It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:10 pm

Post subject: Re: [Day 11, EA] Toast to the Future (closed)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:35 am 

"It certainly would help. If anything, we should do everything in our power to show that we want to reconcile." Erina takes another sip of tea, lost in thought.

"Mantis...that's an interesting idea. Lion now holds territory on the coast, and we don't necessarily have a way to defend it. If we can open ports for them to travel safely, have favorable deals and tax reductions for their merchants...well, they certainly would have the right to defend themselves."

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:39 am 

"Precisely. And the Mantis certainly don't hesitate to do just that," she replied, a small smile crossing her lips. "If our combined resources can't find the Crane Champion, it's a solution that ensures the Crane are too distracted to trouble you. Of course, it's delaying the inevitable, but that is the name of the game when it comes to the important work of securing the throne."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:47 am 

"Hmmm..." Erina nods the gusto. "I certainly like the idea, but I need to find a way to sell it. I am far too low in importance to make the idea work on my own. Perhaps I can seek a position in a coastal port."

The young samurai lets out a dark chuckle. "Of course, that assumes that we get out of this alive."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:04 am 

"If it might help, I am an ally in decent standing. I can offer a letter to back up your words if you feel it would help," she offered. She nodded at the implication, sighing. "I believe the relevant phrase here is, 'Hope for the best, prepare for the worst'?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:17 am 

Erina does her best to catch a halting breath in her throat.

"I think it would help a great deal indeed. If anything, a Lion presenting the idea with backing might do more to convince those I am subordinate to that it has weight. As you say, there is no guarantee, but every bit helps said the Matsu as she pissed into the sea."

Erina blushes for a moment. "Forgive me, it's a soldier proverb" And a crass one. Which I just said to a former Imperial.

"If I might as Sukima-sama...you have spoken strongly of your support for the Empress. Might I ask why you would support her over your own brother?" Erina begins to stammer. "Fo-forgive me if that was too personal"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:59 am 

Sukima snapped up her fan to cover her face, but it was obvious from the combination of her eyes and way her face was turning red that she was trying not to laugh. "Q-quite all right, Matsu-san. It takes a bit more than a crass proverb to trouble me. It seems quite an apt one, anyway."

The question sobered her, though, and when she lowered the fan again, her expression was thoughtful. "There are many reasons. First is that I feel the marriage and the tie to my brother will hurt my Clan more than it will help. The rest relies of my ties to my eldest brother, Hantei XXII. I believe, after all the trouble he went through with people being untrustworthy around him, he would make his decision about his wife with anything but the greatest care. I think be believed in her, so I choose to believe in her, as well." She took a deep breath before continuing. "There was also a time three years ago when he believed, accurately, that another attempt on his life was imminent. At that time he entrusted me with his wishes should the worst occur - he did not wish our brother to sit on the throne. I don't think he would have told me this if he didn't trust me to be able to act on it."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:25 pm 

"Oh. Oh my." Erina pauses at the seriousness of the second part of the answer.

"I...I had no idea Sukima-sama." And it was probably supposed to be that way.

"I wish my reasons were quite as poignant. I believe in her because, well, she is change." Erina chuckles slightly, mostly to herself. "Oh, being a former Matsu is nice, but truly, I want to see her and her heir on the throne because change is coming. Change is here, and it has been here for quite some time now. The Unicorn have returned. We have an entirely new species as neighbors. Change is inevitable, and the very idea that we might make those changes last has sent Traditionalists running back into the arms of a man, a thing, they know to be a paranoid mass murderer on the prayer that they can return to an Empire that is already gone."

Erina closes her eyes. "Seppun-san...wants to keep things where they are. Clans backbite with each other, some rising, some falling, but nothing changes. Nothing lasts. The Empress and her child might actually look to the future, to show that there is strength in adaptation and amalgamation."

Erina opens her eyes. "Is that foolish?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 pm 

"No. I think you're not wrong, though I suspect some think Seppun Kato would also change things. I don't think he would be a wildly different ruler than the Steel Chrysanthemum, though," she replied. "The fact of the matter is that to adapt to the way the Empire is now, we need the Empress and her child to pave the way forward and do so with honor. She is the only one who seems to have it, frankly. Her court can help keep a balanced perspective, as well."

"In the end, all things being equal, she's the right person for the Empire right now."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:15 pm 

Erina nods. "That is exactly my thinking. With luck, that is what the road ahead will look like."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:02 pm 

"Luck, and the hard work of her supporters." She gave Erin's a smile. "Credit where it's due, ne?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:31 pm 

"It certainly is not easy work, is it?" Erina offers a genuine smile back. "But if it were easy, there would be no need for samurai, ne?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 pm 

"There would not indeed," she agreed ,"Thank you for the conversation this afternoon, Matsu-san. I haven't had the pleasure of this kind of dive into current politics since the end of Winter Court."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:52 pm 

"Thank you for listening." Erina returns the bow. "Not many people in your position would take the time to listen to a no-name samurai from another clan. You helped me with my argument as well"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:05 pm 

"You never know what perspective will be important," she replied with a small smile. "It's important to listen to as many as you can to make the best decision. As far as you go, Matsu-san... You have quite the mind. Your voice deserves to have weight."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:45 pm 

"You are too kind. But we should make the Empress pround."

(/end of scene?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:45 pm 

/scene