It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Post subject: Re: Keep the fires lit (D10, LE, Chidoriyama inn)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:00 pm 

Chihaya remained silent, marveling at the... brazen nature of this particular sensei.

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:15 pm 

Seeing no comment was forthcoming, Degarashi continued.

"It was a wholly grueling process, and I tried all manner of courtship. Crane initially, then Scorpion, even Unicorn at one point. I at least got her to laugh when the horse dragged me away by my ankle. Nothing worked, though, and the weather was starting to clear, meaning she was about to leave."

Picking up an empty sake cup, Degarashi began rotating it between his fingers, staring into the bowl. "So, on the last night they were to remain in town, I approached and asked to speak with her. No courtship, no pretense, just honest conversation. She agreed, warily, and we talked, letting the discussion go where it would."

He leaned back, looking up at the sky again. "I've no idea how long we spoke, or even what we talked about, but I did notice when she leaned in closer to kiss me..." He blushed deeply, then coughed. "She, uh... suggested finding somewhere secluded and...well, before that I'd never..."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm 

That brought a faint smile, and a little pink to the ears.

"I'm surprised she was willing to talk after you came as a Crane, a Scorpion, and Unicorn..."

Shaking her head, she added, "But I suppose it would make one curious, if nothing else."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:50 pm 

"Indeed, that did get mentioned. After...well, you know... we talked a bit more, she smiled at me, and then..."

Degarashi's voice took on that hint of hardened steel again. "She dropped the act. Removed her disguise and revealed herself as another one of Mienai-sensei's students, a graduate." His fingers tightened around the cup. "There never were any Crane in town, it was all a test. She told me I'd passed, and she was throughly impressed by the final act, so she went a little rogue and 'rewarded' me, which wasn't part of her orders. Then she left. As I was getting dressed, humiliated, Mienai-sensei came by, telling me she'd received a favorable report and that she was proud of me, her favorite student." He scoffed. "Then she explained my assignment, told me about love."

Degarashi's voice changed as he imitated his instructor's words. "Love is the strongest, most insidious poison of all. It drives men to madness, forsakes duty and honor alike. You must never let it poison you. This is the final lesson I give you. You've tasted love, swallowed the poison and felt it in your veins. Now lick the bowl, embrace the searing pain which you have wrought upon yourself, and find the antidote."

He was silent for a very long time after that.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 pm 

Chihaya listened in silence. Her expression had grown somber once again. As he spoke, she felt sadness, that this man would be put through such contortions... what a clan they were, these Scorpion.

A small voice asked if any of this was true, or if he was taking her on a fanciful journey of his own imagination, but there was an element of truth in it, no matter what he might fabricate. The fable speaks the truth better than history.

After a long time, she finally said, simply, "I believe it a cruel lesson - and not even a perfectly accurate one. Foolish passion may drive us away from honor and duty, but dedicated love can anchor us to those same duties. I will give anything, and everything, for my clan. It is my children's future. For those I love, I will exert my utmost effort."

She studied his face. "They say everything is poison in the wrong dosage. Perhaps the problem with love is that we humans don't know how to experience it in proportion?"

A weary sigh. "Like Sake can dull pain, help an old soldier carry on, or keep a wound from festering, it can also carry you away and drive you to foolish, reckless actions."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:05 pm 

Degarashi smiled softly at Chihaya's words. "Perhaps so, Chihaya-san. Effective though she was, Mienai-sensei is, without a shred of doubt, a bitch. I'm aware of that now, but it doesn't immediately undo the damage she inflicted in her attempts to inoculate me against the world."

He took a swig of sake, straight out of the bottle, then stood and walked towards Chihaya. "Moderation and temperance, restraint and caution. These are the ways in which we sample the many flavors of poison arrayed before us." The Scorpion set the bottle down before the Sparrow and continued walking past her.

"I can't help but notice the effort you've exerted on my behalf, faint though it may be. It's given me pause to think and freed me from encroaching darkness for a time." He smiled in a way that he was glad she couldn't see, as his cheeks would surely betray him. "Maybe Chihaya-san is the antidote."

/exit Batman style (can't roll stealth after day change, he just quietly vanished)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:33 pm 

As he departed, she sighed.

What a mess we make, we mortals.

Shaking her head, she leaned back against the wall, listening to the rain. His teacher had given him half of a lesson she'd walked into, all on her own. She wasn't sure if that was... better... or worse.

At least this was a comfortable spot... to try and make sense of her own mind.

/scene