vaguely in the ritual, rinsing and washing with a quiet resolve before slipping into the waters, only to notice that he wasn't alone.

"Eto...konbanwa, Suzume-shoi. I didn't realize you were here as well."

Shit, had he even covered himself properly getting in? He couldn't remember, so he had to hope she hadn't been watching him this whole time.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:22 am 

Luckily for him, Chihaya hadn't felt the compulsion to peek and had politely glanced away when he entered the bath.

As he settled in she smiled sardonically. "You would have me believe you ambush me in the bath by accident, Dergarashi-san? It wouldn't be the first time a Scorpion had said as much to me."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:26 am 

"You have a point there, Chihaya-san, though I doubt the last one tried to stab you with something pleasant."

Degarashi actually blinked at his own words, blushed, coughed, and looked away as he... remembered something.

"Gomen, I doubt you came to the baths to have me waving that in your face." Another wince.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:54 am 

Chihaya raised an eyebrow, lip curling slightly. "That was rather blatant, Degarashi-san, even for you."

Rubbing the bridge of her nose, she added, "I would welcome your company, but only if that is your last such blatant innuendo for the moment."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 am 

"I shall endeavor to mind my... words...a bit more carefully than usual, given the circumstances. It's not my intent to upset you, especially in an environment such as this one."

Degarashi sighed, leaning his head back with his eyes closed.

"Inside the gates or out, there's never a shortage of strange occurrences, is there?"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:34 am 

"Indeed, though I wonder what you mean this time..."

Shaking her head, she added, "You haven't made me uncomfortable - not any more than usual, at least."

The smile that accompanied the comment belied some of the sting it might impart.

"You talked about being naked before each other... I hadn't expected you to be so literal."

Running one hand through her hair, she pulled it down over her left eye socket, making sure it was covered. No need to give him nightmares in addition to whatever other dreams he might have.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:48 am 

One eye popped open to look at Chihaya, though it remained respectfully above the waters. "I meant that in a more exploratory manner, though I suppose this follows the letter of the statement if not the spirit of it."

The eye closed again.

"An ambassador to the Dragon has apparently taken a keen interest in my lack of marriage ties."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:04 am 

"Oh, congratulations! Perhaps you will have opportunity to release that pent up frustration of yours in the near future, if she finds you a bride. I'd request a Togashi, if I were you. I'm sure those tattoos must go all the way down."

A surprisingly wicked grin, as the lad in her overcame her propriety, before she turned her gaze back to steam which filled the air.

"Do you know... why the sudden interest? I doubt it is just your stunning good looks - captivating though they may be."

Perhaps it was just her false feeling of success from earlier that day, but she was being uncharacteristically punchy tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:09 am 

"I assure you my attention doesn't stem from frustration, but you do make an intriguing point. Togashi Degarashi does have a certain ring to it, don't you think?"

After the second jab, Degarashi raised both eyebrows and looked hard at the Sparrow. "Chihaya-san, has someone drugged the water on your side of the baths? That was almost humorous. As for the interest, no, I've no idea whatsoever. She wasn't even aware of my role in the play, so it's likely just some odd hobby of hers."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:39 am 

She looked wounded. "You mean I am not normally amusing?"

Rolling her eye, she placed a hand across her brow, mimicing a fainting motion, and inadvertently rising a little from the water, coming dangerously close to giving him an eyeful.

Then she sank back into the water, veiled by steam, and added, "On a more serious note, after the proclamation Seppun Kato-sama made, I don't doubt every clan is scrambling to secure every connection they can - to be best prepared for the fallout. I would warn you to be careful... but it would be like advising a fish how to swim."

A chuckle. "Or a scorpion, for that matter."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:45 am 

"No offense intended, Chihaya-san, I am merely surprised at your behavior being intentionally humorous." His eyes glittered as he glanced at the Sparrow and, surprisingly, glanced away when she rose up, though she likely missed that in her theatrics.

"You might go as far as suggesting that as a reason I've been so uncommonly busy of late, but I couldn't possibly comment. Besides, you've sampled something of my tendency to live life on the razor's edge. I should fail to be content if I'm not running at full speed with Kato-dono's knife threatening to make a woman of me."

He coughed softly. "It does lead a Scorpion to worry about the Sparrow he's seen flying past, however."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:01 am 

"We Suzume have our place in this matter already decided, I fear."

Her own voice was low, and for a moment, she seemed quite sober indeed.

Then a lopsided smile spread across her features, and she added, "Though I may not be intentionally amusing, I'm glad I can at least provide some diversion from your duties - I may not be what you desire, but I hope I am perhaps what you need."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:13 am 

Degarashi merely nodded to the quiet admission.

"Well, if there were any towards whom I place the trust of deciding what I need versus what I merely desire, it would be you, Chihaya-san, though don't expect me to stop desiring you on the side." He winked playfully.

Then he sighed. "It does my heart good to see you in such a favorable mood, even if your jokes are so archaic even Bayushi himself would mark them outdated."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:17 am 

She quirked her lips, and then stuck out her tongue.

"Nyeeh, to that, Degarashi-san."

More seriously, she added, in a quiet tone, "If your stories to me are true, I don't doubt you have, and have had, many lovers, as a consequence of your efforts."

She tilted her head. "Yet I also think perhaps you have not been blessed with many friends, for much the same reason."

Crossing her arms, she added, sagely, "That is what I think you need, Dega-san, more than you need my body. You need a friend - one you can trust."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 am 

The sigh that came from Degarashi could almost have been mistaken for a gasp of pain, in other circumstances, and he nodded his head without lowering his gaze from the ceiling.

"You are correct, Chihaya-san. Though I've not known nearly so many women as you might think, being a Scorpion, I can but count those who have known me, man or woman, on the fingers of a single hand. And the longer I am around them, and you, the less I feel the old, weary weight of my mind and body."

He chewed his lip for a moment, hesitating with a thought. "I know I promised not to twist words, but a strange thought has occurred to me, that should I ever...partake...of your body, I'd like to do so as an act of friendship, not of lust."

He shook his head and resumed his skyward vigil. "What a strange notion indeed."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 am 

That brought a laugh from somewhere deep inside, a heartfelt mirth which rocked her head back as she let it pass through her.

After a moment, she composed herself, and said, "That was both strangely sweet and amusingly lecherous."

Something he had said came back to her, and she allowed the question of 'man or woman' slide from her mind without ceremony.

"I was not joking, however - I am certain if there was one you were required to seduce, you could not give to that person trust... no spiritual intimacy - only physical. There is something to be said for a confidant."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 am 

"What can I say," he said, "I am a man of unique talents to achieve such sweet lechery."

Degarashi grunted seriously, letting his arms float idly in the waters. "Too true, Chihaya-san, too true. Such an order creates a necessary distance between myself and who I might end up with. Trust - honest trust - is a rare and terribly precious commodity. It is a thing that, if found, might turn a Scorpion against his fellows, should their stingers find themselves pointed at the wrong target for the wrong reasons..."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:08 pm 

A soft laugh.

"Perhaps, but it also would might be something which might persuade a sparrow to intercede, when another hunter went after the scorpion."

She shrugged, and added, dryly, "You have to decide for yourself what sort of trust you dare bestow. I respond to what I have seen - what I believe I still see, underlying your facades."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:24 pm 

Degarashi drummed his fingers against the wall of the bath, evem more thoughtful and careful about what he might say to the Sparrow in response.

"I would be... pleased, let's say, to have such a companion to confide in. Though, if I had something I felt worthy of your attention, I might need to be uncomfortably close for but a moment to do so. Bath house walls are slippery, and there's no telling how many words might slip on them."