It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: [Day 11, EA] Toast to the Future (closed)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:47 am 

Erina fusses with her quarters, trying to bring it to a semblance of pristine order, serenity and ettiqute. The results are mostly..."Well, you tried", with her swords held on a daisho stand, and a small brazier of incense and perfume wafting in the room. Was it a bit much...perhaps, but she had invited a guest, and Erina was distinctly aware of the gulf between them.

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

Post subject: Re: [Day 11, EA] Toast to the Future (closed)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:48 am 

Said guest soon scratched at her door frame. "Matsu Erina-san, it's Yogo Sukima," came the quiet, musical voice from the other side.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 am 

Erina slides open the door and bows. "Welcome, treasured guest. Please, come in." Erina gestures to a pair of cushions by a low table. "Please make yourself comfortable. Would you care for tea...I do have some sake, but its a bit early. A "gift" if you will from a departed friend"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 am 

She bowed to her. "I know we've corresponded, but I don't think we've met properly before now. It's a pleasure, Matsu-san. My condolences on the losses to your Clan. You have borne much of the burden of protecting all of us from the armies of the Steel Chrysanthemum."

She found a seat. "Just tea is fine, thank you."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:24 am 

Erina pours a pair of cups of (the much maligned) Lion tea.

"And I want to offer my thanks for your assistance. Some wished for direct
and immediate action...as Lion as want to. Having another option was greatly appreciated."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 am 

Sukima accepts one cup, taking a small sip, wearing a small smile where it when it was lowered. "The alliance is important. Of course we'll do what we can," she replied with a bow of her head. Then she sighed. "Unfortunately, Bayushi Rumiko-sama has put us in a difficult position in regard to that."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:54 am 

"It certainly casts matters into an... interesting direction. I admit that the Lion are not the most popular in the city right now due to some missteps. Still, there is a big difference between building a tie and committing to one side. Obviously, if an order comes and you must do your Duty, that Duty is paramount."

"But forgive me if I suspect that your Champion, well, knows what he is doing and understands long term planning. And, well, if I am a poor politician I like to think that I am an able strategist. I highly doubt the returned Hantei holds onto power long if at all and is ready for another front."

Erina sips her tea with the calm of someone who had said that the rain would come to an end.

"Which means that Scorpion is in excellent position no matter what."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:18 am 

Sukima raised an eyebrow slightly, letting the teacup rest between her hands for a moment. "Please explain further, Matsu-san. I'm curious about your point of view."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 pm 

"Well, please feel free to point out any flaws in my logic Yogo-sama." Erina places her teacup on the table. "It has been a while since I have been able to speak freely on the subject, and I appreciate the chance to sharpen the argument."

"To phrase it simply, the Steel Chrysanthemum is moving too slowly. We are struggling indeed at the moment, but his main thrust has been with the surprise of his betrayal and the ability to move his army at high speed without conventional supply lines. And yet, for all that, his forces were unable to take Toshi no Omoidoso. Isolate it, perhaps, but the strength of the defense made the cost of taking it too high. Even now, as dire as things are, placed on the defensive, we are holding, even if it comes at cost. The efforts of Tani-sama and Kitsu-Diamyo-dono have destroyed the Mirror of Sorrows, preventing him from summoning more ancestors for his army."

"Every day we tie him here is another day for the Clan armies and Imperial Legions to muster. At this point, I believe that our defensive efforts have slowed him enough that even if he manages to win in the end, he will require cooperation from the clans to remain in power. Cooperation that, at this point, has not been forthcoming. The words in the court have overwhelmingly been denouncing his actions. The Unicorn had no place in his Empire and have no reason to think they would be considered such. The Lion will fight on this matter to the bitter end, and I imagine that we may even see a few ronin as sworn lords fall. The Crab will have to consider throwing their lot in with someone who summons creatures in the middle of cities. The Naga fear their own extinction if he is our leader. And now, even among those who might resent or oppose a former Lioness in charge, there is now...." Erina quirks a mirthless smile. "Another option to rally behind. The usurper's paranoia is legendary, and I suspect that even the Lion would fall in line behind whoever can remove him if the Empress has fallen. Anyone."

Erina picks up her cup and takes a sip. "No, the war I fear is not this one. It is the war that is to come afterwards. And I cannot condemn the Scorpion for preparing for the worst by establishing a tie of marriage to the Imperial family while the Lion have done the same."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:32 pm 

"I see. I can't fault your logic regarding the Steel Chrysanthemum," she nodded in understanding. "Though the Scorpion already had one Imperial marriage tie..."

"My main concern is the split with the Lion political position this new tie has potentially demanded. If it was mere preparation for a potential outcome, I would be less concerned."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:53 pm 

"It...won't be ideal." Erina tilts her head slightly in acknowledgement. "I will not be shocked if a few hot blooded members speak out about their displeasure. But I am aware of the difference the official position, and the actual position." Erina shrugs. "I wish there wasn't a need for it, but I know it exits."

"If I can convey one things...well two."

"First is that I think we ought to continue reminding each of our sides about how much each had thrived during out alliance. I truly believe that Scorpion has earned some trust, enough that I am not quick to judgement. I do not want to waste the work that so many have died for because tension are high."

"Second, assuming that the Empress does not take firm control, I expect that Lion, weakened by losses, may find engaged on multiple fronts. The Crane have their gripe of the day, but Phoenix, Crab and Unicorn all could have cause, especially if Scorpion is unable to express outright support." Erina steels herself and keeps eye contact. "But I would hope that...let's call them "back channels" could remain open"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:13 pm 

"I think as long as speaking out is the limitation of their expression of displeasure, I don't see why... lines of communication can't remain open. I think both sides have benefited considerably from the alliance. My own daughter is intended to study with the Akodo." She smiled a little.

"In the mean time, I will do my best to encourage my people... not to be overly vocal on the subject of the Clan's official position. Hopefully it will help maintain our positive relationship."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 pm 

Erina nods back. "I suspect that we are going to have plenty of fights to have picked on our behalf that are perfectly good. There's no need to make more with our allies." Erina downs her tea in a quick motion and pours another cup.

"As for the third party...I don't know how it is possible to walk back Seppun Kato's proclamation that the Empress' child is a bastard. My hope, hope is that the Empress is in so strong a position that it won't matter but that is hardly something to bank on. I don't know how to peacefully resolve that one, other than the cost of broadcasting the offense is greater than letting him walk away...and that is if the issue is not pressed. I would really love a solution to present."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:59 pm 

"Right now, he has made an accusation. The Empress' word once things settle in her favor will be enough to counteract it officially, and I gave my word on the subject as well, which should be close enough to equal to his. The whisper campaign following can still damage her, though, and make her seem weak. I've had enough of people circling my brother and his family like sharks smelling blood in the water."

"I... think I may be able to gain the aid of the Otomo in this, if not the Seppun. The Otomo specialize in securing Imperial power. I may see if I can learn something that will quiet him down, as well."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:23 pm 

"That's..." Erina has a dawning sense of realization that she might be out of her depth in the area. "Actually far better than I dared to hope. But the whispers would make it quite difficult to transition until the heir has settled into his rightful place."

Erina lightly taps her fingers on the table, lost in thought for a moment. "I wonder...no, there's no way he could have predicted the incident with the Crane ambassador." Erina shakes her head. "I hope that I am not speaking out of turn Sukima-dono, but, in the hypothetical, if I wanted to unseat whoever ahead of me, I would weaken those who support them. If I was particularly clever, I would have someone else weaken that support, or have them do so themselves. Would it make sense that Seppun Kato-san would circulate the rumor so that other factions would use the pretext to do what they were already planning to? It might give legitimacy to what might have been a self-absorbed enterprise."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 pm 

"My brother has a tendency to plan broadly. He didn't foresee the incident with the Crane specifically, but it wouldn't be too far-fetched to guess that tensions between the two Clans would boil over with all of us cooped up together," she replied, taking a delicate sip of her tea. "When Matsu Kogyoku spoke to me of it before it went into effect, I even warned her that the plan had a high likelihood of ending the way it did."

"Allow me to confirm that much more bluntly than normal. I hope you will forgive me. That is precisely what he would do, and what we have seen played out. Normally that would have been the sort of rumor not fit for the mouths of fishwives, say nothing of an Imperial scion. It should have shamed him. But people have political reasons of their own to give it weight."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 pm 

Erina snorts slightly, then tries to cough to hide it and return to a serene expression. "No, no, bluntness in the matter is most appreciated. And the point is taken. Not to besmirch my fallen kin, but I had urged that we politic in kind, only to be vastly outnumbered. I stand by that we acted within propriety, but the stories have taken a life of their own, and we are not the heroes of it."

"I ask because...your brother" My it feels awkward to say that. "Is in excellent position to weaken us if there is no definitive claim. Toshi Ranbo lies directly on the border between Crane and Lion. If Crane were to declare war on Lion once the war with the Steel Chrysanthemum is over, I doubt that whoever is on the throne would prohibit them. Once those hostilities begin, I would imagine that is is believable that in the heat of battle one of the two sides commits some offense...giving Kato-san a grievance, and himself already established as a voice of reason. No matter who wins this fight, he could present himself as the savior of the other side and offer a rallying cry for those unhappy with the change. It seems like the type of broad planning you spoke of."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:23 am 

"I agree, Matsu-san.The Lion's actions weren't" entirely "outside of propriety." she agreed with a dip of her head. "Kato is very good at reading the writing on the wall and widening existing cracks in a foundation. He could enact the very sort of plan you speak of, and it would be a clever move."

"All the more reason to ensure that we minimize said cracks."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:00 am 

"Agreed. Sadly, this is less of my field of study and many of the more capable Lion courtiers have fallen." Erina shakes her head with regret. "The quick fix would be if we could find the Crane Champion, but that seems nigh impossible with a seige in place. I am not sure what else could be done to make amends about this particular case. So my thoughts are maybe the pressures of the Courts and their own allies. Perhaps their trading fleets."

Erina raises an shrugs and sighs. "I highly doubt they commit to a fight if they stand alone. Perhaps the trick is ensuring that they would be."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:16 am 

"That's a good approach, though making it obvious isolating them may increase tensions. It would not be the first time the Clans began a war they couldn't win," she replied. She tapped her chin. "A proxy war with the Mantis, though... That might be doable."

"In the mean time, I will see what I can find of the Crane Champion. If I find any clues, I will pass them on to you. Even aiding them may be the difference between a disagreement and a war that could damage the Empress."