It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Day 9, Late Afternoon]Stuffed Crab
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:44 pm 

"Well, as I said earlier, the herald proclaimed that the Crown Prince was Illegitimate and Seppun Kato wishes to take the throne. But the whole thing is crazy! First, the Empress would never be so dishonorable as to have an illegitimate child, and second, all of the Emperors brother and sisters denounced the throne the minute they were sent into the Imperial Families. You can't go back on that. It would be like if I married into the Kaiu but then suddenly one day told everyone I was still a Matsu."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:07 am 

Maiya hastily swallows a mouthful to respond. "Well, I suppose so, hai." She is in general agreement, lowering her chopsticks to talk more easily. "Seppun Kato is the name of the Emperor's brother, ne? Or, the deceased Emperor's brother. I wonder where the Emerald Champion is... or why the Empress hasn't sent out her own messenger. Maybe they are en route?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 am 

"Seppun Kato is the brother of the slain emperor. As far as why the Empress and the Emerald Champion have both not acted...I have a feeling, but I am not sure how true it is. I believe that they are focusing their attention on the Castle of the Emerald Champion to be the main defensive strongpoint before the enemy reaches Otosan Uchi. So, they may not care or send anyone at all up here to Nikesake. Allow us to weaken and slow down the enemy while the legions get the Castle ready."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 pm 

"Wouldn't that be leaving the Empire to potentially burn due to inaction?" Maiya didn't like the sound of that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:00 pm 

“Only those between here and the Emerald Champion’s castle. Plus, with the portal to Toshigoku closed, the Steel Chrysanthemum is without reinforcements, where the Imperial Legions can pull from all over the Empire. It is a sound strategy, using all of the cities between here and there to weaken his army, even if it does cost many.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:31 pm 

Acceptable sacrifices I suppose. Maiya gives a few nods of understanding or murmurs as Mogami explained. It was difficult for a Crab to accept giving up land or allowing cities to fall, but surely the Lion knew more about strategy than her Clan.

"The portal is closed? Okay. That's definitely a good thing. Hai." She didn't want to ask why it was open in the first place.

"I hope the Imperial Legions are sent soon."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:38 pm 

Mogami eats slowly, savoring the flavors of the greens and fish.

“You have fought before, stood on the wall, yes?”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:44 am 

"Hai." Was the Lion going to acknowledge that, perhaps show an interest, or set it aside? Maiya was quite curious as she ate her meal.

As an aside, the meal was very enjoyable so there were pleased eating noises coming from the Crab every now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:48 am 

"I would like to hear about it, if you care to share tales. I have heard so many different things about the Wall and the Crab, one can never be sure what is true."

Mogami refills both of their teas and takes a drink, washing down the last of her fish.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:53 am 

Maiya scratched her cheer uncomfortably. "I can tell you a little. However, my sensei said to be careful talking to tell non-Crab about things beyond the Wall. That most outside the Clan do not like to hear it." She adjusted her seating posture. "What have you heard Matsu-sama?"

The Crab followed Mogami's lead and had some more of the tea. "Thank you. The warmth on another cold, rainy day is really nice."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:07 am 

"Not much, though the other day I had a Yogo who claimed to be a monster hunter begin to tell me some things. I informed her that such conversation was appropriate for court, but I would like to know more. In my room, there is no need to worry about things such as what is polite or impolite conversation. I am asking you to share your stories, so it would be silly of me to get upset with you."

"Indeed, I truly wish the rain would ease, it's making everything much more of an annoyance that I would prefer"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:23 am 

"Hai, it really is a bother - but Osamu-sama told me earlier today that it was brought about by the Celestial Water Dragon so... maybe it is a blessing in disguise?" Maiya blurts out, unable to resist sharing the new information she'd been imparted. Then again, it wasn't like the Mantis had said it was a secret.

"As for the Wall. Hm... you know the Shadowlands are to the South, ne? And that we built the wall because of an army of darkness led by a large demon, ne? So, on one side of the Wall you have buildings, people, animals... homes, children. Civilization. On the other are the bones of the dead, cracked earth and a horizon of despair. Anything that lives is turned to evil and dead. Even the dead rise up to serve against us." She wrinkled her nose, but continued. "If you look toward the Empire there are clouds and sometimes blue skies. If you look South the skies are often unnaturally coloured. Sometimes the sky is blue, sometimes it is dark red. Sometimes it rains normally, sometimes it rains acid or oil or even blood. And then there are the hateful creatures that the shadowlands somehow create." Her speech slowed so she could stress the name of each as her friendly expression left her. Her eyes turned dark. "Goblins, ogres, trolls, demons, bog hags, obake, onikage. Perhaps you have heard of some?"

She paused her tale for a long gulp of tea, eyes carefully on the Matsu. Her gaze was weighing how the other samurai-ko was taking her her sincere words. She already had an excuse and a new topic in mind, as her sensei had told her to prepare, in case Mogami seemed offended or found the truth laughable. So many thought it was all just scary stories to tell their children.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:29 am 

Mogami's eyes go wide.

"The Water Dragon? Well, I should stop complaining then, lest I offend it..."

As Maiya describes some of the Shadowlands and her duties, Mogami takes a clinical expression, listening and nodding along as one would to a professor or sensei teaching them.

"The Yogo I talked with tried to tell me some of the same things, before I stopped her. After all, we were in a court setting. So, it is not just tales told to scare children, eh? That....that is troublesome. How are any of us up here in the north supposed to know how to sort fact from fiction should the unthinkable happen and the wall falls?"

She motions for the Kaiu to continue on, and produces a small bottle of sweet sake for desert, filling both of their cups with the smallest amount that could still be considered a drink.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 am 

"Arigatou gozaimasu Matsu-sama." Her words are a little warmer in tone as she receives the wonderful gift of sake from Mogami. She'd have to return the favour somehow.

Nursing the sake cup between both hands Maiya studied it as she resumed where she had left off. "The only way to know would be to listen to someone that has fought such things before or, if possible, a Crab. We've been fighting them for centuries. They are certainly not just tales to scare children. Before other Clans mostly forgot the danger and before it was warped and made akin to a joke due to plays and ignorant pillow book authors, we all faced the enemy together. The era of the Seven Thunders, ne?" She stopped to look up to Mogami with a sudden smile. "Your noble ancestor, Lady Matsu, ne? She and the others saved the Empire and saved my Clan with their bravery and sacrifice."

Looking back to her cup she had a long sip until it was empty.

"The truth is, and this is the shameful heart of the matter, the threat from the South never ended. It was diminished, hai, but it is constantly seeking to strengthen itself. To return to how it was. That is why we have the taint. What you may have heard of as corruption." Without even shifting her gaze she reaches up into her kimono and tugs one of the strings around her neck, revealing a stick of bright green jade about a finger in length to the other woman. "We face it every day and even with protection, from jade like this, many fall prey to it. There is no cure."

Huffing, she sets down her cup and once again catches Mogami's eye. "Matsu-sama, I could tell you about fighting some creatures, like goblins and ogres and the undead, but really all any Crab bushi wants is for no others to have to face such things. Perhaps that is a flaw in our reasoning. I've often thought about it since leaving Crab lands. Perhaps it is tied to why the Empire mocks or denigrates any talk of Jigoku. Since we seek to shoulder the burden alone as our Duty, maybe others feel it is not theirs to be concerned about. I cannot say. I am no scholar, ano, no philosopher. However, even with this army of frenzied spirits nearby I feel that we are both luckier here than we would be if we were even one foot South of the Wall."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:53 am 

Mogami listens intently, and with great concern in her eyes. After Maiya finishes, Mogami just sits for a moment, taking a sip of the sweet desert sake and letting the silence ring out. After a while, she swallows, a sad smile crossing her face as she enjoys the taste.

"Truly, I did not know. Such a task, yet alone and unrewarded for undertaking it...while the rest of the Empire has petty border skirmishes or fights over a slighted courtiers feelings. I imagine the Crab must see us all as fools."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 am 

"I... I would rather not say Matsu-sama. I will say that sometimes it is the opposite. Some Crab see ourselves as the fools, but accept it regardless. It's our Duty, ne? Others are so gloomy that they see the whole Empire as foolish, only looking forward to their own deaths. We're a Clan of individuals just like any other, as you have shown me this afternoon."

She brightened up a touch.

"Thank you for showing me that." Now she grinned cheekily, showing another side of herself. "Ask me next time about when I helped put down an ogre after my further training. That was a good fight. No losses on our side. A big fellow he was too. I'll also tell you the story my Sensei told me back from when the Wall was built. The battle then. The sake will be my treat."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:14 am 

"I would love to hear them, one so I can enjoy your company, and two so I can learn more strategy and tactics. A good leader is always looking for ways to learn more about battles, after all."

Mogami stretches a little

"I forget, what brought you so far north to Nikesake?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:56 am 

"Then if we survive the siege to come I will share them with you at the end. Something else to fight for, ne?" Maiya offers before tapping her knuckles on the table and smiling wide.

"My sister's wedding. She married an Ikoma just over a week ago. It was a very formal wedding ceremony, yet very... poignant. What about you Matsu-sama?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:02 am 

"That's right, I remember now! Can you tell me about the ceremony? I do love hearing about weddings. Something about them just makes my heart skip. As far as me, I am here because I volunteered to keep the refugees from Toshi no Omoidoso safe on their journey here."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 am 

"I see. Very nice of you. Hmm." She shifted her chopsticks onto their rest to show she was done. Placing her chin on her right palm she recalled the wedding.

"I wouldn't say it was anything to make a heart skip, but the ceremony was very moving. Very traditional. There was the usual white to red kimono swap and the swearing of new oaths. Mostly solemn toasts with a few more interesting ones thrown in by Ikoma. The drinking afterwards was much more fun and rowdy." A smirk appears on her lips. "I didn't know arm wrestling was so popular in your Clan lands Matsu-sama."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next