It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:51 pm

Post subject: Everyone's A Critic [D11, EE]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 am 

The Blue Tiled Room was, as advertised, a place that allowed many ideas and forms of art to be expressed openly by those present. The Crane did love their art after all.

That didn't mean that they loved Degarashi's art. The Scorpion and the Crane had artistic views that differed so greatly, there were pieces of art crafted about it. Typically the argument ran between kabuki vs noh, but Degarashi's chosen form of rakugo was even less commonly known among the empire, and didn't have the weight of history to hold up its validity.

That's why the long suffering comedian was sitting in a corner, tapping his fan and reciting the many humorous yarns of his art to himself, where the audience would actually appreciate it.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: Everyone's A Critic [D11, EE]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 am 

This wasn't really her scene, but the armoured bushi didn't really know that. She had just seen a building with people going in and out and wondered about it.

She stepped in and looked around. The place looked relatively empty. Her arrival was quite obvious due to the rustle of armoured plates and her heavy footsteps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 am 

The relative emptiness of the room meant that the actor's practice routine echoed slightly.

Tak tak tak tak tak

"Ie, Suzume-sama. I yam!"

He shook his head, not fully satisfied with his results.

Tak tak tak tak tak

His fan beat out in time with another routine.

"Gomenasai~ I thought you said rice paper!"

Degarashi harrumphed, still not finding the right timing or inflection he was after, and completely oblivious to the world around him.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:21 am 

It took Maiya a little bit to notice the Scorpion. The weird Scorpion talking to himself. She had come across a few weird samurai in the city now.

With nothing else to do and wanting a break she took a seat on one of the cushions. From there she could watch the room. She could also hear the Bayushi.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:37 am 

There were several more rough starts, awkward finishes, and a number of grumbles as Degarashi got further frustrated in his practice. He almost snapped his fan between his hands, but managed to calm himself before inflicting any damage.

Still unaware of his expanded audience, Degarashi took in a breath and recited the fan favorite act from Toshi no Omoidosu, just to help center himself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:54 am 

With nobody else really debating or doing anything the Crab turned her attention to the muttering Bayushi. He was practising something she finally realised. A few of the lines were even kind of amusing.

She listened in after taking off her menpo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:18 am 

Eventually the Scorpion looked over his shoulder, a necessary part of one of his routines, and noticed the Crab sitting behind him. The unexpected presence gave him a start, and he ended up rolling forward off his pillow into something akin to a defensive crouch, fan held at the ready.

"Fortunes and winds, I've let a Crab sneak up on me!" He tilted his head, eyes narrowing slightly. "How long have you been back there?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:43 am 

Not sure if she was being addressed or if the Scorpion was reciting something that just happened to fit the circumstances Maiya at first looked and considered. She doubted she could sneak up on someone. She was no Hiruma.

"Ano, konban wa Scorpion-sama." She responds politely after a moment.

Last edited by Kaiu Maiya on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 am 

Hearing a little commotion in what was called the Blue Tiled Room (because of the blue tiles Akemi assumed), the little Moto peeked into the room. Hoping it wasn't some kind of ambush, as she wasn't prepared for fighting.

Instead she saw...a Crab and a Scorpion in some kind of odd stare down?

"Ano...is everything ok?" she asked, bowing.

On person: Pretty kimono, Scroll Satchel, Wakizashi, Fan, calligraphy set & Paper, Tea set (sometimes), Light armour, Han-kyu and arrows(sometimes)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:03 am 

The armoured woman turned to the new voice and, as the other woman had bowed, moved to give a seated bow in return.

"Konban wa. I think so. I'm not sure samurai-sama." She responds, not recognising the other woman's Mon when combined with her Crane features.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm 

One surprise audience member was, well, surprising enough, but the noise Degarashi had made in his state of alarm had attracted another, a Crane this time.

He squinted at the new arrival. A Unicom? Unlikely to matter regardless, the risk meant his humor would either be misunderstood or greatly misunderstood.

Realizing that he was staring now, Degarashi flicked open his fan and began rapidly fanning himself, as if his confusion were part of an act.

"Ie, ie, sorry to worry you! Konbonwa! I was just performing my rakugo routine and let the audience get away from me. You are, of course, welcome to join and observe if you like. Eto...at least I don't think my armored friend here is reserving space..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:07 pm 

Maiya shook her head. "Just taking a break mina-sama. I'm Kaiu Maiya. Nice to meet you. Ano..." She held up an armoured gauntlet, fingers raised. "What is rakugo?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:56 pm 

Having made his way back to the small pillow he sat on for his performances, Degarashi began tapping the palm of his hand with his fan. "Ah, rakugo is a style of theater not commonly known outside Scorpion lands. Unlike noh or kabuki, a rakugo performer acts out every role by themselves, using only a fan and cloth aa props and never leaving the seiza posture. The signature of a proper rakugo is in the final line of the story, which changes the pace and context of all the lines before it, usually in a humorous fashion."

He paused in his explanation, to make sure his audience was still following.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 pm 

Akemi entered the room properly, moving closer.

"You're an actor Bayushi-san? How exciting! I apologize for interrupting your performance practice" she bowed again "I am Moto Akemi."

She paused.

"I was in Ryoko Owari a few years ago, I don't remember seeing those performances though. Although it was difficult to see any performances at the time."

On person: Pretty kimono, Scroll Satchel, Wakizashi, Fan, calligraphy set & Paper, Tea set (sometimes), Light armour, Han-kyu and arrows(sometimes)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:24 am 

"So... it's mostly a one person multi-part comedy performance?" Maiya summarises in a way that was very to the point.

She reached up to unfasten and take off her helmet as the Moto chatted a little with the Bayushi. The Crab still didn't know his name.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:31 am 

Degarashi nodded to Akemi and offered her a bow, followed by one to Maiya as well. "Hai, Maiya-sama, Akemi-sama. This one is Bayushi Degarashi, trained Butei of the Shosuro school. And you are correct in your summary, Maiya-sama. It's a one man show which tends to be comedic in nature."

He rubbed the back of his head, as if nervous, and chuckled. "I suppose we artisans do like to use a lot of words where fewer would suffice."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:01 am 

The Crab contemplated that and, seeing no polite answer, merely nods gently to acknowledge the Scorpion had said something. She didn't want to be rude.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 pm 

I didn't say you could use my name...

Akemi decided not to push the issue.

"Man of my kin would say most Rokugani do that" she commented with a chuckle "as I grew up in the Crane, it seems natural for me to use more words. Are you going to put on a show like your kin did? It would be wonderful to have more of the performing arts to bring the people here together, as the arts does."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm 

"Mmm, I have been considering the idea. I put on a performance back at Toshi no Omoidosu that seemed to go over well at the time, but like a great many other things I've done in my time, I've heard little to nothing about it since then, so it's difficult to tell how well received it actually was."

Degarashi rapped the limbs of his fan against his palm thoughtfully. "In fact, that's a large part of why I'm over here practicing on my own. Scorpion and Crane have a long standing tradition of artistic disagreement and this one felt rather... unwelcome in the more populous areas."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 am 

"Ano, is it commonplace for samurai of one Clan to visit another's lands to perform and practice their Art? Eto, I do apologise if you think the answer is common knowledge. This is my first time outside Crab lands and where I was stationed we rarely saw samurai from other Clans, much less spoke to them."

It was all completely true. Thanks to her duties, Maiya really hadn't encountered many non-Crab and certainly she'd never come across actors and playwrights and artists. However, Nikesake seemed to be full of them. And Dragon. Couldn't forget those.

"This city is very alive, ne? It's so nice to see everyone being so Courteous with each other. My Sensei always stressed how important that was, but I'm learning a great deal seeing it in practice. It has made me realise something. As long as Clans are not at war with each other there is no reason we cannot share Art and good times with one another, desho?" Maiya ventured with audible optimism.