It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keep the fires lit (D10, LE, Chidoriyama inn)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 am 

Chihaya looked somewhat puzzled, and then said, softly, "You mean what if you were a... a bait?"

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:34 am 

Degarashi nodded quietly. "A perfect replica, one that draws the ire, and the blade, of my lord's enemy. In such a situation of hostility, I would likely die, my lord would live, and his enemy so revealed and unguarded would suffer the punishment for my demise."

He shifted a bit, adjusting his posture to a more comfortable one as he looked out across the city. "I may be an artist at heart, but I am also a vassal of my lord. Blades pointed at them are blades pointed at me." He paused. "You seem unsettled by this idea, Chihaya-san."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:45 am 

"Only surprised. I would hardly believe it possible to so perfectly mimic another, yet... stranger things happen."

She shrugged. "I stand more directly in the path - but those I can stop are only those who are open and honest in their antagonism. I've realized my shortcomings against hidden threats... the hard way."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 am 

"Hmmm," he murmured, "the mimicry need not be perfect, merely perfect enough. In your moment of attack I doubt very much that you would look for minor discrepancies on your enemy's attire. There simply isn't enough time. But in this way I face the blade myself, not wholly incapable of defense, but neither so prepared as you in the field."

His voice took on a gently teasing tone, lips pulled back in a smile. "I live that part of my life much the same as you, though for me the potential attacks are far more numerous." Now his voice dropped. "In times like this, it's wholly possible you'll wake to find me conveniently removed from your path in a very permanent fashion."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 am 

She looked surprised.

"Your lord looks like you currently do?"

It was said in a serious tone, but there was a bit of a joke in her expression, and then she added, somewhat more seriously, "Do be careful. Death without purpose is no honor - and dying for your lord is the last choice, not the first. A samurai is an asset, after all, not something to be squandered without cause."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 am 

There was a hearty laugh in response to the jest. "Chihaya-san, you might have a knack for comedy!" Degarashi felt his face flush, as much from the laughter as the sake.

"Neh, I wouldn't be much of a Scorpion if I gave away what my lord looked like. But concern yourself not. I've no intention of throwing my life away pointlessly. The risks I intend to take are carefully calculated." He offered a wry smile. "Much like certain other risks I've elected to take."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:46 am 

"Ah, I never thought I was particularly amusing."

She seemed nonplussed.

"I'm glad I am able to amuse you, however."

Draining her cup, she set it down and added, thoughtfully, "I imagine you want me to ask which risks you have elected to take."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 am 

Degarashi was carefully considering the dangers of pouring himself another cup of sake. "Oh, I'm quite certain you know exactly which risks to which I refer." His eyes took on that fierce, mischievous gleam they got so frequently around the Sparrow. "Unless, Chihaya-san, you're suggesting that you've gone senile, and I should start the whole process over again."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:29 am 

That brought an exhasperated sigh, mixed with amusement. "You know, calling a girl senile is hardly flattering. Perhaps even less flattering than asking her age."

Crossing her arms, she added, softly, "I did give you my answer... I'm flattered, truly, but... it is how we Suzume are. We make small nests, without room to share."

Even if mine has been empty... painfully so.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:39 am 

"I'm nothing if not ready with humor, Chihaya-san, I could no more change that about myself than I could change my own image." Degarashi blinked twice. "Bad example."

He leaned back, rolling his shoulders in a half stretch, half dismissive acceptance of her words. "I know your answer. Some might think me inconsiderate, but perhaps it's less about the results and more about the spirit. I may never enter such a nest, but you don't seem especially averse to knowing that there's interest. Besides, it's not like I've needed to beg your forgiveness yet."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:32 am 

She sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose.

"Just because I am considerate... and appreciate friendship after so long on the road..."

Her left hand gesticulated hopelessly.

"I do not wish to give you an inaccurate impression - to offer something that is not... on offer."

As for interest... She pinked a little around the ears, and muttered, "What is it with you men and enjoying seeing me get flustered?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:41 am 

Degarashi watched Chihaya closely, though whatever he was watching for remained locked behind his playful expression.

"I can't speak for anyone else regarding their motivations. I, for one, find the flush of color that rises to your cheeks to be very pleasant to look at, alongside," he pursed his lips, "well, the rest of you, honestly."

He leaned back and closed his eyes momentarily. "I'm quite surprised you haven't physically assaulted me for my behavior by now. At least up here there won't be any rumors, neh?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:01 am 

She laughed.

"Assault you? Or Ravish you?"

Shaking her head, she added, with a bit of pink on her face, she added, "I don't understand - when there are beautiful women like Yogo Sukima round, why you'd pay a scarred old warbird like me any mind."

With a soft sigh, she extracted her fan and turned it over in her hands.

"This was a gift from Ha-kun. It's been a long time... and I don't know what first drew him to me... and if it will have held him. I don't know what draws you... or if it would hold you either."

A moment of actual vulnerability, in the form of astonishing honesty.

"I don't know how to be... beautiful. To be womanly. Whenever I have drawn attention from a man it was always inadvertent - and I wonder how long it can last."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 am 

No joke followed any of Chihaya's words. Degarashi's typically irreverent behavior was saved for moments of levity and entertainment, but pure honesty was not something to be met with ridicule. He reached a hand out, hesitated, reached again, then ultimately let his fingers fall into place near but not touching her own.

"I'm certain some other man would offer you reasons for their attractions, complimenting the color of your eye or the texture of your skin. But those things can be lost, changed, and those reasons would need be reaffirmed in a way that would doubtless become less convincing over time."

There was a sigh, mostly through his nose, as he gathered his thoughts and his breath. "I have no such reasons. I cannot in good faith even suggest that reason itself is involved. Yogo-denka is indeed beautiful, and takes care to maintain it, but it is only one kind of beauty."

Degarashi turned towards Chihaya, his words gaining intensity as he went. "But why cannot strength be its own beauty? Why cannot quiet confidence be its own beauty? Why cannot the drive to persevere despite your own pain and loneliness be what makes you beautiful? Why should one man fall to his knees before Sukima-denka, and not yet weep upon viewing you? I cannot understand the minds of other men, I can scarcely understand my own. But I understand this; you are beautiful. I'll die with those words on my lips as surely as I live with them now."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:08 pm 

Chihaya listened in silence, her heart seeming to catch in her throat, pounding for release.

Damn it... don't be so sincere. Don't do this to me.

Think of Ha-kun... Is he even thinking of me?

No! Doubt is a sin!

As he finished speaking, her face positively glowed crimson, though she attempted to keep her expression proper, with moderate success.

"Bayushi... Degarashi-san." A slow breath, to steady herself, and she added, "I... I cannot deny what you are saying. There are handsome men, yet your sincerity... has a power to it."

A slow, deep breath, trying to steady herself, and she added softly... "I don't know if I could tell you no right now... but I don't know if I would still respect either of us if I didn't."

She hated it, hated this pounding in her chest and this weak, easily led heart. Battle was simple, she understood it. She liked being a soldier, she understood being one of the troops, with her comrades... but love? The Heart? She was truly out of her depth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 pm 

Much like Chihaya was now clad in crimson, Degarashi had his fair share of highlights not attributed to his inebriation or the cloth draped about his form. He was shivering, faintly, and attempting to swallow a heavy lump which had lodged itself within his throat.

His voice took on a mild dry rasp, as if he'd gone weeks without water. "I feel as though I'm already aware of that, Chihaya-san. It pains that part of me not to ask, but I would not have it rule my every decision, or yours. But I am no paragon of self restraint, either."

Degarashi leaned towards Chihaya, his hands, legs, and much of his body remaining far from her, as they had this entire time. But his lips disobeyed him and found her cheek, briefly. He retreated almost immediately, but the effort caused a slight delay that he fought hard not to extend.

When he sat back he was silent, the faint warmth of the brief contact lingering within the silken confines of his veil. He almost laughed. Even in violating her personal space, he still hadn't truly touched her.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:38 pm 

For the briefest of moments, it almost seemed like she leaned toward him, and then pulled away, and then froze outright.

Finally, she slid back on the wall, until she her butt hit the roof, absorbing some of the running water. A jolt of cold to bring her mind into focus, at war with the pounding in her ears, and the shame of her indecision.

She felt she was being unfair, possibly even a tease.

She hated that.

She tried to speak, and words didn't come. Burying her face in her hands, she took calming breaths to try and figure out what on earth she should say.

Some small part of his comments... about a part of him, made her laugh weakly, and then frown. She wasn't causing him pain was she? Didn't it hurt men if they didn't... well... that was just a thing the girls in the dojo had said, but she never was sure if it was true...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:54 pm 

Silence reigned for an uncomfortably long time, as Degarashi watched the war being waged inside Chihaya's heart and mind. Being the ultimate source of that war tore at the Scorpion, sinking into places he didn't often enjoy viewing about himself.

He sighed, heavily, and carefully removed his veil, holding it before him on one hand, between himself and the Sparrow, a thin and questionably effective shield. "Strange, isn't it? In a way this mask has saved me, and in others damned me. I want....I want to reach out and console you, place my hand against your own, but even that would be death. I couldn't stop myself if I allowed even that. But this... thin scrap of cloth, meant as a means to shield my identity, has interceded between us."

There was a singular laugh. "But still it is a danger. I wonder what other actions I might excuse with such a thin excuse in place."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:30 pm 

Chihaya gazed at the veil, as if focusing on a thin cloth could save her.

It was strange, faced with charging bulls, Naga sorcerers, Nezumi warriors... none of these things confused and concerned her quite like a single man showing interest... flustering her.

What a stupid woman I am.

Rubbing at her temples, she answered, softly, "I can say this - if you do win this battle with yourself... you'll have my respect." And perhaps my envy for your clarity of will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:20 am 

Degarashi closed his eyes, focusing, breathing, trying to take the edge of his temptations off with the crisp night air. He stood, walking past Chihaya and into the cool rain, standing just behind her as he watched the night skies.

But as he moved past, the hand holding his veil swung wide. Maybe it was intentional, maybe subconscious, or maybe just some cruel trick of fate, but the less than innocent scrap of satin made its way to the Sparrow, tracing a distinct but ghostlike line from her collarbone to the back of her neck.

The Scorpion remained silent, giving no indication that he'd even noticed what had happened.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next