It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:24 pm

Post subject: Re: [D11, EN] A Decision (closed)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 am 

"Things I know that could be weaknesses. He's overconfident. He likely has his own spies, but he probably relies on the Imperial network to gain much of his blackmail, too. He has trouble making allies when it's not a situation where he's manipulating or has power over him," she said, still staring at their hands, thoughtfully. "He likely already underestimates me because of my looks and because I have something of a scandalous reputation. I can come across like a simple hedonist. He won't be so foolish as to completely underestimate me, though. It may have played a role in choosing the Scorpion."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:47 am 

"Yes, a calculated strike to the alliance with the Lion could prove poor for your health, I had considered that. You might even say I've been dressing for the occasion." His eyes twinkled at her.

"Even without a direct threat, however, maneuvering from here would be very problematic in the upcoming circumstances. It would put you in a position of considerable weakness and afford your brother time to establish his hold, however far his grasp reaches by the time it becomes relevant."

Degarashi drummed his fingers on his leg softly. "Manipulating from a position of power...how about manipulating from a position of weakness?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:21 pm 

She tilted her head, raising her eyebrows. "Please, explain your thoughts, Degarashi."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 pm 

Degarashi glanced over at Sukima and nodded. "Mind that I'm not well versed in politics, but I have some measure of understanding where the Scorpion currently reside."

He sighed, rubbing at his face self consciously. "I've never been the biggest fan of the alliance with the Lion, they damage our purpose with their influence and bring great outward strength to the Scorpion when ours has always been the subtle way. I've spent some time considering what might help to balance things out once more."

He rolled a shoulder and turned his neck side to side to stretch his muscles. "Best I came up with involves the Crab. After the Crossed Pincers, territory became a huge dispute, and they've yet to stop lobbying for it. If a Scorpion of sufficient influence were to take their side in the matter, they might gain significant benefits while undercutting the might of the Scorpion and giving the Lion pause as the Crab become stronger. That they've no love for each other is no mystery of late."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:41 pm 

"I do feel the need to remind that no matter how much territory we give up, the route between the Lion and Crab is straight through us," she noted with a frown. "Ticking up tensions between them again would go very badly for us no matter who we have an alliance with or not."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:00 am 

He nodded softly. "Again, not my particular forte. Trying to think in terms of your brother's schemes is exhausting, among other things." The tension in Degarashi's body was especially noticable as he crossed his arms over his chest.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:13 am 

"Part of the reason we have the alliance with the Lion is a matter of territory and otherwise being on the edge of many enemies. Turning them to a neutral party at best and the Crab as only a tentative ally sets up not only a war that we would be the battleground for, but surrounds us with enemies," she explained.

"The Lion are large and loud, as Lions are wont to be, but that means they're also drawing attention. They take much of the scrutiny while we do what we need to do. Have you noticed that politically we're practically invisible? No one talks about what the Scorpion are doing anymore, despite our influence. While the Lion's honor has influenced some of our generation, it leads to what you spoke of before - underestimation. The other Clans believe the Lion have removed our stingers, making them all the more vulnerable to them."

"And a generation of looking the other way from our activities has influenced them, as well. Just less obviously. I had a meeting with Matsu Erina earlier. It was most enlightening in that regard."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:33 am 

Degarashi regarded Sukima coolly, but there was a smile in his eyes. "Would have been nice if somebody explained it to me that way earlier. I've been pumped so full of the idea that the Scorpion are becoming less than themselves that I never considered the idea that the next generation of Lion might learn something of stealth. Up until now all I've had to go off of is the perpetual cries for honor and glory so common among the Junshin, like Yukinaga..."

A sudden pang twisted into his chest unexpectedly, and he abruptly fell silent. There were no tears, no outward signs of emotion, just a quiet, hurt filled emptiness, his eyes cast down to the floor. "It always hurts the same, when it decides to hurt, doesn't it?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:52 am 

"Your main experience of this alliance is what it looks like and what it took from you. What opportunity would you have to see it much differently?" She asked rhetorically as she reached up and squeezed his shoulder. "It always hurts the same. I think eventually it might hurt less often, though."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 am 

He reached up and squeezed her hand softly, much as he'd done before, the this time he idly kissed her wrist as well, seemingly unaware of having done so. "Getting out into the world to see it directly has been an eye opening experience. I might like to meet this Erina you spoke of, to take her measure for myself." He sighed, allowing the moment of pain to pass as best he could. "I do hope you are right, Sukima."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 am 

"I've been watching this alliance develop since it began, between the Imperial courts and within the Scorpion," she replied, smiling as he kissed her wrist. "There's a reason others are trying to find the cracks in it, especially the traditional enemies of both, like the Crane."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:30 am 

"Mm, I'm not especially fond of the Crane myself. I had a run in with that former Crane duelist I'll during a moment of great personal confusion. She said some generally unhelpful nonsense, then sent me to the imperial advisor who was even less helpful than that." Degarashi snorted. "A Dragon will say a million things in a handful of words, but a Crane can spend a lifetime finding elaborate ways to say nothing."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 am 

"They are developing a habit of forgetting where they stand in the Celestial Order, as well," she noted darkly.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:15 am 

That earned a loud snort. "Maybe that's why Doji-sama wouldn't comment on my confusion about the same thing, she's got no idea what she's on about she didn't want to look the fool."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:19 am 

"... Is that why that former Crane duelist sent you to her?" She asked, her expression suddenly thoughtful. "Confusion on that subject?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:33 am 

"Hm?" Degarashi had been mostly joking, but now he thought back to his conversation with the duelist. "I believe it came up, after a fashion. I was at the twin shrines, shortly after my brother's demise, and just generally angry about life and where it had let me and..."

Intelligence, Recall information: 3d10o10 7

He shook his head. "I can scarcely remember the conversation itself, but I spoke generally on how corrupt and blind many of our so called samurai can be. Iko-sama suggested I wasn't alone, made some reference to Doji-sama sharing her ideals, and offered to write me a letter of introduction." He shrugged apologetically. "I've no idea what she wrote in it, but when I spoke to the advisor she acted like I was speaking another language and suggested I speak to a monk. She didn't appear to agree with or even acknowledge Iko-sama's words at all."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:36 am 

She tapped her lips with the three good fingers of her left hand. "Not much to go on, but it lines up with something she mentioned to me. I wonder, I wonder... Something to look into..."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 am 

Degarashi inclined his head curiously to one side. "Something's caught your attention. You're not going after the imperial advisor are you?" The thought concerned him, if only because his lack of knowledge left him searching for answers to Sukima's sudden distance of thought.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:52 am 

"I'd have to do it indirectly," she murmured. "I don't have the pull to confront her directly. If I'm right, she has resources we can't easily know... I have to be very careful in my digging..." She looked to the side, expression sharp. "... have to confirm this first, anyway... don't want to be like my ancestor..."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:58 am 

Degarashi sat by and quietly listened to Sukima mutter to herself for a few minutes, lost in her impossible line of logic. At first it was amusing, but the longer she went on, the more unhinged she started to sound. "Denka? ...Denka~!" Her attention seemed completely gone, so in the interest of speeding things along, he caught her chin with the fingers of one hand and gently kissed her lips.