It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Post subject: I bet they're hungry (Day 10, EM)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:38 pm 

In that creeping way which memory sometimes functioned, Chihaya had begun to remember some talk with a Mantis. About some animals.

Now, a few days later, she remembered that she'd also seen that Mantis taken away for cremation.

Now, this morning, her brain had put two and two together, and sent her to the warehouse, hoping that she wasn't going to find either A: the animals stolen and eaten, or B: the animals eaten each other.

She'd gotten a servant to pack some scraps to feed those poor beasts, and now she'd come to see if they were still doing all right.

Profile :: Theme

Post subject: Re: I bet they're hungry (Day 10, EM)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:53 pm 

All beings needed to be cared for. Not shadowlands beasts of course, and slaughter spirits were right out. Really, it was just anything that wouldn't kill her that needed to be cared for.

Not that Poemu knew there WERE animals that needed to be cared for, not at first. She had merely been out for a morning walk in the rain, getting fresh air after a stuffy night inside. The streets were packed with people getting whatever supplies they could, having heard that an army was on the way.

People still gave samurai room however, so it wasn't hard to see a... it was a bird mon... Sparrow? The woman had a servant walking after with... was that red meat? Intently curious, and more than willing to help if need be, she followed Chihaya to the warehouse. "Suzume-sama! I saw you had business os some sort, can I help at all?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:20 am 

Chihaya seemed surprised, and then glanced around.

Spotting the Agasha, she offered a small bow, along with the servants.

"Ah, Agasha-san, I am... well I'm looking into a bit of a morbid matter."

She gestured to the food. "This one is Suzume Chihaya, of the sparrow. There were a number of animals that belonged to a Mantis who recently was slain by the forces of the usurper - I was going to ensure they were taken care of."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:42 am 

Poemu's face melted into one of sympathy. She immediately tied back her sleeves and gave a firm nod. "Hai, I understand. I am not the best with animals, but I would be honored to help however I could. I ride a horse all the time, so this can't be too hard, right?"

Her look was determined, even if she was slightly sheepish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:53 pm 

"Straight ahead, little Mamoru... no, straight," Asakuro said with emphasis as he wandered down the street dressed in his trusted traveling cloak and straw hat keeping him bundled and dry in what was shaping up already to be yet another day of oppressive rain. He had hoped today it would dry out, but alas, and yet Mamoru the peafowl still needed to get out of the inn to stretch its legs every now and again. The bird waddled out in front of him, and as it drifted off to one side or the other, the Tortoise used a stick in hand and quickly placed it in its path to divert it back onto the straight and narrow march forward up the rain-soaked cobblestones.

As he and bird turned a corner and walked up the street, he caught sight of two faces somewhat familiar to him near a warehouse, the servant, and what appeared to be... meat. And lots of it. A most curious sight. Had samurai dietary sensibilities changed so quickly without him knowing? Couldn't be, he thought: surely it would have been served at dinners at court when he was at Morikage Toshi as a symbol of new tradition, right? Did the Matsu allow others to bring offering to their great cats? That would be neat! But also unlikely. A strange donation for a Unicorn-hosted feast? But why couldn't they fetch it for themselves? As he came closer, he tapped his stick twice on the ground and Mamoru and master both stopped near them.

"Blessed morning, Agasha-sama, Suzume-sama," he stated warmly, bowing respectfully to the two ladies. Mamoru, looking back at its new master, bobbed its head up and down a couple times in response. "I hope you both had rice this morning. Is there something this one might assist with?" he offered, eyes glancing over to the meat for a moment before returning back to the two of them.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:05 pm 

Chihaya examined the bird, a bit baffled, and then gazed back at the Tortoise. "Agasha-san had just offered, but yes... A recently departed samurai, victim of the enemy, had a small collection of animals she liberated from a rather unprincipled salesman. I was checking in to make sure they were fed, and see if there were any clues as to who I should send them to..."

She glanced at the bird.

"There were some dogs, so you might not want to risk your... bird?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:49 pm 

The Tortoise grinned. "A high enough crate to sit upon or a cage if around should suffice then to protect the dogs from what can otherwise be a highly aggressive fighting fowl with sharp beak and talons - a dangerous beauty, if you will," he noted as he gestured with his empty had to Mamoru. For its part, the bird just stood there, lightly pecking its beak at some of the water drizzling its way in-between the cobblestones. Just as quickly, Asakuro's free hand tapped lightly underneath his chin as his expression turned to one of serious thought.

"Ahh... an odd question, Suzume-sama, but does one know if this very bird was among these creatures? You see, a few moons ago there was a servant that delivered this gorgeous bird to the inn upon which I am staying here in the city, around the evening time. The servant said that the bird was indeed purposefully to be delivered to me - it came a bit frazzled and a little malnourished, otherwise fine - but they could not give a name nor was there a note of explanation enclosed. Having experience with the care and training of peafowl previous, I would say it was a wise choice and decision, but I know not whom to thank for bringing the matter to my attention," he explained, continuing to tap his chin while Mamoku continued pecking at the stones.

"... recently departed - most unfortunate. Whom was this samurai?"

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Profile!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:00 am 

"Kanade, of the mantis."

Chihaya sighed.

"I do not know if that fowl was among the lot, but there was a lioness, given back to the clan. The rest are more common, songbirds, dogs, chickens, goats."

A soft shrug.

"I have yet to see what condition they are in now."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:55 am 

"Kanade-san, of the Mantis," the Tortoise repeated while continuing his tapping, this time thinking of if the name was familiar. And it dawned on him, and his hand drifted down to his side.

"Mmm... I recall that one from the morning of arrival at Toshi no Omoidoso. She had a black kai-ken with her that she was playing with and training - Jiro, its name was, a cute little creature. I hope that dog is safe without master, wherever it may be. If these animals are in similar condition as Mamoru was... Inari-kami smiles fondly upon her and I will make offering to the Fortunes for her for the positive intercession she had in the lives of these creatures," he stated and gave a single affirmative nod.

"Please allow me to assist you and Agasha-sama in this matter, Suzume-sama - I have training in the handling and care of many animals from my time tending to the Imperial Menagerie." He paused for a few moments, considering something as the peafowl got bored of pecking at the ground and looked up.

"And if there is no notice left behind as to where they should go, I offer to take them on - all of them, as many as it takes."

Profile!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:05 am 

"I appreciate your offer, but would not burden you with all of them. I feel some responsibility as well."

Walking toward the warehouse, she checked the door.

Shut.

With a faint sigh, she stepped back, contemplating how to breach the wooden portal.

"I may have to break in."

Perhaps from the sound of her voice, but barking could be heard from within, after she had stepped near the building.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:35 am 

"Then in that case, I will take all that you offer, Suzume-sama," he responded, nodding his head a bit low, partly in deference, partly in seriousness to the offer. He stood still as the Sparrow attempted to open the door and, failing that, make her assessment of it. Again he thought for a moment.

"Barred from the inside in some manner? I would hate to create so much noise from the splintering of wood so early in the morning. Is there a lock upon which this one might be able to take a look...?" he inquired with interest. Mamoru, meanwhile, continued to look about the area in place absentmindedly.

Profile!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:51 am 

Chihaya shrugged. "It doesn't seem to want to swing open... I could try to force it, but I don't have a key for the lock."

She sighed.

"I should have thought of that."

The barking inside got more urgent - the dogs knew someone was outside now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:41 am 

"Ah, so there is a lock, then? Hmmm." A long pause.

"Stay, Mamoru," Asakuro commanded, looking down at the peafowl and lightly hitting the stick upon the ground twice. The bird looked at him confusingly - wasn't it already standing still? - but it did continue to stand in place as the Tortoise walked up to the door. He set the stick aside to lean against a wall for the moment, and then he looked back at the Sparrow and Dragon.

"... perhaps though I take a closer inspection, it would be best if esteemed -samas do not. One must have... concentration. Yes... that. Contemplation," he said, nodding slowly and not realizing he said two different words there before turning to closely inspect the lock, a gloved hand running fingers along it as his other reached up into his cloak and kimono sleeve. The hand retreated, then it too covered the lock on top of the other hand, and the Tortoise "inspected" for a few moments... a couple clicking noises...

((Figuring for fluffy-roll purposes that Sleight of Hand is the closest equivalent for lockpicking since it's used for other escape and small hand-movement purposes and assuming animal rescue tied to Menagerie management / supervision and Imperial job fit into clan duties... feel free to determine if this works!))

Slight of Hand/Awa: 35

Profile!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:44 am 

Chihaya gave the man room for contemplation, instead observing the colorful bird with some fascination.

She'd never seen one of these before.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:05 am 

"Bwok!" the peafowl called out when it saw that it had an audience looking down upon it. "Be nice, Mamoru... good little one..." the Tortoise said quietly yet soothingly without looking up from his "contemplation" and "concentration" that he was doing. The bird stayed silent, but eyed the Sparrow somewhat cautiously, its wings tucking slightly inwards but otherwise it stayed put as commanded. Slowly, however, the bird began to roll its head to one side with neck craned tall, kept it there for a couple seconds, and then bobbed its head back and all the way to the other side, as if they were the ones doing the inspection rather than the other way around.

"Whoever fed it didn't feed it right, if not at all," Asakuro noted softly as he stared down at his hands. "The color isn't as vibrant as it should be, but that will come back in time with good and healthy feedings. Came to me a bit frazzled too - seems to have calmed down somewhat since with some good sleep and room to stretch the legs, but much work to be done before they are the beautiful thing they are meant to be: maybe in a few months' time. A young one, too, still room to grow. I estimate, oh... maybe this tall by adulthood?" he estimated, holding out one of his hand slightly at roughly four-and-half-foot height before it moved back to to other one and the door. In comparison, Mamoku appeared likely four foot even with its neck fulled craned upward as it was.

"Mmm... aha." Click. The Tortoise paused for a beat, and another, and still another, and then quickly his hand went back up his sleeve before coming back down again. His gloved hands both empty, he walked a step or two over to pick up the stick leaning against the wall, and with that fetched he walked over to be next to Mamoru whom righted itself after he approached.

"... perhaps Suzume-sama might wish to try the door again - Fortunes favor a second chance before more drastic measures be considered and taken."

Profile!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:10 pm 

Chihaya nodded.

"Well then... you'll have to tell me what sort of bird he is later."

Stepping forward, she gently pushed open the door, gesturing the servant to hand her a food basket.

The barking reached a fever pitch, as two loose dogs barreled out and into her, before being distracted by quickly applied scraps of meat.

They didn't seem hostile, just desperate and scared, and so she tried to keep them under control long enough to calm them down, but she wasn't all that great with animals.

These two were wearing collars, however, a pair of Kaiken, the male black, the female black and red. She couldn't make out the names on the collars, with the motion of the animals, but these two were clearly pets.

Poor things... didn't know their master was gone...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:51 pm 

A small smile crossed Asakuro's lips as the door was gently pushed open by the Sparrow, pleased that his "work" appeared to have been successful. The smile quickly turned into a quite visible frown, however, as the two dogs came out, bobbing about as frightened as could be and going after the food like it had been their first decent meal in days. The colors, the collars, the breed...

Mamoru quickly moved around the Tortoise to stand behind him as the dogs came tearing out; it craned its head around his side and its feathers unfurled to make itself look much larger, but otherwise it was calm for now. "Stay, Mamoru," he commanded to the bird as he took a couple steps forward, lifted his stick, and swirled the tip of it in front of him three or four times in a somewhat large circle.

"Heel! Heeeeeel, pups. Heeeeel," Asakuro called out in a soothing voice, his stick circling two more times before he set the tip back down on the street.

Fluffy Animal Handling: 28!

"... those were her dogs. I remember seeing them with her when I went on a stroll and came across her training them. The black one, I believe, is Jiro, one she has had for some time," he noted, pointing at the black kaiken with his stick before he moved it to point at the red and black one.

"And that one new, I recall her mentioning a breeder in West Hub. Hadana? Hadena? Hadama? Along those lines... the name slips, unfortunately," he said, shaking his head a couple times.

Profile!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm 

Poemu had bowed to the Kasuga as he arrived, giving a slight smile of recognition. She recalled their talk from before in Toshi no Omoidoso's hot spring, though she couldn't remember how it had ended. She didn't interrupt as it seemed that there was work to do to get the warehouse open, but soon that problem was solved and the group could enter.

It turned out her time with horses had indeed helped, and she wasn't too bad dealing with the dogs as they ran around, petting at them and offering soothing sounding words. She looked around the warehouse, trying to adjust to the dim light inside.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:45 pm 

Inside, now realizing a human was there, were four more dogs, these ones in cages, and distressingly thin and dirty. One adult male, one adult female, an elderly male, and an aggressive male akita puppy.

Another cage held five chickens, though from the look of things, one of the dogs had tried and failed to get in, as it the chicken cage was lying on the side, and the birds inside had the mad terror of chickens in their eyes.

In the back corner, a pair of goats defended one another, chewing their cud quietly.

And finally, there was a cage full of sparrows, hopping about and chirping wildly.

It was, in many respects, a madhouse.

It also stank.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 pm 

The scent was a bit more intense than she was used to, but she had thankfully gotten used to the smell of stables, and all things considered, it wasn't that much worse. Her first task all the same was to look around for some windows to open to get fresh air moving around.