It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's Tay A Tom Ay [D12, LM, Expecting]
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:54 am 

Degarashi made a face that was equal parts humor, pain, derision, and resignation, and only just managed to avoid scoffing outright. "I suppose it's not especially common knowledge but my brother's betrothed originally was my betrothed. After some complications with my gempukku ceremony the arrangement was changed, and another has yet to be tendered in its place. I am," he gestured vaguely at himself, "completely unattached to anyone beyond my lord."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:34 am 

The Dragon shook her head softly. "That adds a new level to the story of Toshi no Omoidoso then I see. I am surprised that a talented butei such as yourself has yet to have anyone arranged to them yet however. I admit, this isn't the best of times for such things, though the siege HAS lifted."

Poemu paused for a nibble and sip, letting it all hang in the air a moment. "Ah, but I am certain I could help, if Bayushi-san needed. I'm not a nakodo of course, but I have my connections. Perhaps a young Dragon maiden? I am certain that I could find one that would appreciate a butei."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:57 am 

Degarashi was very, very silent after that. Normally commentary about his marital status, or the lack thereof, was met with derision and taunting laughter. It had been such a long time since anyone had even considered the matter seriously regarding him that he'd simply written it out of his mind altogether.

"Ie...ano," he winced, "I mean...I hadn't considered..." He started to gradually deflate inwards. Yet another trek into uncharted territory for the actor. "I have heat to no political value to anyone..."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:08 am 

The objection was easily waved away. "The Dragon are hardly the Imperial families or the Crane. Many from my clan marry based on talent and skill, or even by Benten's blessing."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:21 am 

Ever more red in the face, Degarashi took a few distracting sips from his tea. "I certainly haven't been blessed by the fortunes in any way I've noticed, and I'm less talented than I am heavily trained..." He coughed into his sleeve sheepishly. "Nnn, that probably makes me sound more appealing to a Dragon, not less, doesn't it?"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:38 am 

Poemu's head tilted softly, and a befuddled smile crossed her face. "Bayushi-san is quite modest indeed. Most are not blessed, and many are trained, but many still get married, not few. You have already shown me a touch of your acting ability, and it seems quite well practiced to me."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:45 am 

He sighed. "Rehearsed for the better part of ten years, Agasha-sama. I'm barely three years removed from my gempukku ceremony at present, and have little practical knowledge of the world at large." Degarashi gestured at the table and the awkwardly crafted gift. "Present examples reside before you. Where even would you begin to place one such as myself?"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:13 am 

"Bayushi-san... there is modest, and then there is despondent. Perhaps the carving is not a master work, but it is still well done, and shows your dedication. Many arranged marriages are made only three years after a gempukku, and really, many before." Poemu's look kept that same befuddled smile.

"As for where you could go, that is quite easy; wherever you wished. There are limits of course, the Dragon are not THAT open minded, but certainly there is always a need for more courtier's in the Dragon. I know the Crane and Phoenix at least often send their artisan's to the courts." Her words almost seemed encouraging and uplifting, like she was trying to give Degarashi a pep talk.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 am 

Degarashi had to scrub his hand over his face softly. "Gomen, I don't mean to be so self deprecating, but it is often common among the Scorpion to arrange marriages practically from the moment of birth, especially since the alliance was forged with the Lion, as the Matsu share a similar tendency. To go as far as one's gempukku ceremony without so much as a thought provided towards marriage is, to many Scorpions, to be utterly overlooked. There are few things my clan enjoys so much as a wedding, and to not have held consideration for one for so long is...telling, to say the least."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:28 am 

Her voice came out prompting. "As you said however, you WERE arranged to marry early on, and circumstances merely changed that. Perhaps it is strange afterwards, but I cannot say why, because I do not know what happened between then and now."

Poemu paused to sip again, murmuring a soft, "A very good tea," before going on. "Perhaps it is merely that the situation is not common, as you say. In that case, would it not make more sense to have a nakodo outside the Scorpion look into the matter? It is not so uncommon at all in the Dragon for marriages to be arranged later on, if they are arranged at all, and they are quite open minded."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:31 am 

"I suppose that is a way to look at it, certainly." He paused, thoughtful for a moment. "What about yourself, Agasha-sama? What has been your experience with the process? It's certain to be different from my own, and could give me a framework with which to better understand a matter that is wholly foreign to me."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 am 

"Mine was a bit different for me." She smiled. "I was trained as a Miya Herald, and as a part of the deal, I was arranged to a member of the Miya family, to help foster closer ties between the Dragon and the Imperial families."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:50 am 

"Ah, so yours has a measure of political significance to it, then. Has it been a pleasant arrangement at least? My brother seemed quite taken with his betrothed in the time that he knew her but I've heard that such can be...rare at the best of times."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:20 am 

She nodded softly, seeming to smile fondly. "I cannot speak to my case being common or not, but my husband is a fine man, and in our time together we've become quite happy with each other. I had known of him from my time at the school, though he was older than I, and had his gempukku when I was only in my second year of training. He's very kind, and a fine singer and poet."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:35 am 

"I should perhaps enjoy if I were allowed the leisure of marrying into such contentment..." Degarashi's words trailed off in time with his thoughts, and even without a sharp perception it wouldn't be tough to guess he was thinking of something, or someone, in particular. "But I also know the demands of duty, however long I've managed to evade them, intentional or otherwise."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:51 am 

"Not all marriages are arranged as a duty. Not every samurai can be a political lever after all. The Dragon frequently marry for contentment, but we have always been outliers."

She took her fan from her obi, opened it, and leaned in. "Perhaps Bayushi-san has someone in particular that Benten has shown to him?"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:55 am 

Degarashi let out a breath, then fixed Poemu with a semi conspiratorial stare. "Perhaps. And perhaps I might be willing to express a bit more to Agasha-sama, if she doesn't mind finding a piece of her heart broken for listening."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:10 am 

Since the fan was out and open, she turned it to cover a soft gasp, but despite a touch of sympathy in her gaze, she seemed quite interested all the same.

"Only if Bayushi-san believes that he can bear it."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 am 

Degarashi shrugged one shoulder. "It is not myself for whom I have concern, but you were warned."

Taking in a very deep breath, the Scorpion fixed Poemu with his gaze, locking his eyes onto hers with an as yet unseen intensity, at least by her.

"Have you ever gazed upon true beauty, Agasha-sama? Not the fanciful kind the Crane would have you believe in but true, heart rending beauty? A beauty buried under scars and loss and pain, bent forever by the weight of a curse which tears away the best and purest of loves. To look upon this beauty you must first find ugly, bitter, poisonous thorns and weeds which rip and tear away at you for daring to step closer. A hideous thing so ugly it turns the knees of lesser men to paste. And then, when you fear you've seen the whole of this wretched, twisted thing, when no more can you suffer under its chilling visage...it laughs."

Though his eyes remained forward, their focus was lost, and his voice took on an airy tone.

"It...she... laughs. Laughs with a purity of spirit and vibrancy of life so unexpected you stumble forward, to find the weeds are gone and pulled away, revealing a garden that you'd missed before, thriving there beneath the terrors around them, despite them even. And in that instant observation you've found a love for that garden, an unspeakable urge to care for it and help it grow, despite the danger buried deep within it."

He drew in, and let out, a shuddering breath. "I have seen that beauty, Agasha-sama, and I would gladly spend my life to pass but an instant more beside it..."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 pm 

"Bayushi-san is so brave..." Poemu said with watery eyes. She clenched a fist a moment later in powerful determination.

"Kampai! Bayushi-san, let this one help you into that garden! I would do whatever I could to help you, within propriety of course." Utter conviction was in her tone as her lips trembled and eyes continued to water, Poemu leaned forward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next